The Dead Zone

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
pistolpeg
Liberty High Student

The Dead Zone

Post by pistolpeg » Jul 30th 2003, 11:36 am

Does anyone watch this show? I had never seen it, but my sister loves it and pestered me to get the first season on DVD. She promised to buy them if I didn't like the show. I was really pleasantly surprised. Its also kinda strange to see Anthony Michael Hall all grown up.
Sometimes someone says something really small, and it just fits right into this empty place in your heart.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 30th 2003, 11:54 am

Wait, was he in the Breakfast Club? I always wondered what he got up to since then.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 30th 2003, 12:08 pm

Anthony Michael Hall was in The Breakfast Club. Other than Weird Science, I can't recall his other movies. He was also on Saturday Night Live for a season. And, of course, he starred opposite one of my faves, Molly Ringwald, in Sixteen Candles. Molly was also in The Breakfast Club.
Last edited by TomSpeed on Jul 30th 2003, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2003, 1:40 pm

Anthony Michael Hall was also in National Lampoon's Vacation (as Rusty) and in Edward Scissorhands (playing Winona Ryder's jock boyfriend) - the first role that showed the "new" him. Can you believe he turned down the lead in Ferris Bueller to avoid typecasting?

:shock:

Anyway, you can view his filmography here
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 30th 2003, 1:55 pm

candygirl wrote: Can you believe he turned down the lead in Ferris Bueller to avoid typecasting?

I am glad he did, the movie would not be what it is today if he would have taken the role.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2003, 2:07 pm

"I miss 'Ferris' Matthew. Broadway Matthew? I find him cold."

:mrgreen:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 30th 2003, 2:15 pm

candygirl wrote:Anthony Michael Hall was also in National Lampoon's Vacation (as Rusty) and in Edward Scissorhands (playing Winona Ryder's jock boyfriend) - the first role that showed the "new" him. Can you believe he turned down the lead in Ferris Bueller to avoid typecasting?

Anyway, you can view his filmography here
It also said that he turned down a role in Pretty in Pink. What character, so you think? Ducky?

And would he really be cast as Ferris and not Cameron?

(I edited candygirl's post by mistake; I thought I hit the "quote" button, and I hit the "edit" button. Sorry!!)
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 30th 2003, 2:37 pm

Megs wrote:(I edited candygirl's post by mistake; I thought I hit the "quote" button, and I hit the "edit" button. Sorry!!)
You must always refer to that as "Pulling a Sascha". ;) :lol:

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 30th 2003, 3:16 pm

I forgot about Edward Scissorhands. That's a really good movie. I remember that some people were surprised to see that AMH had "filled out." His role was also much darker than previous roles. Good movie! I fell in love with Miss Ryder for awhile after seeing it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jul 30th 2003, 3:17 pm

I really enjoyed Matthew in Election. Reese Witherspoon was very good in that movie as well. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you check it out.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 30th 2003, 3:59 pm

fnordboy wrote:
Megs wrote:(I edited candygirl's post by mistake; I thought I hit the "quote" button, and I hit the "edit" button. Sorry!!)
You must always refer to that as "Pulling a Sascha". ;) :lol:
:lol: Yeah, I pulled a Sascha!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Jul 31st 2003, 3:47 pm

I watched a few episodes of THE DEADZONE and have to say that I was not impressed. This t.v. show was based on a movie of the same title starring Christopher Walken. I liked the movie better. I thought the show suffered because it really focuses on one thing. It was a difficult idea to expand on.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Aug 1st 2003, 11:03 pm

I have enjoyed the few epidodes of Dead Zone that I have seen. They seem to do a good job with the psychometry, and I was already a fan of Nicole de Boer from her previous work on Deep Space Nine.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Aug 2nd 2003, 12:54 am

I've been a fan of the King novel and the film version, so the bar was pretty high for me when the series debuted, but I have to say that I've enjoyed the show.

They're stretching the narrative of the book across entire seasons, so that took care of any concerns that they's ruin the basic premise.

I do have to say that season two wasn't as good as the first, and from what I hear about plans for S3, it could get too caught up in bizarre story lines.

Gary

MartinPierre
Yearbook Team

Post by MartinPierre » Dec 10th 2003, 4:51 pm

So far, I partly disagree : I admit I haven't seen all the episodes of Season 2 but I think season 2 is partly stronger...

Of course, character development was stronger in Season 1, since it was new,

but on Season 2 they really expand the visions...

Like the episode where Walt is in a Coma...

Or the one in the Plane ?

The Outsider ( the one with the drug causing birth defects ) was also really cool...