Spoilers in the tv forum

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Spoilers in the tv forum

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 1st 2003, 8:18 pm

Although many of the discussions here in the tv forums are about older shows, there are some discussions of current shows. Since some of our members prefer to be unspoiled (meaning they don't want to know what is going to happen until they see it on tv), please take precautions to label any posts that contain spoilers.

What is a spoiler exactly? Any information (plot, casting, or otherwise) regarding an episode that has not yet aired. I realize things get a bit sticky since this is an international board, so use your best judgement.

Speculation is different because it's what you think might happen. Sometimes our astute members hypothesize and are amazingly accurate! We will not accuse you of disguising spoilers as your own speculation, but for the sake of all unspoiled members please don't take advantage of that and try to disguise spoilers as speculation!

So how should you label spoilers? One way is to provide enough space and warning that unspoiled members can choose to scroll down past it. If you use this method, please allow enough space between the spoiler warning and the actual spoiler to ensure that the spoilers are not immediately visible. What does that mean?

Example of not enough spoiler space:

* SPOILER *

This character is going to die!

Example of enough spoiler space:

SPOILER

This actress is leaving the show!

A safer way to post about spoilers is to use the font color option. Use a spoiler warning, then type the spoilers in white (when you are posting, go to the font color box above the text and select white or manually use the [color = white] tag). Anyone who wants to read the spoiler can highlight the spoiler text.
Her dead uncle isn't really dead!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Jun 1st 2003, 10:19 pm

Is this the same uncle that died twice before? Cause if it is, I hear he's going to die again next season. But don't worry, cause his girlfriend comes out of the coma right before that, so they get to spend one night together.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 2nd 2003, 9:13 am

I added another possibility to add spoilers in an easy way to your posts. You may have noticed the new button "Spoiler" when composing your messages. It works exactly like the other buttons or you can type the Spoiler-Tags by hand: I just saw a preview for the next episode and [spoiler]its not her uncle who comes back from the dead, it's his evil twin-brother[/spoiler] - lame plot twist, IMHO.

I'll demonstrate in the next posting how it looks.
Last edited by Sascha on Jun 2nd 2003, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Jun 2nd 2003, 9:16 am

And here's the spoiler-function in action:

I just saw a preview for the next episode and [spoiler]its not her uncle who comes back from the dead, it's his evil twin-brother[/spoiler] - lame plot twist, IMHO.

Note: You don't have to type "SPOILER:[...]", the board does that for you automatically.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

spoilers

Post by lance » Jun 2nd 2003, 9:35 am

Candygirl,

Thanks for this thread. A little courtesy goes a long way :D

Sab,

Thanks for the info on the spolier button.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 2nd 2003, 2:15 pm

Thanks for adding the new spoiler tag!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jun 2nd 2003, 2:53 pm

I think the general rule on other boards is that if it has aired on the East Coast, it is fair game to post about it.

The spolier tags rock, thanks Sab.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 2nd 2003, 3:16 pm

I just wanted to try out the spoiler tag.

[spoiler]don't look here....damn..too late.[/spoiler]

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 2nd 2003, 3:22 pm

Since the OCD on this board does not translate to everyone sitting at their computers and typing comments while they watch the show (TWoP!), I didn't think it was absolutely necessary to specify a time zone (there are some other boards that wait until the show has finished airing on the Pacific coast so that everyone can discuss together).

Seeing as most people here don't feel compelled to discuss episodes immediately after the show ends (sometimes we wait days before talking about what happened!), I figured that the guideline for our tv forum can be it's a spoiler until it's been aired. After that, it's wide open.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 4th 2003, 12:25 am

Thanks for holding up the fort kids. The note on spoilers, and the options available to avoid spilling the beans, are always useful.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 4th 2003, 12:30 am

GaryEA wrote:Thanks for holding up the fort kids. The note on spoilers, and the options available to avoid spilling the beans, are always useful.

Gary
Aw damnit...who forgot to change the locks...looks like he ::points subtly::: is back.

:wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 4th 2003, 1:18 am

And I didn't even have a chance to run amok yet.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 4th 2003, 9:19 am

candygirl wrote:And I didn't even have a chance to run amok yet.

Tis a sad day indeed when Candygirl can't run amok.

:cry:

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Jun 4th 2003, 9:20 am

fnordboy wrote:
GaryEA wrote:Thanks for holding up the fort kids. The note on spoilers, and the options available to avoid spilling the beans, are always useful.

Gary
Aw damnit...who forgot to change the locks...looks like he ::points subtly::: is back.

You make it sound as if he is back from the dead.

Its alive! Alive!

Best,

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Jun 4th 2003, 11:58 am

fnordboy:
Your subtly is like a warm, friendly brick to the face. Thanks buddy...lol.

candygirl:
And I didn't even have a chance to run amok yet.
A week I gave you. Squandered your time, you have.

lance:
You make it sound as if he is back from the dead.

Its alive! Alive!
As soon as I read that, I thought of "Young Frankenstein" (don't ask me why).

PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ! :D

Gary