Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2003, 2:08 pm

Confirmation of Kristin's casting info, plus more details on S5 in an interview with Joss Whedon at SciFi Wire:

[spoiler]Joss Whedon, co-creator of The WB's Angel, told SCI FI Wire that former Buffy the Vampire Slayer supporting player Mercedes McNab (Harmony) will join the cast as a recurring player in the upcoming fifth season, one of many changes coming up. McNab's Harmony and a second as-yet-uncast new recurring female character will join James Marster's Spike on the show, Whedon added in an interview at The WB's fall press preview.

"Well, Spike and Harmony do have a history," Whedon said, referring to the vampire duo's steamy affair on Buffy. "But that doesn't mean they'll necessarily hook up. It just means we love Mercedes, and we want to see more of her."

As for how Marster's character—who met a fiery end in the Buffy series finale last May—comes back, Whedon remained silent. "I can't really give you much of a hint [as to how Spike will be integrated into the show], except that badly would be the word," Whedon said. "Because he sticks out like a sore thumb, which is exactly what we always hire him to do. I see him not fitting in. And that's exactly what they need right now. Because, although they all have their separate agendas, to an extent, they're a team. And when you're a team, you need somebody to come in and f--k up the team."

In the coming fifth season, Angel will move out of its hotel set into a swanky, new set representing the Wolfram & Hart law firm, where Whedon said to look for "West Wing" style camera movements. Whedon added that big changes are in store for the character of Charles Gunn, played by J. August Richards—a transformation that was foreshadowed in last season's finale. "Yeah, he's going to go through some interesting changes," Whedon said. "And again, we'll find out early on what it is, but not exactly what it means. But, yeah, you know, Gunn is somebody that we felt was a little underutilized. J.'s an amazing actor. And we thought Wolfram & Hart would be the perfect venue to find a new side of him. So we're shaking it up."

Angel will return to its regular timeslot, Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT, in the fall.[/spoiler]
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

more spoilers

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jul 16th 2003, 11:17 am

from the buffy cross and stake:

[spoiler]rumour has it that lindsey will be back. also marcy the invisible girl from season 1 of buffy [/spoiler]

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 16th 2003, 2:52 pm

So I started watching Angel Season 1. I am such a little bitch now ;)

I am enjoying it so far. Some episodes are pretty dumb (the one with Cordelia's haunted apartment...dumb dumb dumb), but some are pretty good. Nowhere near the Buffy level, but good nonetheless.

Just wanted to share my debasement.

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jul 16th 2003, 3:27 pm

now that there's no buffy i've started watching angel as well. not bad, but i like buffy better.

my fave episode is the buffy angel reunion. and the outtakes of angel dancing crack me up :lol:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 16th 2003, 4:05 pm

Heh, seeing Angel and Wesley dance was more than worth the price of the set! AtS S2 is much better IMHO. September 2!

Hee, fnordboy has been assimilated!

:lol:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jul 17th 2003, 4:28 pm

Way to go Fnordboy! :lol:
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jul 18th 2003, 11:44 am

wanda/kristin spoilage:

[spoiler]
Angel, Baby: A big shake-up is also in store for the WB's Angel, with the addition of Buffy's James Marsters and the departure of original castmember Charisma Carpenter. But take solace, we fans aren't the only ones who are antsy.

"I have no idea what we're doing!" the always adorable Amy Acker (Fred) squealed at the WB party. "There are new people, the hotel's gone...It feels like a new show. I called [executive producer] Joss Whedon and asked if there was anything I should be working on. He said he didn't know--they hadn't decided yet."

David Boreanaz (who's looking even more delish with longer, wavy hair) also admits he's "a little nervous" about the big changes (Marsters is in, Carpenter is out) but he's "extremely excited" about working with James again. "He brings a level of intensity I enjoy. He's passionate about his work...It will be an interesting dynamic. Hopefully, [Spike] will be my ally, but if not, I'll just have to kick the s--t out of him. I'll break out Angel's big badass boots."

David also says Mercedes McNab (Harmony) could be returning. "I don't think she'll rejoin the cast, I think she'll be a recurring character."

Of course, the show could use a little infusion of femininity after the loss of Carpenter. Though it's possible she could return for a few episodes, C.C. is no longer be a series regular, something insiders say was not her choice.

When asked about Carpenter's departure, Boreanaz would only say: "It's going to be sad not seeing her there. It's an unfortunate circumstance, and I don't know how it all unfolded. I don't think certain people were happy about it, but I'm just as clueless as anyone. I know she's happy--she's got a beautiful baby boy named Donovan. I'm really proud of her for becoming a mother."

"I hope [Charisma] comes back for a couple of episodes," Acker added, "but I totally understand having a new baby and wanting to be a mom. I need her around because there's so much male energy on the set as it is! Someone told me there might be another girl coming on. I asked Joss today, and he didn't mention anything, so I don't know!"

Meanwhile, Whedon--who said the new set allows for an "exciting whirlwind feel," jumping from place to place à la West Wing--has already spoken with Sarah Michelle Gellar about a guest spot. "I have [talked to her], and so has David," he says. "She's always been very open to the idea...but it's really about schedules. It would be great if she could do it around, hmmm, I don't know...sweeps? But she's doing Scooby-Doo, and I don't know when she'll be available."[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 20th 2003, 8:30 pm

You can view a promotional poster that was given away at Comic Con in San Diego this weekend here - according to the poster, the premiere date for S5 is October 8. I bet a lot of anti-Spike people will really dislike this poster!

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jul 20th 2003, 9:32 pm

For those who rightly think Buffy is/was better than Angel, keep watching. I think after season 5 Buffy, Angel begins to overtake its sire.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 21st 2003, 3:26 pm

I agree - AtS has definitely come into its own (and the fact that BtVS S7 did not reach the staggering heights of my expectations definitely made Angel look pretty damn good in comparison!).

Although Joss Whedon has confirmed that Charisma Carpenter will appear in a few episodes and resolve the coma storyline, she definitely will not be a regular. On the plus side, you can see the website for her tv movie See Jane Date here - http://abcfamily.go.com/seejanedate/

Holly Marie Combs from Charmed also stars.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2003, 1:38 am

The S5 premiere has been moved to October 1!

:D

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jul 30th 2003, 1:00 pm

candygirl wrote:The S5 premiere has been moved to October 1!

candygirl, where did you see that? i can't find that announcement on any of the buffy boards...

also, there are some pretty detailed episode 2 spoilers at

http://www.spoilerslayer.com

lots of spike action.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2003, 1:36 pm

Sorry I forgot to include the link - zap2it reported this info (and the rest of the WB's premiere schedule).

I have been selectively reading spoilers but I'm trying to learn about only casting so that I can stay unspoiled about the actual plot. I think I'm testing myself to see how much self control I can maintain.

These days, I do go into all the spoiler threads, but I just skim for the info from the casting sides. Must wean myself off of spoilers slowly.

:lol:

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Jul 30th 2003, 1:54 pm

oops, i thought you were referring to the buffy season 5 dvd, since the release date has been pulled from amazon and other pre-order sites.

shoulda realized that i was in the angel forum :D

also, the spoiler slayer stuff is from the episode sides, but it is detailed, so read at your own risk!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 30th 2003, 2:00 pm

The Buffy DVDs are most likely showing as "out of stock" at amazon because amazon started doing preorders before Fox gave them the go-ahead. It actually happens a lot with Fox titles - they announce a release date, amazon starts taking orders, Fox tells them to stop, amazon changes the page to say "this title is currently not available," Fox gives them the green light, the page is restored, and amazon goes back to taking preorders. Meanwhile, fans freak out!

I have skimmed all the AtS S5 spoilers and try to ignore the details :D Can you tell this is a hopeless battle? I already know too much about the first two episodes! *sigh*