Heatwave

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Heatwave

Post by lance » Aug 12th 2003, 2:24 pm

I was curious as to how our European members are dealing with the apparent record heatwave sweeping Europe. Are you managing to stay cool? Do you have air conditioning?

Here in Cincy, in August it is normally hot and humid, but not much rain. Right now we are unsually cool and experiencing many a thunderstorm.

Lance Man

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Heatwave

Post by Sascha » Aug 12th 2003, 6:17 pm

Well, at least here in South-West Germany, we have the biggest heat behind us. Tomorrow will be the last hot day with temperatures around 39°C. We had really tropical conditions here, night temperatures not below 23°C (73°F). Even our all-time national temperature record was broken only a few kilometers from where I live: 40,8°C (105°F) is the new record in Germany. We didn't have such a long and intense summer in over threehundred years.

I have no air conditoning (usually it's not needed in our region), so I took a few days off and spent most of the time writing on my thesis in our basement - thank god it was much cooler there :-) Right now, it's midnight, I'm back in my living room, still around 30°C and I'm sweating like hell, but I like that much more than freezing my ass off in February ;-)

But apart from the heat and the dryness, we had no major problems. The price for vegetables is going through the roof and our garden looks like some African dryland ;-). But at least we had no major fires like in Portugal, Spain and Italy.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

heatwave

Post by lance » Aug 15th 2003, 11:36 am

Sab,

Glad to hear that you have survived the heat, in style no less :D

Heard about 3,000 people dying in France. Yikes!

Sounds like the worst of the summer heat maybe behind Europe, hopefully.

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Aug 20th 2003, 8:43 am

All i can say is that I'm glad I didn't have to deal with it, as I was away in the cooler, air conditioned US. I have been hearing tales of woe from colleagues however, and around London on the flight home you could see brown field after brown field. I have never seen things look that dry before. All my carefully grown plants that were outside have died, but that's small fry in comparison to mainland europe.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

The Talented Krakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by The Talented Krakow » Aug 20th 2003, 11:03 am

Didn't know this was news in the US.

It has been extremely warm here indeed, but most of us survived :). It's now a lot cooler, it even rained yesterday.
"My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, 'How was that drive-by shooting?' You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky to get out alive."