Open Mic Catches California Democrats

Political Discussion: You've been warned! Please remember we are all friends here. Insults will not be tolerated!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Open Mic Catches California Democrats

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 22nd 2003, 7:42 pm

Considering the fact that I (and all other state employees) were notified that we will be paid minimum wage if the budget crisis is not resolved, this totally sucks (aside from the obvious suckiness).
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Unaware that a live microphone was broadcasting their words around the Capitol, Assembly Democrats meeting behind closed doors debated prolonging California's budget crisis for political gain.  

Members of the coalition of liberal Democrats talked about slowing progress on the budget as a means of increasing pressure on Republicans.

A microphone had been left on during the closed meeting Monday, and the conversation was transmitted to about 500 "squawk boxes" that enable staff members, lobbyists and reporters to listen in on legislative meetings.

Some members of the group, including Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg, said if the budget crisis were extended, it could improve chances for a ballot initiative that would make it easier for the Democrats to raise taxes by lowering the threshold for passage from two-thirds to 55 percent.

"No one is running" for re-election, she said, according to a transcript made by Republicans. "And maybe you end up better off than you would have, and maybe you don't. But what you do is show people that you can't get to this without a 55 percent vote."

Assembly Republican Leader Dave Cox said that he was disappointed that Democrats would consider using the budget crisis to their political advantage.

Goldberg said her comments were part of a larger discussion about whether it would be better to make deeper cuts this year to give taxpayers a taste of how bad things would be without a tax increase.

"It meant whether or not we do the things this year or next year that let the public understand how serious the situation is," Goldberg said.
source: yahoo news
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 22nd 2003, 11:47 pm

Assembly Republican Leader Dave Cox said that he was disappointed that Democrats would consider using the budget crisis to their political advantage.
And the Republicans wouldn't? Riiiight...

Only difference is that someone would remember to turn the microphones off.

Gary

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jul 23rd 2003, 12:07 am

I think that using ground zero to get elected is a little bit worse than what the cali democrats said they'd do.
Only difference is that someone would remember to turn the microphones off.
Are we forgetting Bush and Cheney's exchange? "Oh yeah, bigtime."
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jul 23rd 2003, 12:30 am

andrewgd wrote:I think that using ground zero to get elected is a little bit worse than what the cali democrats said they'd do.
Agreed.
andrewgd wrote:Are we forgetting Bush and Cheney's exchange? "Oh yeah, bigtime."
Wow. I totally forgot about that. That settles it - no microphones for politicians!

:D

Gary

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jul 23rd 2003, 9:35 am

I'm sorry to hear that, CG... that's pretty miserable. But the bit about the mic being on cracked me up :D

I've been reading a bit about the dire state of California recently, but I'm not entirely sure what is going on, I have to say. I do find it interesting though... Gray Davis can be given the boot if the campaigners get a certain number of signatures from residents, right? So far as I understand, they have stopped collecting and are now counting and validating - they look as though they might achieve the required numbers. So what happens then? He's automatically booted, or is there an investigation, or what? Is another election then held to decide his successor?

What I'm not really sure of is why this all started. Did he make some appalling decisions? I remember something about rolling blackouts and it being because he deregulated the energy companies who then took advantage and said that they didn't have enough power unless people were charged more for their power etc. But then the regulation was reinstated and the world didn't fall apart and everybody still has electricity. I understand that California is in serious trouble with a $40bn defecit or something (in fact I recently got a letter from UCAL saying they needed to terminate some research because they couldn't be sure of the budget at all for following years).

I would love to hear your pov on it CG. All the articles I have read assume a fair bit of pre-existing knowledge on the situation in California and the state laws etc.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jul 23rd 2003, 12:29 pm

My favorite open mic moment was Reagan joking that B52 bombers were on the way to Russia before a debate. Everyone knew where Reagan stood in terms of those Ruskies.

Man...I am old.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/