Your ideal job?

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
starbug
Lifehead

Your ideal job?

Post by starbug » Jun 16th 2003, 5:16 am

Inspired by Kenny...

do you know what your ideal job would be? Are you doing your ideal job? How many of us are stuck in jobs we don't want to be in, putting in the hours but not caring about what we do. What can we do to change this?

I quite like my job, but it's not what I really want to do. I'd like to work as a human rights lawyer. Trouble is, it definitely doesn't pay enough. I know I should probably suspend that and be willing to live in abject poverty to fight for the cause, but with university debts it truly isn't possible. Hopefully things will be different when I paid back the money I already spent on my education... really you need a masters in human rights law too, which I don't have, so I'll need (and want) to get it.

So here's what I plan: stay here, where I have built up a good reputation. As luck would have it, I work for a university with a very very good lawschool (this is also the lawschool I went to). Do masters part time (the university is very supportive of stuff like that) and persuade them to pay for half of it, while giving me study leave and stuff. Once I've paid off all my debts and got my masters, start looking for a more interesting but less lucrative job.

Possibly move to the US for a bit to get some experience and see my family more.

What is everyone else's ideal job? Kenny, you mentioned you don't like your job... what would you like to do? Do you know?

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Your ideal job?

Post by lance » Jun 16th 2003, 9:17 am

starbug wrote:Inspired by Kenny...

do you know what your ideal job would be? Are you doing your ideal job? How many of us are stuck in jobs we don't want to be in, putting in the hours but not caring about what we do. What can we do to change this?

I quite like my job, but it's not what I really want to do. I'd like to work as a human rights lawyer. Trouble is, it definitely doesn't pay enough. I know I should probably suspend that and be willing to live in abject poverty to fight for the cause, but with university debts it truly isn't possible. Hopefully things will be different when I paid back the money I already spent on my education... really you need a masters in human rights law too, which I don't have, so I'll need (and want) to get it.

So here's what I plan: stay here, where I have built up a good reputation. As luck would have it, I work for a university with a very very good lawschool (this is also the lawschool I went to). Do masters part time (the university is very supportive of stuff like that) and persuade them to pay for half of it, while giving me study leave and stuff. Once I've paid off all my debts and got my masters, start looking for a more interesting but less lucrative job.

Possibly move to the US for a bit to get some experience and see my family more.

What is everyone else's ideal job? Kenny, you mentioned you don't like your job... what would you like to do? Do you know?
Starbug,

You are a human rights lawyer? That is so cool. I understand the dilemma of doing a job that is rewarding but does not pay as much as others. My mother works as an ecumenical officer for the Catholic Church. She works on improving Catholic-Jewish and Catholic-Protestant relations. She helps clear up age old misunderstandings and to heal old wounds. Spirtually and socially redeeming work but doesn't pay much.

I mostly like my job as a library assistant. I like helping people learn how to use the internet and to find books. My eventual plan is to finish up my Masters of Library and Information Science and make a bit more cash than I making now and become a librarian. Right now Mrs. Lance is working on her MLIS. As soon as she is done, I will go back and get mine.

In the meantime I try to enjoy the perks my job has: excellent benefits, okay pay, flexible working hours and decent work.

Best,

Lance Man

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 16th 2003, 9:43 am

lance wrote:
You are a human rights lawyer? That is so cool.
Nope, I wish I was one... not quite the same :turn-l:

At the moment I negotiate research contracts... it pays well but it's not too fulfilling.

I'm glad you're doing something you enjoy. It's a lucky position to be in :)

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 16th 2003, 10:17 am

lance wrote: My eventual plan is to finish up my Masters of Library and Information Science
Oh, Information Science. I'm just writing on my thesis for my Master of Arts degree in Information Science :-). I don't have much to do with "real" libraries though (although all the theoretical stuff like recall and precision, indexing, classification was on my schedule). We focus here in Saarbrücken more on modern aspects of Information Retrieval like Internet, Usability, Online-Archives etc. My thesis is about an Online Student and Course Management System for our University which I'm developing for years now...

Information Science is not well known here in Germany, only two or three universities offer this course. And the one here in Saarbrücken is in danger of being shut down in 2006 due to financial problems of the University ... *sigh*.

Regarding "my ideal job": Right now I only have a small job at the University while I'm writing my thesis. Not well paid, but interesting. But later this year, I'll have to look for a "real" job -- I don't care much about the paycheck (well, a little bit ;-)), I just hope it will be fulfilling and not just another boring 9to5 job...

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 16th 2003, 10:51 am

My ideal job...

Professional lottery winner. I think I could do that ;)

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 16th 2003, 1:15 pm

fnordboy wrote:My ideal job...

Professional lottery winner. I think I could do that ;)
Hehe - yeah, me too. :D

Post by Guest » Jun 16th 2003, 2:04 pm

I wanna work with visual media. One day I hope to direct films. Maybe abstract films with no plot, characters, or actors. or budgets. yeah that would interesting.

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Jun 17th 2003, 3:09 pm

How corny would it sound if I told you all how much I love my job? Alright, I'll keep it to myself, except to say that being a stay-at-home-mom is the most wonderful, fulfilling, heartwarming.... okay, enough.

I've always thought Dalton Ross at Entertainment Weekly had a really cool job. Watch TV all day and comment on it. Plus, watch whatever you want, whenever you want -- that's your job. I think I could deal with that.

I'd also love to have Brooke Burke's job, but in order to do that, I'd probably need her body and her face too, which I'm afraid I'm not even close. But to travel the world partying? That would be decent. I mean, her entire job is basically just to be hot in different exotic locations. Nice.

Meg
------------------------
"Every home should have a daughter.
For there's nothing like a girl
To keep the world around her
In one continuous whirl.."
--Helen Steiner Rice

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 17th 2003, 4:26 pm

starbug wrote:
lance wrote:
You are a human rights lawyer? That is so cool.
Nope, I wish I was one... not quite the same :turn-l:

At the moment I negotiate research contracts... it pays well but it's not too fulfilling.

I'm glad you're doing something you enjoy. It's a lucky position to be in :)
D'oh!

I posted too soon. :oops: Sorry about the mix up on that one. My fingers typed faster then my brain was able to process data.

:oops:

I do hope that you find a job that pays well enough and is fufilling.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 17th 2003, 4:50 pm

sab wrote:
lance wrote: My eventual plan is to finish up my Masters of Library and Information Science
Oh, Information Science. I'm just writing on my thesis for my Master of Arts degree in Information Science :-). I don't have much to do with "real" libraries though (although all the theoretical stuff like recall and precision, indexing, classification was on my schedule). We focus here in Saarbrücken more on modern aspects of Information Retrieval like Internet, Usability, Online-Archives etc. My thesis is about an Online Student and Course Management System for our University which I'm developing for years now...

Information Science is not well known here in Germany, only two or three universities offer this course. And the one here in Saarbrücken is in danger of being shut down in 2006 due to financial problems of the University ... *sigh*.

Regarding "my ideal job": Right now I only have a small job at the University while I'm writing my thesis. Not well paid, but interesting. But later this year, I'll have to look for a "real" job -- I don't care much about the paycheck (well, a little bit ;-)), I just hope it will be fulfilling and not just another boring 9to5 job...
Sab,

I am keeping my fingers crossed that you find that job you are looking for. I understand the frustration with 9-5 jobs that don't offer any fufillment.

I will share one really cool moment from my job with you. I once had an elderly gentleman (maybe in his 80s). He was holding a copy of Internet for Dummies. He told me that this book was fine but he just need some basic help in getting started.

I took him over to one of our PCs and put him on the library's homepage. I showed him how to use google, the forward and back buttons, hyperlinks and how to find his favorite newspaper online. I spent maybe 5 minutes tops with him. He was just so happy that someone took the time to show him how to work his way around the net.

Those are the moments that make the job worthwhile. Sab, best of luck on the thesis.

Best,

Lance Man

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Jun 29th 2003, 10:04 pm

I'll finish the story tomorrow, I gotta go have an emergency glass of Coke on ice.
Last edited by pgh kenny on Dec 10th 2005, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 30th 2003, 6:21 pm

My ideal job would be to design mountain bikes and climbing equipment. I want to be able to design the parts in the morning, go out to the machine shop and fabricate them in the afternoon. Then take them out on the trail and test them. Kona bikes would be my first choice, a small company just north of Seattle that produces quality bikes. As long as this is my ideal job, I would also like a week off in the winter for a ski trip, and the month of August too to be at the lake. As far as money goes, I’d like enough to be able to take time off without worrying how to make bills, and be able to take a nice vacation every couple of years, and have some modest toys to enjoy on the weekends. Hopefully, I will have a job like this in 5 years or so, but probably without all the vacation time.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

doodles444s
Overlooked Sibling

Post by doodles444s » Jul 11th 2003, 10:57 pm

I'm going to school for Graphic Design and Communication Media (Basically an art major in design and then computer graphics minor). I'd love to get into a small, close-knit advertising firm or work with animation for Disney. However, if it was possible I would also love to study crime scene investigation. I guess I could mix them both and if I take some more anatomy classes I could do the facial reconstructions (from skulls) on the computer or even with clay, or I could do suspect sketches. That would be pretty interesting

Honestly, if I didn't have to pay to go to school I would just keep going.. I'd like to study psychology, crime scene invest., and maybe painting. I would have double majored in Art and Psychology (I thought about art therapy) but I couldn't fit the classes in. I guess I just have an interest in learning.

Right now I'm working full time at a day-care (for the summer till school starts) and I'm not especially happy there.. some of the people I work with drive me crazy and it's hard to deal up to 8 babies all day (there are 2 adults for those eight babies). A few good points are that I work with a friend and her boyfriend, I am making more money than my last job. and I love the babies. However, I'd much rather be doing something with art. I gues I should be glad I didn't go into childcare or teaching.

I'll need to try to get an internship in my field soon though... I need all the experience I can get... :)
So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong
Hold me when I'm scared, and love me when I'm gone
Everything I am, and everything in me
Wants to be the one you wanted me to be
I'll never let you down, even if I could