Friendster

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Friendster

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 18th 2003, 6:40 pm

Has anyone else joined Friendster? My friend sent me an invitation link months ago and I have been studiously ignoring it. I was cleaning out my inbox today and decided to join, just so I could delete her email without feeling guilty :oops:

Thumbs up? Thumbs down? Love it? Hate it? Anything?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jul 18th 2003, 7:34 pm

Do it! Must...make...friendster web....larger!!!

I'll check my profile later and post the name here so EVERYONE can be my friend! Yay!
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 18th 2003, 7:45 pm

Hee, I just got my first confirmation email that said, "_______ is your friend" which I found to be hilarious!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 21st 2003, 9:30 am

What's friendster?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 21st 2003, 3:33 pm

How to explain Friendster...

According to their website:
Friendster is an online community that connects people through networks of friends for dating or making new friends.

You can use Friendster to:
Meet new people to date, through your friends and their friends
Make new friends
Help your friends meet new people

Create your own personal and private community, where you can interact with people who are connected to you through networks of mutual friends. It's easy and fun!

How does it work?

Friendster allows you to create a personal and private networking community where you can network through your friends, their friends, and so on.

How do I use Friendster?

Just create a quick profile and add your friends to your personal and private networking community. Then you can see the friends of your friends, and browse and search through all of the people connected to you through networks of friends. You can view photos and profiles, see how you are connected to people, send messages, ask friends for introductions, or suggest matches between people.

Is Friendster only for dating?

Friendster can be used for all types of social networking, such as making friends, meeting other couples, or people with kids, etc.

Should I use Friendster if I am not single?

Sure, you can use Friendster just to make friends, or to help your single friends meet people.

How is Friendster different from other online dating services?

Traditional online dating services are based on searching through large numbers of anonymous profiles. Friendster is based on networking through your friends. Your photo and profile will be shown only to people in your personal network. You will send and receive messages only with people connected to you through a series of mutual friends. You will be able to see how you are connected to people you are interested in, and either contact them directly, or ask a friend to make an introduction.

How many people can I meet using Friendster?

A lot! How many exactly depends on how you and your friends use Friendster. It could be hundreds or thousands. Every new friend that you or one of your friends add could bring over hundreds of new people to your personal network.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Jul 22nd 2003, 11:56 pm

How is "Friendster" different from say this forum? No here dates each other (to my knowledge), but other than that, it sounds the same.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 22nd 2003, 11:59 pm

dTheater wrote:No here dates each other (to my knowledge)
And a hearty hallelujah to that because I have been to some boards where there ended up being a lot of, how shall we say, offline activity among the members and things turned ugly.

At Friendster you get to check out your friends' friends' friends' friends instead of just your friends so it lends a little more weight and reality to meeting people online since you know it's a real person. Doesn't mean they aren't psychopaths who are going to hack up your body parts and leave them in the desert, but it cuts down on that just a little.

:D

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jul 23rd 2003, 12:03 am

candygirl wrote: . . . and things turned ugly.
Darn, there go my plans with candygirl! :P She was my backup-plan if 'indie girl' didn't work out!

Oops, am I talking online again? :shock: I gotta stop that.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 23rd 2003, 12:09 am

I don't know if I should take it as an insult or a compliment that I'm the back burner girl!

:jumplaugh:

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jul 28th 2003, 12:48 pm

I just joined Friendstar, thanks to candygirl. :wink:

Be my friend, you know you want to!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 28th 2003, 1:12 pm

It's so affirming and validating to get those emails: "Megs is your friend!"

:mrgreen:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Sep 1st 2004, 5:40 am

An employee of "Friendster" was fired on Monday for blogging two times about her company. She didn't actually publish any secret informations, but the "Friendster" management decided to can her anyway.

Now this is turning into kind of a PR-nightmare for "Friendster". The news about "troutgirl" being fired spread through the blogging community in a few hours and a lot of people are now cancelling their Friendster accounts. I wonder how long it will take for this to appear on "slashdot"....