Limited Set of Speed Racer on DVD?

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Limited Set of Speed Racer on DVD?

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 27th 2003, 12:10 am

I'm big fan of Speed Racer. Like MSCL, you just can't find it on TV anymore. Also like MSCL, it's available on DVD. You can find out how to buy it here. Now, I don't know about you, but this offer seems strangely familiar to me. There isn't any mention of a lunch box or a replica of the Mach 5, but shipping and handling is included. Only 1000 sets were made? And some remaining sets were found in the archives? This pitch sounds very fishy.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 27th 2003, 2:22 am

I do remember when this set was originally offered - my sister preordered it a few months before I preordered MSCL. I believe that the set was released in early 2002. I have serious qualms about ordering special "archived" sets from a place that is not the official website (http://www.speedracer.com) - is the other site an official fansite? Also of note - they are selling the sets for $50 more than the original price.

I know it isn't the same thing, but they are officially releasing the first 11 episodes on a "collector's edition" DVD on April 22.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 27th 2003, 10:06 am

I'm registered for email updates at SpeedRacer.com, so I can only assume the offer comes from the official site. Of course, the people who own the rights to the name could have sold the rights to produce the DVDs to someone else. It's good to know that your sister received her DVDs. I'm not sure about whether the special edition version of 11 episodes and this complete version are related. The part about only 1000 sets being produced and these remaining sets were "found in the archives" bothers me, too. How many are left? How will I know if my almost $300 will actually buy anything? How long would I have to wait for a refund? It could be that the people who own the name to the series are going to roll out the entire series on the mass market. Would buying the episodes as they become available be cheaper than this offer for the whole series?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 27th 2003, 10:27 am

I guess I can do some math. The 11 episode special edition is available for $17.24 on Amazon.com. There are 52 episodes. Take 52/11 and you get 4.7. Round that up to 5. Multiply $17.24 by 5. You get $86.20. Take $299 and subtract $86.20 and you get $212.80. I'm not willing to pay $212.80 more for the same thing. Thanks Candygirl for the info on the special edition. Hopefully, all of the epsiodes will be released through a well known retail outlet.
TomSpeed

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 29th 2003, 5:37 pm

From tvshowsondvd:
2nd DVD release previewed at VSDA show 7/29/2003
Daniel Frankel of Video Business Magazine is reporting from the VSDA show in Las Vegas with news about Artisan Entertainment's pre-show announcements (free registration is required to view that link).

Mentioned in passing in the article is that among the items previewed was "a second Speed Racer collector's edition".

Even though this was the only information provided, this ought to be good news for those who have been aching for ANY sign that more was on-the-way. Stay tuned; we'll have more for you just as soon as it's available.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 30th 2003, 1:22 am

[quote=from speedracerdsl.com]
DVD Classic Speed Racer Library

Official Speed Racer DVD Box Set

PLEASE NOTICE: THIS OFFER IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE.[/quote]

Did it sell out or was it cancelled?

IMHO, the offer was too AU-ish.

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2003, 1:37 am

If the set you're talking about is the one I remember, they released the entire series on DVD as a limited edition (with an AU-like preorder) then ended up having some extras that they continued to sell off after the fact. Either they sold off the last of the excess or they don't want to compete with the most recent releases. Like I said, my sister bought the set and had no problems with the company.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 30th 2003, 9:16 am

It's good to hear that there is a good possibility that all episodes of Speed Racer will be released on DVD. I've been tempted to buy the set with only 11 episodes, but I really want all of them. I thought the offer for the original complete series DVD set sounded a great deal like AU. However, in defense of the company that released the Speed Racer set, it seems to have delivered the goods. The set was just too expensive for me. And after reading about AU on this forum, I was very skeptical of ordering something from a company I didn't know anything about.
TomSpeed

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 5th 2005, 11:13 pm

News from tvshowsondvd:
Speed Racer - Collector's Edition Vol 3 is coming out on May 24th, as we mentioned the other day. Like we said at the time, the cost is $22.95 SRP for 13 more episodes from the classic animated series. And now we have artwork to show you of the special limited edition packaging, designed to look like the wheel on a racing car. Enjoy!
You can view the artwork here.