Monk

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Monk

Post by lance » Jun 20th 2003, 10:39 am

Hey all,

New topic thread. Tonight starts the second season of Monk. For those of you who have not seen it. Monk stars Tony Shalhoub who stars as an obsessive-compulsive detective. Great fun. Should be on USA cable network at 10:00 pm, EDT.

For those of you like me without cable, see if a buddy can recorder if for you. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Best,

Lance Man

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 20th 2003, 10:43 am

lance wrote:For those of you like me without cable...

[hypnotize]Buy cable service!!!! Buy cable service!!! Pay my wages!!![/hypnotize]
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 20th 2003, 10:51 am

mglenn wrote:
lance wrote:For those of you like me without cable...

[hypnotize]Buy cable service!!!! Buy cable service!!! Pay my wages!!![/hypnotize]
LOL!

One day, ah yes one day all 600+ channels will be mine!

:D

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 20th 2003, 10:52 am

And just to piss off mglenn:

f*** Cable! Go Satellite! :D

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 20th 2003, 10:56 am

fnordboy wrote:And just to piss off mglenn:

f*** Cable! Go Satellite! :D
Don't you know that satellites are part of a secret government plot to track everything you do. Dish TV is a hoax so that they can watch you through your tv!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 20th 2003, 11:05 am

I caught a few episodes last season. I enjoyed it.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 21st 2003, 12:29 am

Thanks for catching this one, Lance. I was going to start a thread but forgot... :oops:

The second season opener was good, though I miss the S1 opening music. Sharona's chess trick reminded me of the way I used to cough on my opponent's Magic cards when we cut each other's decks.

:twisted:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Post by Guest » Jul 27th 2003, 10:34 am

I love Monk! Tony Shaloub is my hero. I miss the Season One opening music as well. Whenever I hear the new opening music I'm forced to turn the station 'til it's over.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 27th 2003, 5:38 pm

I have actually never seen any episodes of Monk, but I listen to the Executive Producer and Writer, Andy Breckman's, radio show on a local freeform radio station out of Jersey City. Him and Ken Freedman host a show called Seven Second Delay, it is an hour long call in radio show where Andy mainly abuses the callers and callscreeners and Ken bitches about Andy's lack of preperation. It is usually hilarious. You can listen on the web at http://www.wfmu.org or if you are in the NY/NJ area you can hear it on 91.1 WFMU. It is on Wednesdays at 6PM, but online you can hear archived shows as well.

The Seven Second Delay homepage is: http://www.wfmu.org/7sd/

Check it out it is really entertaining.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jul 28th 2003, 12:59 am

There is quite a controversy over the new S2 theme song, by Oscar-winning composer Randy Newman, including a petition to restore the original theme and a debate website.

Meanwhile, the S1 theme music by Jeff Beal has been nominated for an Emmy, as has Tony Shalhoub.

The Monk pilot episode is now available on DVD.

Fnordboy: Thanks for the link, looks good. The archives don't seem to be working at the moment, will try again later.

:)
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jul 28th 2003, 3:15 am

Nostradamus wrote: Fnordboy: Thanks for the link, looks good. The archives don't seem to be working at the moment, will try again later.

Yeah I noticed they were down too, I had missed this weeks show and wanted to catch up while I was doing some freelance work today :( Oh well, always time at the 9-5 gig :)

That radio station has some really great programming so you should dig around their archives once they are up and running again. Everything from wax cylinder recordings to experimental art noise from Zimbabwe.

Some of my faves at the moment, besides 7 Second Delay, are:

The Audio Kitchen Wed 7-8pm: Showcases non-professional recordings (audio letters, kids with tape recorders, answering machine messages), sounds odd but is addicting and really interesting to listen in on people's lives like that.

Aircheck Thurs 6-7PM: "Once again, an hour of radio ghosts recaptured: once in a lifetime occurances and remembrances (some from WFMU's own archives). This is no mere nostalgia trip; Aircheck seeks out some of the more unusual and unpredictable moments and personalities in radio that probably wouldn't get attention anywhere else."

Aerial View Fri 6-7pm: Call in radio show, left-leaning topics and all around entertaining.

Downtown Soulville Fri 7-8pm: Plays only 45s of soul.

Antique Phonograph Music Program alt. w/ Thomas Edison's Attic Tues 7-8pm: "Antique Phonograph Music Program is a collection of Pop, standard, and ethnic music acoustically recorded on discs and cylinders and played on period machines circa 1895-1925."

all can be found here: http://www.wfmu.org/table

[/ end off topic :) ]

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 10th 2004, 5:10 am

Season 3 of Monk starts Friday, January 16.

-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jan 31st 2004, 11:19 pm

Nifty! They worked the theme music controversy into an episode, and played the S1 theme during the closing credits! Maybe they'll bring it back completely now...

:D
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Jun 20th 2004, 3:05 am

Season 4 of Monk has begun. S1 is now available on DVD, and the S1 soundtrack is due July 13. Also, Sascha's latest avatar image looks familiar...

-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain