Scott Winant and Dead Like Me (2003-2004)

Get updates and talk about new (or "pre-LIFE") projects of former "My So-Called Life" cast and crew members in this forum.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Scott Winant and Dead Like Me (2003-2004)

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 26th 2003, 9:47 am

Scott Winant is directing the Showtime series Dead Like Me, which premiers Friday night at 10 PM ET.

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/review/2003 ... index.html

http://www.sho.com/deadlikeme/index.cfm

The show sounds pretty interesting. It makes me want to get cable back.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 26th 2003, 11:01 am

I saw a preview for this show Saturday night. It looks cool. Worth watching the premiere episode, anyway.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 26th 2003, 4:44 pm

Scott Winant, eh? That explains why I have seen it advertised as MSCL meets BtVS!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 26th 2003, 4:55 pm

Just let me know when the BitTorrent becomes available. I don't have Showtime anymore. :)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 2nd 2003, 8:30 am

I've only seen the first four episodes of "Dead Like Me" so far, but it's already close to top "Six Feet Under" as my "currently favorite tvshow". The pilot episode (directed by Scott Winant) was amazing - there were so many MSCL-ish scenes and MSCL-ish camera moves. And the "invisible" sister instantly reminded me of Danielle. Of course, the Angela-like VoiceOvers are also very MSCL-ish.

But the rest of the show is great too IMHO. It's hilarious weird, dark, original, funny, sad, sarcastic and thoughtful - all in one. Ellen Muth (the main character Georgia "George" "toiletseat" ;-)) does an excellent job, she always has a really weird face expression - it's priceless. :-) Can't wait for the next episode :-)

I've also already seen the pilot of the new fall show "Joan Of Arcadia", which has a similiar theme (god talks to teenage girl), but "Dead Like Me" is way better.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 4th 2003, 9:34 am

This is becoming one of my husband and my favorite shows. I love the character of George! She cracks me up. Especially when she is reacting to Dolores Herbig, as in "Her big brown eyes". :lol:

I also love Reggie and the mother. The mother looks so familiar to me. Does anyone know what else she has been in? It was awesome when Reggie walked over to the group of boys and picked up the dead bird and shoved it in her bag. And the "toilet-tree" is classic.

My husband and I said that this show is actually getting better, which rarely happens. Usually a show starts off great and slowly declines. This one is getting better as it finds it's voice. Very, very good show.

Mandy Patinkin is awesome. Great actor and a great role.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Aug 5th 2003, 3:56 am

Hee, there was a reported sighting of a Thirty Seconds to Mars poster on George's apartment wall!

:D

Megs - Cynthia Stevenson is probably best known as Gloria on "Hope and Gloria." She also played Liz in Forget Paris and Joanne in Home for the Holidays. You can view her filmography here.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 5th 2003, 4:31 am

candygirl wrote:Hee, there was a reported sighting of a Thirty Seconds to Mars poster on George's apartment wall!
Yeah, I recognized that too :) Feels like "6 degrees of My So-Called Life"...
Megs - Cynthia Stevenson is probably best known as Gloria on "Hope and Gloria." She also played Liz in Forget Paris and Joanne in Home for the Holidays. You can view her filmography here.
I couldn't remember seeing her in any of these movies - I think I saw her in that short-lived sitcom "Hey Baby". It was about a mother who watches scenes from her life on a tv or something.

BTW: The sixth episode of "Dead Like Me" was hilarious - again. The whole bowling/pinball analogy storyline was lovely. The departure of Rebecca Gayheart is a loss, but let's see what the writers make out of that new character. Anyway, I can only recommend to everyone reading this: Watch this show! :-)

chaseface888
Tino

Post by chaseface888 » Aug 14th 2003, 12:15 am

Yeah, too bad we have the cheap cable package that has like 4 cable channels in it so i can't watch it
Ethel the Pirate's Daughter

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 15th 2003, 12:12 pm

Does anyone know if http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com will be doing recaps of Dead Like Me? I can't find any info on this at their site, and I don't post on the forum there (as it is very strict and I would rather not piss off the posters and the moderators).

Thanks!

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Aug 15th 2003, 12:47 pm

Megs wrote:Does anyone know if http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com will be doing recaps of Dead Like Me?
Doesn't look like it. I read a few postings in their Dead Like Me forum thread a few days ago and someone mentioned that nobody will recap the show :-(

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Aug 15th 2003, 1:07 pm

sab wrote:
Megs wrote:Does anyone know if http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com will be doing recaps of Dead Like Me?
Doesn't look like it. I read a few postings in their Dead Like Me forum thread a few days ago and someone mentioned that nobody will recap the show :-(
I didn't see the Dead Like Me forum when I searched the boards... Thanks!

I wonder why they won'trecap this one?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 16th 2003, 3:10 pm

"Dead Like Me" just got renewed for a second season. The 15 new episodes will be shot in early 2004 and start airing in summer 2004.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Sep 16th 2003, 3:28 pm

Woohoo!!!

Thanks for the news Sascha!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Hunee
Between Names

Post by Hunee » Oct 22nd 2003, 10:07 am

i love that show!!!
so make the best of this test, and dont ask why
its not a question, but a lesson learned in time its something unpredictable, but in the end is right i hope you had the time of your life