Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 20th 2003, 2:11 pm

I'm just saying that I know people who make close to $100,000 a year and they still steal office supplies, take long lunches, etc. so I don't expect someone who makes minimum wage to be held to a higher standard.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 8th 2003, 12:43 am

The latest on the SpikeTV lawsuit: the case has finally been settled and TNN can now call itself SpikeTV. More info available here - the best part of the story: "While the case was pending, Lee was in Los Angeles filming "Sucker-Free City" for Showtime, a cable network owned by Viacom."

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 8th 2003, 1:19 am

candygirl wrote:"While the case was pending, Lee was in Los Angeles filming "Sucker-Free City" for Showtime, a cable network owned by Viacom."
Hmm...MTV should sue him since that sounds too close to MTV2's (or MTV cant remember which) Sucker Free Sundays.... tsk tsk

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 8th 2003, 4:58 am

lance wrote:[I had not heard "we won't sell Maxim" and "we're hiding the cover of Cosmo" business. However, this does not suprise me. Kroger here in Cincinnati, at the urging of local conservative evangelical groups, keeps Cosmo behind a cover.
The latest victim of Wal-Mart's ridiculous conservatism: Redbook. If you have ever read your mom's copy of Redbook, you are probably thinking the same thing that I am - namely, WTF?

You can read about it here

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 9th 2003, 12:41 am

For any Amberholics or fans of Andy Hallett (Lorne on Angel) or James Marsters (Spike), you can now purchase a copy of Chance, the movie written, produced, and directed by Amber Benson (Tara on BtVS).
You may now buy a signed never before seen photo (color 8x10) taken on the set of Chance or a signed second printing of the Chance poster and receive a FREE DVD or VHS copy of the film Chance. You will receive the photo or poster as soon as your order is processed. Once we have acquired enough orders to make our first shipment, the DVD or VHS will be sent to you.

So tell everyone you know -- The faster the orders come in, the faster we can deliver!

Prices and Payment

If you purchase ONLY the poster or ONLY the photo, the cost is $45 plus shipping and handling. You will receive one copy of the film. S&H in the United States is $6. International S&H - meaning anywhere other than the United States - is $10.

You may also purchase both the poster AND the photo. You will receive one copy of the film. The cost is $55 plus shipping and handling. S&H in the United States is $8. International S&H is $13.

We accept two methods of payment: PayPal or money orders. The money orders must be US money orders or drawn on US funds. Be sure to enclose your order form and use a name and address that will be good for 3 or 4 months.

Thank you for supporting all of the blood, sweat and tears that went into Chance. We hope to hear from you soon!
More info at the Chance website.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 11th 2003, 1:42 pm

As reported by fnordboy, tvshowsondvd has announced the BtVS S5 release as December 9 - woo hoo!!!

Special features include:
Original scripts for The Replacement, Fool for Love, and Checkpoint

Audio commentary for The Real Me (David Fury and David Grossman), Fool for Love (Doug Petrie), I Was Made to Love You (Jane Espenson), The Body (Joss Whedon)

Featurettes: Buffy Abroad, Demonology, Casting Buffy, Action Heroes! The Stunts of Buffy, The Story of Season 5, Natural Causes, Spotlight on Dawn

Outtakes

Trailers: BtVS S2-4, AtS S1-2, Buffy movie

Photo gallery

Website link

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2003, 1:30 pm

Below is a message from author Christopher Golden explaining some things about Chance.
This comes courtesy of author Christopher Golden at the Essence of Amber
Forum:
Hey all. Just got off the phone with Diane Benson and she asked me to spread the word about a couple of things. So here I am to do just that, as LW's still traveling. Also, for those of you who contributed to LW's Boston trip, either financially or by showing up in person to spread the love or by just sharing your good wishes in here, thank you so much.

Now, on to business . . . and PLEASE feel free to spread this around as you
see fit. Some people have been complaining about the price of the Chance Poster/DVD opportunity that first went live last week. "It's a ripoff." That sort of thing. Diane has asked me to explain a few things.

The effort to get Chance distributed and into the hands of the fans has been a bumpy one. I won't bore you with details here, but suffice it to say that there are issues having to do with everything from SAG to shooting on video to prudishness. Things might have worked out eventually, or might not have. At a certain point, Amber and Diane just didn't want people to have to wait any longer.

BUT . . . there are rules. Because of professional agreements with SAG,
Chance can not be sold to the general public without a whole boatload of
complications that would then make it impossible. That is why 1) You can NOT just buy Chance, but must instead buy the poster or photo and why 2) ANYTHING YOU'VE READ ABOUT IT BEING FOR SALE ELSEWHERE, INCLUDING ANY CONVENTIONS, IS NOT TRUE.

Subsequently, when trying to figure out how to resolve their dilemma, Diane was speaking to a SAG rep who said, quite literally, "just give it to them."

Of course that's ridiculous. They'd already sunk a great deal of money into
the movie and . . . and please make note of this . . . while a Hollywood studio might pay pennies per copy to make hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies of DVDs, it costs a great deal more (and I mean a GREAT deal more) when you're doing only a comparative handful. And, of course, going about it this way, there's no way to know how many copies will be needed as part of this poster/picture offer.

Still, Amber wanted to make the movie available to those people who had been waiting a long time to see it. Unfortunately, to print the pictures and posters, to arrange the mailing materials, to handle the e-mail, the orders, the money, and to manufacture the DVDs and videos . . . all of these things cost money. And that was going to be UP FRONT money.

Then came the idea . . . a signed photo or, even rarer, a signed Chance
poster could be sold and the DVD or video given away FREE with every order. This would lessen the up front risk and still let those who had been so patient get a look at Chance.
The average DVD is $15 to $20. The average independent DVD from a small distributor can be $30. An UNSIGNED poster can be easily $20. I'll be honest with you and say that I cautioned them that with international shipping and some other variables, they might not be charging enough.
No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. And there's that wonderful old
saying about not being able to please everyone, which is so darn true. The point is, people have been clamoring to see Chance, Amber put her heart and soul into making it (not to mention the budget), and this was the only way that could be found to get it to the audience. Considering what some conventions charge for a signed photo, I think it's a hell of a deal.

Now this part is from me: if you see people online complaining about the
price, ask them to go do a little research on the costs involved in mass producing and mailing DVDs or videos, not to mention printing photos and posters, the cost of those mailing tubes, all that fun stuff.
Personally, I think it's more than worth it. It's a brilliantly charming
movie with fantastic performances. I'm a little bothered by the suggestion that they're asking too much, as though anybody is going to be making a bundle out of it.

Amber was getting impatient, and she figured a lot of you were as well.
I hope you like it. I know you will. Diane also wanted me to thank everyone again for all their support throughout this process. It's been risk after risk, and it's only been possible with the enthusiasm of Amber's fans.
Finally, yes, I just posted this, but unless I'm asked to do something like
this, I don't speak on Amber's behalf, or on Diane's. Amber's site is Amber's site, my site is my site, and if you have a question for her or a message for her, I'm NOT a short cut to deliver it. Just a reminder for those of you who might be thinking along those lines.

And finally, finally all of you 'holics know this message isn't really meant
for you. I suspect I haven't told you anything you didnt' already know. But
you surf in places where they might not be as knowledgeable about all of this, and others visit here who might also not know the score.

Chris

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 21st 2003, 11:25 pm

At Saturday's Television Critics Association awards, Buffy the Vampire Slayer won the Heritage Award, which goes to a long-running show that has an impact beyond the boundaries of television. The other shows nominated in this category were Reading Rainbow, Law and Order, Saturday Night Live, and 60 Minutes. I know it isn't the same as an Emmy, but it's still something to be proud of!

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 22nd 2003, 5:31 am

Anytime you beat out competition like that it's definitely something to be proud of!

:o

A quick check of the TCA website revealed that the Heritage Award is only two years old, so for now Buffy joins The Simpsons as the winning duo.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 4th 2003, 3:58 pm

Sarah Michelle Gellar won Choice TV Drama Actress for her role in 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer at the 2003 Teen Choice Awards in Los Angeles on August 2, 2003. The show honors teenager's favorite film and television stars and will be telecast on the Fox television network August 6.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 26th 2003, 11:53 pm

According to www.teenradio.com, a new Buffy CD called "Radio Sunnydale" will be released on September 30!

1. Buffy Main Title Theme - Nerf Herder

2. Goodbye to You (Bronze Mix) - Michelle Branch

3. Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols

4. There's No Other Way - Blur

5. Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Melanie Doane

6. Sound of the Revolution - Lunatic Calm

7. Out of This World - Bush

8. Pavlov's Bell - Aimee Mann

9. Stop Thinking About It - Joey Ramone

10. Key - Devics

11. Ballad for Dead Friends - Dashboard Prophets

12. ORIGINAL SCORE - Rob Duncan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2003, 1:39 pm

A little rant about FX - it's bad enough that they cut up the episodes so that they can show more commercials. I can't stand their noisy ads that take up the bottom of the screen when they come back from commercials - I think the ones for Lucky (with the dice) were the worst because they were so loud and disruptive that sometimes I couldn't hear the dialogue for BtVS - you know, the show that was actually on. Then they do stupid things like skip episodes or have their online schedule say that they're airing particular episodes at a certain time and then show different episodes. Sadly, I have learned to live with those annoyances.

Now they're REALLY ticking me off. First they decided to move the evening episodes of BtVS from 6-8pm to 4-6pm. That is annoying in principle for people like me who have jobs and don't get home until about 6pm. It's even shadier because they are deliberately airing BtVS against the new AtS syndicated reruns on TNT at 5pm. Even though it wasn't a possibility for me, I thought how cool it was that some people would get to watch Angel at 5pm then Buffy 6-8pm - three hours of the Jossverse every night before dinner. FX isn't satisfied with airing BtVS and getting all of those advertising dollars - no, they have to be greedy and go into direct competition with a sister show and try to steal away TNT's audience (and hence their advertising dollars).

I'm not home by 5pm and I'm not in a Nielsen household, but I can tell you that if I was I would watch Angel instead of Buffy, if only for two reasons: (1) the principle that FX sucks and (2) I've seen every episode a bazillion times while there are a lot of Angel episodes I've only seen once or never. On top of this, the FX schedule now shows that they are getting rid of the morning episodes of Buffy too. Who knows how many more times they will change the schedule this month? Grrrrr...arghhhh!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 28th 2003, 1:54 pm

An explanation from http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2002/07/3009.cfm about why the Breeders are singing the BtVS theme on the new soundtrack:
The Breeders To Vamp It Up On Buffy?
Tuesday July 30, 2002 @ 05:30 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff
The Breeders
While some lefty types pride themselves on not having a TV, more and more hipster artists are publicly declaring their love of the boob tube these days. Everyone who's anyone is showing up on The Simpsons, The Gilmore Girls happily name drop indie bands left right and centre and one of ChartAttack's all-time favourite TV shows, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, has long supported independent artists. Indie-punk band Nerf Herder provide the show's theme song, there's a constant parade of cool bands playing at The Bronze (the club where Buffy and her Scooby gang go dancing) and now it looks like the show may enjoy some high profile cameos from Kim and Kelley Deal.
We've known for a while that the twin leaders of The Breeders were having a love affair with Buffy — the band have been known to cover the Buffy theme at their live shows and earlier this year when we interviewed them, Kelley accused Kim of spending her days doing little more than watching Buffy re-runs. Now the band will be committing their version of the Buffy theme to wax as a B-side on their next single.
The single, for a track called "Son Of Three," which also appears on this year's Title T.K. album, will be released in the U.K. on September 21 by the 4AD label. In addition to the Buffy theme, the single will also include a live version of 1992's "Safari," which was recorded earlier this year in Amsterdam.
According to the band's 4AD website, The Breeders' cover of the Buffy theme has sparked a mutual admiration society between the Deals and Buffy's producers. With any luck, the twins should appear in an episode of Buffy at some point this season (which is rumoured to be Buffy's last — drat!). There's no word yet if the Deals will play vampires, demons, witches, evil high school principals, animate dolls, flying monkeys, ghosts, robots or creepy telepathic twins that finish each others' sentences. Either way, as long as Spike is in the episode (web chat leads us to believe that he'll return this year as a human), it's bound to be gold.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Aug 29th 2003, 3:27 pm

candygirl wrote:A little rant about FX - it's bad enough that they cut up the episodes so that they can show more commercials. I can't stand their noisy ads that take up the bottom of the screen when they come back from commercials - I think the ones for Lucky (with the dice) were the worst because they were so loud and disruptive that sometimes I couldn't hear the dialogue for BtVS - you know, the show that was actually on. Then they do stupid things like skip episodes or have their online schedule say that they're airing particular episodes at a certain time and then show different episodes. Sadly, I have learned to live with those annoyances.

Now they're REALLY ticking me off. First they decided to move the evening episodes of BtVS from 6-8pm to 4-6pm. That is annoying in principle for people like me who have jobs and don't get home until about 6pm. It's even shadier because they are deliberately airing BtVS against the new AtS syndicated reruns on TNT at 5pm. Even though it wasn't a possibility for me, I thought how cool it was that some people would get to watch Angel at 5pm then Buffy 6-8pm - three hours of the Jossverse every night before dinner. FX isn't satisfied with airing BtVS and getting all of those advertising dollars - no, they have to be greedy and go into direct competition with a sister show and try to steal away TNT's audience (and hence their advertising dollars).

I'm not home by 5pm and I'm not in a Nielsen household, but I can tell you that if I was I would watch Angel instead of Buffy, if only for two reasons: (1) the principle that FX sucks and (2) I've seen every episode a bazillion times while there are a lot of Angel episodes I've only seen once or never. On top of this, the FX schedule now shows that they are getting rid of the morning episodes of Buffy too. Who knows how many more times they will change the schedule this month? Grrrrr...arghhhh!
Candygirl,

Allow me...(rolls up old newspaper) Bad, bad FX! (Whack, whack!) Stop ruining Candy's day. Don't make her cranky.

LanceMan

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 29th 2003, 3:56 pm

Thanks Lance! Do you think we have beaten them into submission yet? I have plenty more newspapers left to roll up!

:wink: