Claire Danes movies..

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 26th 2003, 10:23 am

I've finally seen The Hours. I'm not sure how much I like this movie. It's pace is very slow. And the subject matter is very depressing. Claire doesn't appear until late in the movie. Her role is very small. I like her character though. I'll watch the DVD again. Maybe the movie will grow on me. I can't say that I like it or hate it. I'm on the fence.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 26th 2003, 10:54 am

TomSpeed wrote:I've finally seen The Hours. I'm not sure how much I like this movie. It's pace is very slow. And the subject matter is very depressing. Claire doesn't appear until late in the movie. Her role is very small. I like her character though. I'll watch the DVD again. Maybe the movie will grow on me. I can't say that I like it or hate it. I'm on the fence.
I haven't seen this one yet, but I am anxious to. But I hate depressing movies...

Is it worth seeing?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 26th 2003, 11:00 am

I really liked it. It was slow, a bit, but absolutely wonderful in my opinion. Great acting and a fabulous story. A fantastic insight into Virginia Woolf's writing.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

The Talented Krakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by The Talented Krakow » Jul 10th 2003, 6:01 am

I'm about to see Igby Goes Down. I really look forward to see this one, the trailer looked very nice. Unfortunately I had to download it, because the Region 2 DVD is not going to be released untill 13 October 2003. I'm still thinking about buying the R1 DVD, but that would cost me a lot of shipping and import money.

I also doubt wether to buy the The Mod Squad DVD or not. They sell it here for like $20 (€16), I don't know if it's worth it.

I bought the U-Turn DVD about a week ago, and I love this movie. Small but sweet part for Claire, she acts very well. I also saw The Rainmaker two days ago for the second time. That one's my favourite Claire movie next to Romeo + Juliet. She plays so incredibly sweet in the Rainmaker, and she just looks so cute and all. Very tender. Too bad her part is so small.

I would really love to see 'I love you, I love you not' and 'Brakedown Palace', I might order those on the internet. From that first one however does not excist a R2 version, so again it would cost me some money for shipping and import..
"My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, 'How was that drive-by shooting?' You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky to get out alive."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 10th 2003, 4:58 pm

The Talented Krakow wrote:I would really love to see 'I love you, I love you not' and 'Brakedown Palace', I might order those on the internet. From that first one however does not excist a R2 version, so again it would cost me some money for shipping and import..
You might be interested to know that the R2 (UK) version of Brokedown Palace is on sale at http://www.blackstar.co.uk for £4.99: http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000069528

Don't know how the shipping would be to France, but I order from there and shipping to the US wasn't too bad so I would expect it to be pretty good to France.

The Talented Krakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by The Talented Krakow » Jul 11th 2003, 5:51 am

Thanks for the tip! I might order the DVD there, £4.99 isn't so much, even when shipping costs are added to it.

Btw I saw Igby last night, and it was a very good movie in my opinion. Danes really played outstanding and had a very cool role. It had some very good music too, the only thing was that I didn't really get the point from the whole movie. What is it actually about? I didn't really see a storyline, just a lot of things happened. Big chance is that I just missed a whole lot because as I said before I had to download it, so it had no subtitles. Therefore it was sometimes very hard for me to follow (since English is not my native language). Especially that Ollie (or whatever his name was) type could talk fast.

Also I think that there could have been a little bit more emotion in the movie, they could have made it a little bit more depressing, because now it seems that everything that happens is not so serious, and the main character Igby doesn't seem to feel all that bad during the movie.
"My parents keep asking how school was. It's like saying, 'How was that drive-by shooting?' You don't care how it _was_, you're lucky to get out alive."

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Jul 11th 2003, 7:55 pm

The Talented Krakow wrote:I'm about to see Igby Goes Down. I really look forward to see this one, the trailer looked very nice. Unfortunately I had to download it, because the Region 2 DVD is not going to be released untill 13 October 2003.
And thank you for this tip! I, too, have been pretty anxious to see the film -- and seems like it won't hit the theatres here (at least anytime soon) so the R2 release sounds just perfect for me. And yes, the actual release date is a bit too far away.
The Talented Krakow wrote: [on Igby Goes Down] It had some very good music too, the only thing was that I didn't really get the point from the whole movie. What is it actually about? I didn't really see a storyline, just a lot of things happened.
I haven't seen the film, but plot/storyline missing and things just happening... sounds like a perfect depiction of real life?
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

The Talented Krakow
Overlooked Sibling

Post by The Talented Krakow » Jul 12th 2003, 3:00 pm

sine wrote:I haven't seen the film, but plot/storyline missing and things just happening... sounds like a perfect depiction of real life?
True, but afterwards you start thinking why you even saw this movie. You could might as well observe other people's lives (which may not half be as entertaining as this movie, but you got my point). So a clear storyline with a clear beginning and ending would have been a little bit more satisfying.

re: claire danes movies

Post by Guest » Aug 12th 2003, 10:39 pm

I really liked Romeo and Juliet, some parts were kinda akward, but on a whole I though the movie was really entertaining, creative, interesting, and i though leo and claire did a decent job

Emeralduk
Liberty High Student

Post by Emeralduk » Aug 15th 2003, 7:28 am

Am I the only one who enjoyed Brokedown Palace? I know it's a used-again and again story line, and a bit slow moving, but I thought Claire's performance was great. She gave it such emotion and I cried at the end, at what she did (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). I'm definately considering getting it on DVD.

*~Emerald~*

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Aug 20th 2003, 12:22 pm

I liked Claire's performance in BP. The large plot holes prevent people from enjoying the movie though.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Nov 4th 2004, 11:34 pm

Has anyone ever seen Claire in the HBO short, "The Coming Out of Heidi Leiter" (part of the "Lifestories: Families in Crisis" series)? I caught it on HBO this morning for the 2nd time (1st time was a few years ago), and though Claire had a relatively small role, she looked really cute. Just wondering if anyone's seen it, since I haven't seen it really mentioned around here.

Also, referring to TomSpeed's above post from over a year ago, Brokedown Palace has become one of my favorite Claire Danes films (along with Terminator 3, because I'm such a huge Terminator fan, and Igby Goes Down). To me, the plot holes actually made the movie more enjoyable, because it really got me thinking. Any movie that makes me think days after I watch it usually have a great impact on me. Also, a lot of people don't like the ending, but I thought it was great. Very sad and emotional, but at the same time, somewhat uplifting. A damn good film... in my humble opinion.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)

Jody Barsch*
Lifehead

Post by Jody Barsch* » Nov 7th 2004, 10:56 pm

I just saw Ebert and Ropert's review of, I think it was Where is the Love, anyway it had the word "love" in the title; it's a new movie with Claire Danes, Joaquin Phoenix, and Sean Penn. Highlights from the review include: "insanely bad," "useless", "ridiculous", and "the worst movie of 2003 and 2004, and possibly 2005." The reviewers said the movie was absurd, strange, and a waste of Sean Penn's talent. I could care less about Claire (I can barely stand to look at her these past several years), but I hate to see Joaquin and Sean in a bad film.
Sometimes I write a little MSCL fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1039807/Jody-Barsch
Also, after multiple V. Mars reiterations, and finally a Deadwood movie, still wishing for some continuation of The Riches !

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 8th 2004, 12:23 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:I could care less about Claire (I can barely stand to look at her these past several years)
Yes, I believe the new movie of hers coming out early next year is Where is the Love, about Claire and Joaquin being estranged spouses that reunite in New York and have a romantic evening... or something. That one I don't really care about seeing. I do want to see Stage Beauty, as I've heard it's good and I'm also curious about that time period... we're right about there in my music history class. Another movie I can't wait to see with Claire in it is Shopgirl. I don't really know when this will be released, but I've heard that it's finished. Next spring sometime I imagine. But Shopgirl I want to see more for Steve Martin. I absolutely love his work: comedy, film, writing. He has to be one of my favorites celebrities.

ps --- Jody, do you mean you couldn't care less about Claire? Just to clarify...
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Nov 8th 2004, 12:26 am

Jody Barsch* wrote:I could care less about Claire (I can barely stand to look at her these past several years)
Why is this? Is it because she broke up Billy Crudup and Mary-Louise Parker? Or because Claire looks dangerously thin? These things bother me about her lately a little bit too. Not that it's any of my business... :oops:

Of course, Billy Crudup is the jerk who actually DID leave his very pregnant girlfriend for Claire. He could have turned Claire down. Whatever. Who knows with some guys?
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~