RAD (1986)

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

RAD (1986)

Post by Nothingman » Jun 23rd 2003, 1:13 pm

If you’ve ever dreamed of riding Helltrack, doing a backflip, or beating Bart Taylor, then you’ll know what I’m talking about. If not, you’re normal, don’t worry.

This was my favorite movie when I was a kid, and has become a bmx cult classic. It hasn’t yet reached DVD, and there is petition here.
http://www.petitiononline.com/RAD/petition-sign.html

I’ve been downloading songs from the out of print soundtrack this morning, for some reason it just popped into my head today. My dad recorded it off of HBO when I was little and I’m guessing I’ve watched it at least 50 times, maybe more. It’s recorded in SLP and is slowly dying, but the vhs is no longer available to buy, and it’s part of it’s charm anyway. The movie was reedited to make it easier to understand to non-bmxers, so I’m hoping if it makes it to dvd then some of those scenes will be added as bonus material. Assuming they still exist.

Here is a great site describing different tid bits of the movie.
http://www.fast-rewind.com/
(you'll have to find in the list of movies on the left of the page)

Did anyone else see this movie or have I underestimated my geekiness?
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 23rd 2003, 1:19 pm

Heh. Rad. I loved this movie. This was definitely one of my favorite movies when I was a kid. I actually have the real VHS of this, got it as a kid for Xmas.

I always loved the opening to the movie in that park in Canada, I have seen that in many a skate video. Even the cheesy BMX/Dance scene is great (send me an angel). I have the official soundtrack on tape too.

Wow, I really want this on DVD now. Worst case scenario I will burn my own DVD of this classic from my VHS, hopefully it doesn't look like s**t, I haven't watched it in years.

Delivering papers never looked as cool as it did in that movie ;)

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 23rd 2003, 1:31 pm

"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 23rd 2003, 1:39 pm

The seller of the dvd wrote:This movie has never and will probably never be released on DVD. This movie has been long out of print on VHS and is very hard to find.
He must be making them on his own (notice the printed label on the dvd), I'll live with the copy I have for now, it's got the cool old HBO trademark where you fly along the letters and see the individual lights then zoom out to see it spells HBO, classic.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 23rd 2003, 1:43 pm

You know that I'm gonna have to go home and dig out the tape I have somewhere of this... which is then going to lead to me watching American Flyers... which will lead to Gleaming the Cube.... which must be followed up by Pump up the Volulme... which can't be seen without then watching The Breakfast Club... this all starts a John Hughes marathon that must include Career Opportunities followed by Some Kind of Wonderful, at which point you remember that you should have watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off after The Breakfast Club..... aaaarrrrggghhhh... do you see what you started???? :hammer1:
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 23rd 2003, 1:50 pm

mglenn wrote:aaaarrrrggghhhh... do you see what you started????
Oops, started the chain reaction. hehe :lol:

Glad to see Gleaming the Cube is on the list, in fact I watched it this last weekend and that is what reminded me of RAD. It's no were near on the same level as RAD, but a great skateboarding flick none the less. A fun side note: I stayed at the Atomic Age hotel where Brian's brother dies when I visited Disneyland when I was 6. I also like to watch a very young Tony Hawk as the pizza delivery boy, notice all the hawk decks and stickers in the movie.