IDIOTS!

This forum is for questions/discussions about the now sold out first DVD box set by BMG / AnotherUniverse.
pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Jun 9th 2003, 12:20 pm

Sucks when people are getting canned - especially ppl who helped revive MSCL. I thought the MSCL disc was considered relatively successful? Or is that market saturated with dvd special products?
Jason R wrote:I don't know how people will react to this bit of news, but the axe just fell at BMG again --including many of the people involved with the MSCL disc.

Also, the rights expire this month.

So the timing was right. I just wish that AnotherUniverse.com could have made an honest buck instead of trying to wring every penny from customers.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 9th 2003, 12:58 pm

pgh kenny wrote:Sucks when people are getting canned - especially ppl who helped revive MSCL. I thought the MSCL disc was considered relatively successful? Or is that market saturated with dvd special products?
It was also my understanding that the MSCL set was a major success in terms of their expected sales of it.

What a shitty way to reward people. Nothing new though, especially these days.

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jun 9th 2003, 2:05 pm

Supposedly their biggest DVD ever.

But then when they let 1/3 go from my division (in addition to early retirements, probably closer to 40-45%), we were the most profitable division in all of BMG

There is no relation between what people accomplish and whether they keep their jobs there. I still know of plenty of less-than-productive people who are still there. I also know of plenty of people who got axed and brought their Rolodexes to new companies or their own businesses (myself included).

Gord and I had been trying to get BMG to license and release The Kids In The Hall on DVD for the better part of a year now (despite the lies spewed by Ross Rojek that I was a persona non grata at BMG). I wondered why they gave up and let us resume the search for a home so easily. It turns out that the people who gave me their blessings were the same ones who got the axe! :shock:

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 9th 2003, 2:08 pm

Jason R wrote: It turns out that the people who gave me their blessings were the same ones who got the axe! :shock:
:shock: everyone! Stay away from Jason, for he has the kiss of death!! :shock:

:wink:

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jun 9th 2003, 2:31 pm

I know of a certain CEO who is cowering in Sacramento who would agree with your assessment. :lol:

pgh kenny
Angelica

Post by pgh kenny » Jun 9th 2003, 2:54 pm

A while back I read that Circuit City canned their highest sales producers as part of their move away from a commission based model. US companies have always had a tough time rewarding production. I don't know if anyone has noticed the same thing but in Pittsburgh whenever I go into Media Play or Circuit City, one gets the idea that there's not much life left in those retailers. The Media Play near me is especially bad - it's like it caught a terminal illness - wide expansive empty spaces, bad smells, and just a general aura of depression.
Jason R wrote: There is no relation between what people accomplish and whether they keep their jobs there. I still know of plenty of less-than-productive people who are still there.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 9th 2003, 3:46 pm

Jason R wrote:Supposedly their biggest DVD ever.

But then when they let 1/3 go from my division (in addition to early retirements, probably closer to 40-45%), we were the most profitable division in all of BMG

There is no relation between what people accomplish and whether they keep their jobs there. I still know of plenty of less-than-productive people who are still there. I also know of plenty of people who got axed and brought their Rolodexes to new companies or their own businesses (myself included).

Gord and I had been trying to get BMG to license and release The Kids In The Hall on DVD for the better part of a year now (despite the lies spewed by Ross Rojek that I was a persona non grata at BMG). I wondered why they gave up and let us resume the search for a home so easily. It turns out that the people who gave me their blessings were the same ones who got the axe! :shock:
Jason,

Sorry to hear people lost their jobs at BMG. I wish them best of luck trying to find a job in this economy.

Please tell me that in addition to the one-third of the division that lost their jobs that perhaps a CEO at BMG is gone as well. Of at the very least that none of the big wigs at BMG are taking raises while they lay off people. That would be a tragedy.

Working for a large bureaucracy myself I understand the situation of job performance not being tied to job security.

Best,

Lance Man

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jun 9th 2003, 4:12 pm

All I know is that the guy who axed me is now gone. So these cuts certainly affect everyone. It was nothing personal when they axed me and I am sure it was nothing personal when he got axed. It definitely wasn't anything personal as he approved the whole MSCL deal.

BMG was a lot more generous than some other companies, I might add. I think everything is a result of the economy, and the pendulum still swinging back from the roaring 90's. I think piracy has something to do with it, but these large companies are always looking for homeruns, and they end up putting out homogenized CRAP. That's not just BMG, that's pretty much the entire entertainment industry.

Anyway, The severance I got when I was there enabled me to stay afloat even when those promised payments from AU.com did not arrive. I'd say that I like BMG and the people there, but I unfortunately wouldn't even recognize most of the people there today.

Out with the old and in with the new (and lower paid), I guess.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 9th 2003, 4:21 pm

pgh kenny wrote:A while back I read that Circuit City canned their highest sales producers as part of their move away from a commission based model. US companies have always had a tough time rewarding production. I don't know if anyone has noticed the same thing but in Pittsburgh whenever I go into Media Play or Circuit City, one gets the idea that there's not much life left in those retailers. The Media Play near me is especially bad - it's like it caught a terminal illness - wide expansive empty spaces, bad smells, and just a general aura of depression.
Jason R wrote: There is no relation between what people accomplish and whether they keep their jobs there. I still know of plenty of less-than-productive people who are still there.
Hallejuha!

Another person who has had a terrible experience with Media Play!

(Warning major rant approaching :evil: )

Everytime I go in there I have to track down a clerk to help me. I go there to order Babylon 5 and Angel DVD sets typically. I go in with the print out from Amazon.com showing the DVDs are available for order. I ask the clerk to order the set for me.

He says he can't do it because the release isn't showing in the computer. I show him the sheet with release date. He says he can't order it. I say that all the clerks in the past have been able to and I request a manager. Half an hour later I am finally able to order my DVD set.

There in lies the irony, I have to beg them to take my money.

:roll:

Here is a more blantant example. I went to Media Play last September to order my copy of the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring and their is a 12 year kid with his dad at the counter in front of me.

The kid wants to order Attack of the Clones which is also do out in November. The clerk says he can only get in a copy in Lithuanian. The kid becomes frustrated and leaves. I am next and tell him that I want to order my DVD. He says he can only get me a Spanish copy of the regular theaterical release. I ask to see a manager.

He sheepishly walking over to his manager. Meanwhile I lean over the counter and look at the list of upcoming DVD titles. Halfway down the list is the Fellowship of the Ring extended version (in English) set for November release with the Media Play ordering code number.

I walk over to the clerk and manager. The clerk can't find the order number he needs. I hand the manager the upcoming release sheet and show her the number. I got my DVD ordered. I almost asked the clerk to sign over his paycheck to me.

:roll:

Anyway, the only reason I go there is that they give you gift certificates after you spend so much money.

Best,

Lance

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 9th 2003, 4:22 pm

Jason R wrote:All I know is that the guy who axed me is now gone. So these cuts certainly affect everyone. It was nothing personal when they axed me and I am sure it was nothing personal when he got axed. It definitely wasn't anything personal as he approved the whole MSCL deal.

BMG was a lot more generous than some other companies, I might add. I think everything is a result of the economy, and the pendulum still swinging back from the roaring 90's. I think piracy has something to do with it, but these large companies are always looking for homeruns, and they end up putting out homogenized CRAP. That's not just BMG, that's pretty much the entire entertainment industry.

Anyway, The severance I got when I was there enabled me to stay afloat even when those promised payments from AU.com did not arrive. I'd say that I like BMG and the people there, but I unfortunately wouldn't even recognize most of the people there today.

Out with the old and in with the new (and lower paid), I guess.
Glad to hear that you are still afloat.

Best,

Lance Man

Jason R
"Mr. DVD"

Post by Jason R » Jun 9th 2003, 5:21 pm

the "afloat" news is old. i'm practically thriving now that AU is out of my life (with the exception that I hope I get to testify against them).

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 10th 2003, 1:21 pm

Jason R wrote:the "afloat" news is old. i'm practically thriving now that AU is out of my life (with the exception that I hope I get to testify against them).
Has to be less stress not having to deal with AU everyday.

Best,

Lance Man