Gilmore Girls Discussion

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 19th 2003, 1:39 pm

Bad news for the Gilmore Girls Spin-Off:

The WB Network's spinoff of its hit dramedy "Gilmore Girls" is not going forward.

The network and sibling producing studio Warner Bros. TV have decided to pull the plug on the project, which had received a six-episode midseason order.

The series, from "Gilmore Girls" creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and her husband, Daniel Palladino, was to center on "Gilmore Girls"' Jess Marino), who goes to live with his estranged father) in Venice, Calif.

"After thorough analysis, we have determined that the costs to produce an ambitious series, filmed totally on location in Venice, Calif., were simply prohibitive," WB entertainment president Jordan Levin and WBTV president Peter Roth said in a joint statement.

To set up the spinoff, Marino left the small Connecticut town where "Gilmore Girls" is set for Venice in an episode of the show this spring. It is not clear whether the character will now return to the mothership series.

"I should have listened to what my mother told me when I was a little girl: 'If you set a show in Venice, no one's gonna pay for it,"' Sherman-Palladino said. "This was a great project, with a great cast. Dan and I now look forward to a fourth great year of 'Gilmore Girls' and to definitely developing new projects for fall 2004."

Source: http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?ty ... ID=2953886

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 19th 2003, 1:43 pm

How is that bad news? :lol: I was not a fan of Jess getting his own spin-off.

I do feel bad for the Palladinos, though. Tough break.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jun 19th 2003, 2:45 pm

How is that bad news?
Tell me about it... Thats like telling me that The Lana Lang spinoff just got canned!

"Previously on the Lana Small's Ville: cry, cry, whimper, whine" "Next week on Lana Small's Ville: Whimper, whine, Cry Cry! And remember theres only two weeks till the season's poutingly sad last episode! " :twisted:

Oh and I almost forgot: This weeks episode featured:

Crying by Roy Orbison
Quit Your Whining by The Commercials
And
Sad and Lonesome by John Lee Hooker

Check out the WB.COM for theses and other great artists. Actors on Lana Small's Ville eat Cheetos and love them.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 19th 2003, 3:28 pm

:shocked!: Egads! YOu almost gave me a heart attack! I was like, "A Lana Lang spinoff? Is this 8th circle of hell I slipped in to?"

Then I realized you were joking. Whew. :lol:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 19th 2003, 3:30 pm

Hey, did you hear that Lana Lang's parents got smushed by the meteor? Because we haven't heard that enough!

:wink:

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 19th 2003, 5:20 pm

Megs wrote:How is that bad news? :lol: I was not a fan of Jess getting his own spin-off.
Me too. But that means that it is very likely that Jess will come back to Stars Hollow and I hoped that the chapter "Jess" was closed once and for all on the main show. Although the article says that Jess' return to the "mothership" show is still unclear, some GG fansites reported that Milo's contract stated that he'll return to the main show if the spin-off gets cancelled.

And I'm a fan of Sherilyn Fenn ("Twin Peaks", "Rude Awakening") who was supposed to star in the spin off.

But there's also good news: Jane Espenson (of "Buffy" fame) will now join the crew of the main show (she was supposed to write for the spin-off).

On related news: Jared Paladecki's (sp?, "Dean") show "Young MacGyver" wasn't picked up either.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 20th 2003, 5:54 am

Latest gossip from eonline's Wand... err Kristin:

A Solo Milo: Poor Milo Ventimiglia. Talk about a roller-coaster ride. First, in January, the WB announces with great fanfare that he's getting a Gilmore Girls spinoff next fall. Soon after, the show's premise--his skater adventures on the Venice boardwalk--is scrapped due to poor reaction, then the show is postponed until midseason. And now, the clincher--the WB has announced the spinoff has been axed altogether, citing the show's costly location.

Now, of course, the biggest question weighing on Gilmore fans is whether he'll return to Stars Hollow next season.

Lucky for me, Milo showed up at Shane West's recent B-day bash at the Roxy (where, FYI, A.J. McLean performed), so I was able to get the 411. At the time, Milo wasn't yet aware that his show was being scrapped, but even so, he offered promising news: Producers had already approached him about returning to Gilmore in the fall. "Since [the spinoff] will start midseason," Milo said, "they have been talking about bringing me back to Gilmore. But that depends on when they put on the new show."

Since the new show will premiere round about, oh, never, it looks like--hurrah!--we'll get Jess back next season. Still, Milo, who's busy at work on Kevin Williamson's vampire flick, Cursed, also mentioned something that might not sit too well with Rory and Jess fans. When asked if there is any hope for a rekindled romance if Jess comes back, he replied curtly, "No, he has moved on."

Hmmm...possibly in real life, too? Milo was treading solo at the party (sans often rumored girlfriend Alexis), giving a smidge of hope to Gilmore groupies everywhere.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 20th 2003, 9:06 am

Wha-wha-what?! He is coming back, and he was dating Alexis? Ugh. This is the 8th Circle of Hell.

Dean's show wasn't picked up, either? Hmm..... I wonder if we are in for more of the Triangle from Hell in the 4th season. :evil:

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Jun 21st 2003, 1:33 am

I hope not! My hope for the fourth season is a) that Rory finds out Paris is going to Yale when she realizes they are living in the same dorm and b) Rory puts her high school romances in the past and moves on to relationships that are more set in reality (Dean was too good too be true and Jess was so bad that in reality no girl would stay with him). I do hope that Rory and Jess stay friends though. I also could see Jess helping push Luke towards acting on his true feelings for Lorelai.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Oct 2nd 2003, 3:32 pm

Bounce for new season thoughts and discussion!!! :D
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 2nd 2003, 4:21 pm

I've only seen the first episode (of the new season) so far, but it was pretty good. A true Gilmore Girls "back to the roots" episode. I only missed Lane. The "Jimmy Carter / Iran" reference and how Lorelai needed several hours to get it was brilliant :-)
Favorite line from Lorelai: "Reality has absolutely no place in our lives" :)

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Oct 6th 2003, 11:07 am

I finally got to watch episode 2 and I really liked it. I only have one question for everybody else: Is it just me or are they making Paris too neurotic this season?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Oct 6th 2003, 1:09 pm

Paris was probably the only thing I enjoyed about the second episode. I just haven't enjoyed the first two episodes all that much. But I was happy to see Paris back, and her interacting with her "life coach" was funny. And I love that Rory and Paris are rooming together. And, are all college freshmen dorms at Yale that big? Wow!

For some reason, the Gilmore Girls are annoying me this season. The only parts I liked about the first episode were the scenes with Sookie and Jackson ("Hey! I'll like it when it comes out!") and Kirk. Everything else? Eh.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Oct 6th 2003, 1:49 pm

Megs, if you get any crankier, you'll be a shoe-in to become a TWoP recapper!

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Oct 6th 2003, 2:46 pm

Megs wrote:For some reason, the Gilmore Girls are annoying me this season.
I read that from lots of other fans in other forums. For some reason, they don't like the new season. I don't know why. I like the new episodes better than most of the third season. No Jess, no Dean, no lovestories, very good and funny dialogues - it's like Gilmore heaven for me ;-)

Of course, the episodes were not perfect, the "Luke & The Lawyers" storyline was boring and Rory's request for her "mommy" totally out-of-character. But still, I like it (until Jess returns).

BTW: All Buffy fans should keep an eye on the upcoming episode 4 of this season: "Chicken or Beef?" is being written by Jane Espenson, writer of some of the best "Buffy" episodes.