Angel

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jun 3rd 2003, 8:45 pm

After considering your input (and others) about the futon idea, I have decided to do what Mutant Enemy should have done with the slayerettes and scrapped the idea. (Like how I managed to stay a wee bit on topic?)
I'm now thinking a small blue pull-out couch. (Blue carpet. Thats standard guy color matching. Wearing a grey shirt? Better wear a grey tie).

I really think that this season can be great on Angel, if in fact SMG does decide to do some guest spots (think sweeps and finale). The groundwork for the Buffy/Angel/Spike thing is all in place. Which reminds me of a friend with his opinion that Sarah will be right back in Joss's fold as soon as Scooby Doo III bombs.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 3rd 2003, 8:49 pm

I wonder how many years of NOT being nominated for an Oscar it will take before she realizes that she's not as good as she thinks she is.

Damn, that was mean!

I didn't mean to scare you away from the futon idea - futons rules!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jun 3rd 2003, 8:53 pm

Wow, that was mean. Poor Sarah. :) Actually, about an hour ago I saw her briefly on a SNL repeat. She stood there with that same FirstBuffy look - ie blankly.

Don't worry, the black light is still in play.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 4th 2003, 1:29 am

I saw her on a Howard Stern rerun from last summer and it made me dislike her intensely.

She wouldn't answer a lot of his questions, but instead of playing it off humorously she came across as snotty and petulant. Granted, they were personal questions about her sex life, her salary, etc. but any woman who goes on his show knows what to expect (and given that she said she and Freddie "love" the show and listen to it all the time, she should know what kinds of questions Howard asks his female guests). You don't see guests on Politically Incorrect saying, "I'd really rather not discuss anything political." DUH!

Then again, I read somewhere that she only agreed to appear on Howard Stern because he was starting to talk smack regarding the fact that she refused to do his show. If that's true then she was "going through the motions" again - damn, that quote is quite handy! I think that's the second time I've used it on her.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 4th 2003, 9:41 am

candygirl wrote:I agree - I was trying not to be judgemental in my last post because he obviously got himself an assload of publicity with that "leak," but I think that he really shot himself in the foot.

Joss is notorious for HATING spoilers on the internet so he would never want to hire someone who pulled a stunt like this.

I didn't like the name-dropping either. Notice that he doesn't mention what that "first script in development" is/was. If it had ever gotten out of development then he would just come out and say what it was. The fact that ASH was "attached" to the project at one point does not mean that this writer has any access to ASH anymore, so it's a bit of a stretch to imply that he could just call him up and say, "Hey, remember me? I wrote that script that never came to fruition and your agent talked to you about it? Could you let Joss know I have a script he might be interested in?"

I also would like to know how this script was leaked if he wasn't responsible for it. Why would a production company circulate someone's writing sample on the internet? I mean it's possible (but unlikely) that someone at the production company liked it so much that they forwarded a copy to someone and it exploded on the internet (a la South Park).

There were other ways to address the situation with a lot more class and grace. Methinks the writer doth protest too much!

(that's TWO "doth"s in one day, in the same thread no less, for anyone who is keeping count)
The person who wrote should at least say, "Yeah, it was me."

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 4th 2003, 2:35 pm

The author did admit that he wrote it, but he it's the other stuff he's saying that bugs me.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 5th 2003, 3:01 pm

From Lost Colony's forum, Richard O'Sullivan's posts:
In case any of you missed the controversy over the weekend, yes, I was the author of the "Angel" script that caused a bit of an uproar over the weekend (particularly on Harry Knowles Ain't It Cool News website).

First, let me say: I have not been hired by Mutant Enemy. The script I wrote has NOT been purchased by Joss Whedon. The script in question is not the season opener to the WB television show nor was it part of any elaborate hoax.

It was a writing sample, pure and simple. Written for submission purposes. It's made the rounds at a few production companies and was intended for demonstration purposes only. The fact that it leaked out and caused the stir that it did is something that I find simultaneously flattering and annoying.

Would I be open to working for Mutant Enemy if the opportunity presents itself? Sure. I love their stuff and if the planets were to line up, I'd definitely be interested. But as it stands right now, there's nothing to it.

For those of you who missed it, here is the link to AICN:

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=15350

First, I'm not gonna discuss who the sample materials were submitted to. Not now. Not ever.

I will tell you up front that the script was NEVER submitted to Mutant Enemy nor was that its intended purpose.

When a producer puts a call out for writers, often times they pitch it in the most simple terms possible. For example, they might describe a show as "Buffy-meets-West Wing."

If the writer hasn't even seen a treatment or character outline for the new show, then he or she is going in blind. Therefore, the best bet is to submit a spec script or sample written for, or about, the shows the producer is trying to emulate. It's standard practice.

I've been answering emails all day about the Angel script. People calling me everything from a Messiah to the Antichrist. I've been accused of everything from "covering for Joss because the script is, in fact, real" to stealing some nutjob's fanfic.

Once again, the script was a sample piece. It wasn't for Joss. I don't know Joss. I've never spoken to Joss. I'm a big fan of his and wouldn't hang up on him if he called but I am in no way affiliated with ME, nor are there any plans for me to be.

My immediate goal is getting my own projects off the ground. Plain and simple.
I know this should make me feel sympathetic towards the author, but it doesn't. In fact, it further reinforces my initial feeling that this guy is not to be trusted! Love that he provides a link to AICN just in case we haven't already read Herc's praise ("if it’s 100 percent fabricated, I can tell you this is the finest bit of fan fiction I’ve ever read....it sounds like big fun and a swell start").

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » Jun 5th 2003, 5:16 pm

Even when trying to sound humble he comes across as a jaskass. He wouldn't hang-up on Joss? Let me put it to you another way Richard, Joss wouldn't spit on you if you were on fire.

This whole thing smacks of a publicity ploy which will end up with this guy getting some sort of crappy entry level position somewhere.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 6th 2003, 2:24 pm

from Kristin at eonline
Vincent Kartheiser (Connor) has been contracted for only one episode, though obviously, he could be back in the future should creative necessity strike. Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia) will no longer be a series regular but will appear on a recurring basis. Sources are abuzz with conflicting reasons: The most plausible rumor is C.C. wants to spend more time with her newborn (don't forget, she's now been around longer than any other player in the Buffyverse, so it makes sense that she could use a break); far less likely (and so ridiculous it pains me to mention it) is the persistent rumor that producers didn't ask her back because she hasn't lost her baby weight. Either way, expect a scaled-back role for currently comatose Cordy.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 8th 2003, 3:07 am

:vamp:

Angel Season 2 is now available for preorder at Amazon (release date is now confirmed as 9/2) - and it is the top DVD seller!

:angel:

Top 10 as of 6/8/03
1. Angel - Season 2
2. Stargate SG1 - Season 3
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 4
5. Die Another Day
6. The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers
7. The Animatrix
8. Old School
9. Chicago
10. Sex and the City - Season 4

That is some impressive company and Angel topped them all!

:shocked!:

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

angel

Post by lance » Jun 8th 2003, 1:47 pm

Glad to hear Angel is doing so well in DVD sales.

Hopefully this is just more confirmation for the studio execs of the showing solid performance.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Angel

Post by lance » Jun 8th 2003, 4:22 pm

Here is a list of who is and who is not writing for the upcoming 5th season
of Angel.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15381

Best,

Lance Man

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jun 11th 2003, 11:42 am

I am also very glad Angel is selling well on DVD. Hopefully they will keep releasing more seasons and keep shooting more shows. :lol:
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 2nd 2003, 1:29 am

Recent Angel news: Charisma Carpenter has been cast as the lead in the ABC Family movie "See Jane Date" (based on the Melissa Senate novel).

From filmjerk.com, casting news regarding a new character on Angel:

[spoiler]The fifth season of “Angel” begins filming on July 24 in Los Angeles, with an episode written and directed by Joss Whedon. While most of the media has focused on the addition of James Marsters to the cast, there are still some new characters to be added. While the first episode is still untitled, the premiere will introduce a new character to the Whedonverse named Eve. Described as being in her mid-to-late 20s, she is described as “smart, beautiful, and vulnerable with a sweetness that makes her accessible.”

An ally to the Fang Gang, she is the liaison between Angel and the higher beings at Wolfram & Hart. Our source also reluctantly states that she has a hand in bringing Spike into the fold. This new character will be a recurring guest star on the series and the producers are looking for an actress of any ethnicity.

In a portion of the script obtained by FilmJerk.com, Angel and his crew first find her sitting in Angel's office, telling them she will help them "find their way." After a muted reaction, she tells them that "I know what you're thinking. Lilah Morgan was used to bring you in because she was a familiar face...But you won't be seeing her again. She was just L.A. I work out of all the branches, keeping them connected is a lot of my job. So I'm your guy. Plus, keeping a dead person animated on a physical plane...wait till you get your power bill."[/spoiler]

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jul 15th 2003, 1:53 am

Casting info from SpoilerSlayer:

[spoiler]Kristin's chat transcript is out, and she does have a few 'Angel' tidbits. Nothing that hasn't come out before, but it's more confirmation of some of the rumors going around.

She talked to Joss at the WB Press Party. Joss confirmed that he is trying to get Sarah Michelle Gellar to appear in at least one episode, probably around Sweeps. In addition, he confirmed that Mercedes McNab will reprise her role as 'Harmony' as a recurring, not regular, character.

Also, more confirmation that Stephanie Romanov will not be back, and she speculates that Eve might have a role in Spike's return.[/spoiler]