What else changed our lives?

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
kenickie
Three Rivers Resident

What else changed our lives?

Post by kenickie » Apr 4th 2002, 5:23 pm

My so-called life obviously changed alot of peoples lives (I know it changed mine). I was just wondering what else may have had the same affect. Music, films, places etc. Just thought it might be nice to share :)

Let's make the memories, that dreamers only claim,
But it's hard, when the world knows your name.

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Re: What else changed our lives?

Post by K-man » Apr 4th 2002, 5:50 pm

I am way tired and ready to go home from work but the board has been kinda dead today and it is nice to see a new thread/topic. These may seem a little generic but my brain has gone on auto-pilot for the day. So here goes:
college
MTV
the internet
Napster
turning 30 and saying goodbye to my 20's
and of course 9/11/01.

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens.

Colene
Overlooked Sibling

Post by Colene » Apr 4th 2002, 6:57 pm

I agree with K-man...
Also, Bush being elected...I don't live in the States but I still think that his decisions affect lives everywhere.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Apr 5th 2002, 6:14 am

Hands down, it's music, my first love, and the Internet.

I've always been a lover of music and it tends to soothe me in those sad times and give me refuge in those tough times as well as inspire me and allow me an emotional release.

As for the Internet, it truly has had a great effect on me. I met not only my fiance and one of my best friends through the Net, but being online has also allowed me to expand my journalism obsession and dabble in the fandom for a number of my favorite shows.

"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Apr 5th 2002, 8:13 pm

I like this one!!! (in joke).

OK - things that have changed my life..........(not in any order and either bad or good) - I think I have picked personal things as opposed to 'things that changed 'our' lives - as in, this generation etc.

-University / Gaining my degree
-Music (I was mad about Extreme when I was a teenager)
-Depression (even though I don't have it anymore - yippee!)
-Jackson Hole, Wyoming (and countless other places in the USA) Jackson and the Tetons are the most beautiful, soul-changing places I have ever been to - probably - why I have been back five times already! I love it there - true nature! Plus, Mountain High Pizza Pie is GORGEOUS! I dream of moving there one day.
-Keeping a diary from 12yrs to 22yrs (to read about me changing - and I even have some MSCL cut-outs from 7 years ago glued in! There is a pic of Angela with 'Woe is me' written on it - cool!)
-The Bridges of Madison County (been there too! LOL) - This film made me think about 'life' and 'life's' decisions. I think every now and then something needs to spark getting our priorities in order.
-Acne
-And of course, those certain once-in-a-life-time friendships we all form with someone.

Who knows what else will change them in the future????

-Special friendships

"And dance by the light of the moon!"

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Apr 6th 2002, 4:37 am

Music has changed my life more than anything else. Specifically the music of Dream Theater (see my nick). Because that conversely made me appreciate all good music, and made me realize a talent for playing an instrument, and that's obviously a life-changing thing. Finding a passion for writing at a young age has had a huge effect of my life. Whether I'm good or not, it's something I enjoy and always will, so no matter how I'm feeling and what I'm missing, I can always sit down and create. Going to college changed my life, despite only going for a year. It made me realize what it is I wanted to do with my life and thus I've spent several years chasing something that I wouldn't have before college.

As shallow as it may seem, movies and television have changed my life, just because I love them so, and when there are those very few things you see or hear that can have such a large emotional impact on you, that has to change you're way or thinking. Obviously there's MSCL. Movies like American Beauty, Magnolia, Ghost World - just to name a few - have had profound effects on me. The movie Stand By Me - always one of my favorites - never really changed my life until I found myself living out that movie in high school and finding that, one day that connection that you have with your best friend can just end inexplicably. The same sentiment of course would later be echoed in MSCL.

But nothing changes your life like life experience. There are just some things you can't be taught in any school. You have to form your own opinions and draw your own conclusions. I have thoughts, ideas and feelings now that I never could've imagined 5 years ago.

I didn't think I would write this much. I analyze things until they barely even exist, that's my problem. And now that I realize that, I have to change that. So this post has also changed my life.

I also vow to stop quoting TV.

- jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com/

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Apr 7th 2002, 6:07 pm

Hi Jim,

May I ask - you are the first person I have 'met' that rated the film Magnolia with seemingly positive comments. When I went to the cinema to see it half of the audience had walked out by the end of it. Me and my sister considered going too but after 2 hours and 45 minutes we figured we must be getting to the end....soon! What exactly did you like about it?? The bit I liked was the raining frogs scene because most people don't know it can really happen!

Lacy
Nicky Driscoll

Post by Lacy » Apr 7th 2002, 6:27 pm

I didn't really like the movie Magnolia. It was too long for one thing, and I didn't understand the end where frogs fell from the sky. What was that about??? As far as movies I did like: American Beauty, The Cider House Rules, Election, Best in Show, Romeo and Juliet, and Clueless.

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

Post by somamoons » Apr 8th 2002, 2:51 pm

taking a cue from Joanna's layout... :)

- breaking up with my first love and dealing with the 2 yr depression that followed.
- Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious: it taught me how to love movies, especially old movies, and especially old movies with Ingrid Bergman and/or Cary Grant and/or directed by Hitchcock. ;)
- getting a degree in women's studies: i went from self-conscious to empowered, and it has opened my eyes to how our society works.
- getting married: never been happier :)

Big events that have impacted my life without changing me in a big way:
- 9/11: when 9/11 happened, it didn't really change me, but it *appeared* to make other Americans notice things I already thought about (how we are too materialistic, too stuck up [eg. thinking this could never happen to us], etc). But I think America still has a long way to go...thinking we could bomb the problem away, that it won't happen again, etc.

And more stuff that I'm too unfocused to think of right now...maybe I'll add more later.

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Apr 8th 2002, 6:34 pm

(First of all I'm not answering on behalf of dTheater. Yeah, kinda obvious =)

I've seen Magnolia only once and that one time was almost a year ago so my recollection of the movie might not be perfect. But what I remember and really.. hmm... appreciate about Magnolia are listed below:

* chance to see Tom Cruise playing such an unusual role for him. Ok, I admit I've seen not so many of his films, but the acting performance in this one really opened my eyes to his talent.
* the character of Donnie Smith (played by W.H.Macy)
* The line: "Now that I've met you, would you object to never seeing me again?"
* last but not least: the sing-along scene -- while some critics feel it was coldly calculated -- I think it was quite touching. Aimee Mann's music was great choice for this film.

> The bit I liked was the raining frogs scene because most people don't know it can really happen!

Wow, I thought it was there just as a kind of biblical reference -- these things actually happen? Something to do with tornados?

> When I went to the cinema to see it half of the audience had walked out by the end of it.

Walking out the cinema while the film's still running is something I've never understood. Doesn't every movie deserve at least that one full chance to show its merits to you? And if after the show you still think the movie truly sucked you can comfort yourself with the fact that, while lost some time and money, you're now one experience richer -- and know better than before what bad cinema is really made of ;-)

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Apr 9th 2002, 1:30 pm

I don't get the walking out of the cinema thing either - why pay all that money (£5.00 here - about $7.50) to walk out before the end? Can't say I have ever done it....yet! I went to see Collateral Damage (with Arnie) last week and people walked out of that too!

Yes the frog thing - it is rare but its when mini tornadoes suck things up (usually out of ponds - such as fish or frogs) and then dispense them elsewehere. I read about it in the paper over here a while back - some poor woman went to hang her washing out and was confronted with s**t loads of dead fish on her lawn! LOL

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Apr 9th 2002, 1:31 pm

Explained the frog thing in the answer to Sine - but even though it is a real phenomenon I'm not sure it happens on the same scale as it that wierd film. Respect to all those that like it though - but I thought it was poor and certainly did not do Tom Cruise any favours!

Joanna
Angela's best friend

Post by Joanna » Apr 9th 2002, 1:33 pm

Loved your reply - I totally related to it - filled me full of hope that there are empowered women out there! YOU GO GIRL

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Apr 9th 2002, 1:37 pm

The only film I ever wanted to walk out of was Interview with the Vampire. BUT...I was with some friends who wouldn't let me leave. So, I just did my best to literally fall asleep in the seat. And before everyone comes down on me for wanting to leave, may I just say it was showing at the dollar show! so I wasn't worried about the money.

So my feeling is, whatever happens, happens.

somamoons
Overlooked Sibling

Post by somamoons » Apr 10th 2002, 1:42 pm

Heheheh! no, YOU go girl! :D

this reminds me of my history class yesterday - our teacher was so happy because she asked all the students who considered themselves feminist to raise their hands. Out of about 40 people, over 2/3rd did. The prof said she always asks that question, and in the last few years, the number of self-defined feminists has gone from virtually none to most of the class. She acknowledged that, of course, her classes are not representative samples of the general population, but it makes her very hopeful that the word "feminist" is being re-written into something positive. :)

So to apply all this to MSCL - do you consider it a feminist show? Why or why not? :)