Firefly DVD and Movie Planned

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 23rd 2003, 9:34 pm

My order for Firefly has been placed! Thanks CG!

:D

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2003, 9:59 pm

Anything I can do to enable someone else's OCD!

Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 23rd 2003, 10:24 pm

Wow. Firefly is at #3 on Amazon's sales rank, just barely beating Buffy 5.

I am going to wait and see what Best Buy has to offer price wise when it comes out. I just can't pre order something that comes out in December. The wait kills me.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 24th 2003, 1:22 am

Yup, Firefly has been #3 all day (behind the two version of the new LOTR DVD). I wonder if Fox still thinks it was a good idea to cancel that show.

Buffy was #5 most of the day but has moved up to #4.

I totally understand your preorder logic. I haven't preordered because I will probably end up getting it cheaper at Cost Co.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 24th 2003, 1:35 am

candygirl wrote:Yup, Firefly has been #3 all day (behind the two version of the new LOTR DVD). I wonder if Fox still thinks it was a good idea to cancel that show.

Buffy was #5 most of the day but has moved up to #4.

I totally understand your preorder logic. I haven't preordered because I will probably end up getting it cheaper at Cost Co.

oops... I almost pulled a Sascha and hit edit instead of quote <gulp>

Anyway. I most likely will get Buffy 5 at either CostCo or Best Buy. CostCo has had good prices for the Buffy sets so far and maybe they will run some special with Angel 2/Buffy 5 buy one get a coupon off or some deal. I have to see. I will just pick up Firefly (which I have never seen btw) whereever I get Buffy.

What the hell is it about anyway? I am figuring it is good since it is Joss and Gary and you seem to like it. :P

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 24th 2003, 2:01 am

It's like the Wild West but with spaceships. I have only seen a few episodes, but many of the cast members have appeared on other Joss shows (Nate Fillion appeared as Caleb on BtVS S5, Gina Torres appeared as Jasmine on AtS S4, Summer Glau appeared as the ballerina on AtS S3, and a lot of the crew came from BtVS or AtS). I haven't seen enough to know if I really like it (Friday night time slot - bad!), but in Joss I trust.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 24th 2003, 2:09 am

Cool I will pick it up and see what I think. Worst case I will ebay it ;)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jul 24th 2003, 4:32 am

fnordboy wrote:oops... I almost pulled a Sascha
LOL :-)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 4th 2003, 2:01 pm

It's a go! The latest news:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtm ... ID=3384262

'Firefly' Lands in Film Afterlife
Thu September 04, 2003 01:26 AM ET

By Zorianna Kit and Chris Gardner
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The short-lived TV series "Firefly" is moving to the big screen.

After taking his "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" feature film and turning it into a successful TV series, "Firefly" creator Joss Whedon is about to do the reverse with his Fox cult hit, which will be released theatrically by Universal Pictures.

In addition to adapting it for the big screen, Whedon will also make his feature directorial debut with the project. Plans are to see "Firefly" go into production in first-quarter 2004.

Universal recently acquired the rights to "Firefly" from 20th Century Fox Television, where Whedon's Mutant Enemy Inc. production company has a television deal.

The action-adventure series was set 500 years in the future and centered on a crew aboard a spaceship. The feature version will incorporate the mythology from the show but will take on a more epic feel. Whedon hopes to enlist the entire cast to come back for the feature, depending on their previous commitments, with new characters added as well.

"Ever since the show went off the air, our fan base has grown even more," said Mutant Enemy president Christopher Buchanan. "We've had tremendous outpouring from the U.S. and Canada as well as the U.K., which just finished a run of 'Firefly' over there. Every comic book and sci-fi convention has had a 'Firefly' presence since the show first aired."

For the series, which ran this past season, Whedon produced 15 hours of television, including a two-hour episode. Three shows never aired on Fox but will likely be featured on the series' DVD release, due out in December. Buchanan said fans created such a demand that DVD presales on Amazon.com sold out within 24 hours.

Whedon's feature film screenplay credits include "Titan A.E.," "Alien: Resurrection" and "Toy Story."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Sep 4th 2003, 5:26 pm

Nice! I'm looking forward to a fun movie. I'm not looking for a huge epic with a $200 million budget, just a solid story. Like the show had.

Thanks candy! :D

Gary

p.s. I hope that little hottie, Jewel Staite, is in it again...

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 4th 2003, 5:53 pm

I remember when I used to watch her on Nickelodeon!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 10th 2003, 11:35 am

:cry: Looks to be some bad news may be coming soon:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
thedigitalbits.com wrote: In other news, it looks like Fox is temporarily delaying the release of the next seasons of Buffy and Firefly. We'll post more details when we get them from the studio.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Sep 15th 2003, 2:13 pm

GAH!

My hope is that the set is being delayed to coincide with the upcoming film, but as I read on another forum, Fox isn't bankrolling the moving (Universal is).

For all they know, the film could tank or never happen at all, and that could hurt sales of the set. My set. The one we wants. My precious...

:shock:

Hmm. I better lay off the Tolkien for a while.

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 15th 2003, 2:24 pm

I think this is just Fox trying to bitch-slap Amazon because they (Fox) are tired of Amazon putting up BtVS, AtS, and other DVDs up on their site for pre-sale before Fox has given the official okay. It seems stupid to punish all of the fans for this though. Why should I have to wait a few more months because Fox is trying to punish Amazon?

There is absolutely NO reason to delay BtVS S5 since the set was already put together (featurettes, special features, etc.) for R2 & R4 ages ago. All they need to do for R1 is press them, package them, and ship them. I would understand a little more if they delayed Firefly since they are still doing special features, recording commentary, etc. If Fox chooses to delay these releases, they will miss out on the holiday season (although I suppose that doesn't matter much since diehard fans will buy the sets no matter what the release date is).

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 15th 2003, 2:26 pm

GaryEA wrote:My precious...

:shock:

Hmm. I better lay off the Tolkien for a while.
I actually saw the South Park episode before I saw TTT, so every time I saw Gollum on the big screen, I started cracking up.

:oops: