Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club and Weird Science-Sept 2

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club and Weird Science-Sept 2

Post by fnordboy » Jun 24th 2003, 10:54 pm

The holy grail of the cinema du John Hughes - Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club and Weird Science - is finally ready to be unleashed on September 2nd from Universal Studios Home Videosthe disciples of the pied piper of 80's teen cinema already know all too well, the long hoped-for reissues of these flicks have already been announced once and then postponed, so will this time be the charm? Let's hope so, and although full specs have not yet been announced, will be newly remastered in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, plus trailers. Retail will be $19.95 each, or $39.95 for a 3-disc Brat Pack set. tuned...
from DVDfile.com

Very very cool news! :)

Let's hope they dont cancel the release.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 24th 2003, 10:58 pm

I already have Weird Science, and hasn't The Breakfast Club been out for awhile? What's different about these releases? The remastering? No other extras?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 24th 2003, 11:02 pm

Basically the remastering, anamorphic widescreen and the DTs and Dolby tracks. Hopefully some extras will be announced, but I am happy with them remastering it and the new audio tracks. Be great when I finally get a decent home theater set up and my widescreen TV (yeah right...never).

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jun 24th 2003, 11:05 pm

fnordboy wrote:Be great when I finally get a decent home theater set up and my widescreen TV (yeah right...never).
Word.

I need to postpone getting my system for awhile. I didn't win Lotto. Curses!
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 25th 2003, 12:12 am

TomSpeed wrote: Word.

I need to postpone getting my system for awhile. I didn't win Lotto. Curses!
And here I was figuring to myself "damnit, I didn't win...TomSpeed must have then!"

;)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 25th 2003, 12:17 am

Woo hoo - three of my favorite movies all at once!!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 25th 2003, 11:15 am

Yesterday I finished downloading a Divx of The Breakfast Club to watch on my computer. I'm hoping this will tide me over untill they get around to releasing the special edition. But here's the best part, I just downloaded the new windows media player and it has a mini mode that plays from your task bar. So I watched it twice yesterday while I was working. I'm thinking I'll have to watch it again today.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Sep 3rd 2003, 4:42 pm

Anyone buy the official High School Reunion three-pack yesterday? I had planned on it, but Cost Co foiled those plans!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Sep 3rd 2003, 8:51 pm

I'm tempted. But I'm still put off by there being no bonus features. Other I-want DVDs are ahead of the Reunion Pack anyway. I'd really like to get Alias Season 1, NYPD Blue Season 2, and the anniversary-issue Scarface is coming out soon. So many things to buy, so little money.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Sep 4th 2003, 12:04 am

candygirl wrote:Anyone buy the official High School Reunion three-pack yesterday? I had planned on it, but Cost Co foiled those plans!
I picked it up today along with Angel S2 and .hack//SIGN vol 4 (ltd. ed.). I totally forgot to look for PCU :( I will need to hit the store again this weekend I guess.

The box it comes in is pretty much ugly, but the back of it has some classic moments shown. So it makes it better. Haven't looked at any of the discs yet.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 26th 2003, 7:02 pm

Fnordboy, did you end up finding PCU?

I bought the 3-pack a few weeks ago and I agree about the cheesy box, but my boyfriend and I were laughing at some of the pictures while we stood in line. As much as I love the Donger, I thought it kind of sucked that the front of the box has pictures of everyone from the Breakfast Club except Ally Sheedy. Instead of the High School Reunion Collection, they should have called it the Best of Anthony Michael Hall.

:D

I still haven't watched any of the movies yet, but a great special feature that they missed the boat on would have been putting in all of the hilarious dubbed over bits. As someone who has seen these movies on cable multiple times, there is some humor to be had in that! My friends and I still crack up over lines like, "First I'd like to better know you muffin" and "Forget you Claire!" One night we actually saw the Breakfast Club on some basic cable channel that decided to change the line to "Damn you Claire" and we were up in arms that they changed a classic dub into something so crappy.

:lol:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 27th 2003, 5:33 am

candygirl wrote: Instead of the High School Reunion Collection, they should have called it the Best of Anthony Michael Hall.
Heh, heh... I agree :-). I ordered the box set a few weeks ago from amazon.ca and I have watched "The Breakfast Club" and "Weird Science" so far. It's been the first time I've been able to watch both movies in the original, non-german-dubbed version. What a joy!

And I think I've actually never seen "Sixteen Candles" before! I watched the first few minutes (obMSCL: Angela Chase' grandfather stars in it) and I thought "Hey, this isn't familiar...", so I probably confused it with another movie. So at the age of 27, I have the pleasure to watch "Sixteen Candles" for the very first time soon :D

What really sucks are these annoying non-skipable trailers at the beginning of each DVD. Luckily, I can fastforward with 1500% speed, but still: argh! :evil:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

32 candles

Post by Sascha » Oct 29th 2003, 6:34 pm

Just watched "Sixteen Candles" - what a cute movie :-). It's really a classic from the 80's...

While checking the net for some trivia about the movie, I found this recent news (the article is from October 2003, so it's not an old and long forgotten project):

E!Online wrote: Sixteen Candles has been granted a birthday wish--a sequel.

Pull out the yearbooks, throw on the varsity letter jackets--it's high school reunion time for the gang from the 1984 John Hughes comedy.

32 Candles will update the lives of Sam Baker, Farmer Ted, Long Duk Dong and the rest of the gang.

"Our goal is to pay homage to as many of the original characters as possible," David A. Newman, one of the writers chosen to pen the update, tells Variety. "Who wouldn't want to write this?"

The original film was based around Samantha Baker's (Molly Ringwald) 16th birthday, a day that went unobserved by her family. The made-for-television special will pick up the story around Sam's 32nd birthday.

Keith Merryman, the other writer on the project, called Sixteen Candles "a film that anyone who's Gen X on down has seen a hundred times. It's like a comfort film."

So far, no word on whether the original cast will be approached for the sequel. Ringwald's manager had no comment on the project.

The special lies in the hands of USA Network. Anthony Michael Hall, Sam's nerdy admirer, Ted, in the first flick, has current ties with the network--he stars in their series The Dead Zone.

The original film also featured John Cusack, Joan Cusack and Edward Andrews.

Buffy Shutt and Kathy Jones, producers of the 2002 surf-pop flick Blue Crush, will shoulder the responsibility of producing 32 Candles, along with Ken Holdren.

It's not a task they take lightly. "We're all so concerned about getting it right, because it's such a beloved property," Jones tells Variety.
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12698,00.html

USA Network? A made-for-TV Movie?!? I just don't think that there'll come any good out of this.

Ain't it cool news also had an article about this movie up in March this year with some spoilers: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=14735
Last edited by Sascha on Oct 29th 2003, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Oct 29th 2003, 6:45 pm

The sequel will be meaningless if it doesn't have the original cast. Forget it if Molly isn't in it. I love me some Molly Ringwald. Sixteen Candles is one of my all-time favorite movies. I still have a poster on my bedroom wall. I had the biggest crush on Molly. She doesn't work enough!
TomSpeed

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

R.I.P. John Hughes

Post by Sascha » Aug 6th 2009, 6:06 pm

A sad reason to revisit this old topic: author/director John Hughes passed away today. He was 59 years old.

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktx ... 2420.story