What are lifers listening to these days?

Want to share your enthusiasm for an artist or a band with other "My So-Called Life" fans? Post here. (Note: Please discuss the MSCL soundtrack in the "Show" forum)
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 20th 2003, 10:26 am

ducksqueak wrote:My musical tastes have always been really diverse.

Ace of Base
:crazyeyes: :shocked!: :crazyeyes:

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

I luv emo *sigh*

Post by crimsonglowgurl » May 20th 2003, 1:55 pm

Weezer
Dashboard confessional
The Ataris
Further Seems Forever
The Get Up Kids
i have a Matchbox 20 thing going on right now, Rob looks so hot in the Unwell video *sigh*
Taking Back Sunday
Azure Ray
and a sprinkle of Avril and J-Lo

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » May 20th 2003, 6:54 pm

fnordboy wrote:
ducksqueak wrote:My musical tastes have always been really diverse.

Ace of Base
:crazyeyes: :shocked!: :crazyeyes:

Now why do you have to pick on me??? You may not respect Ace of Base and think they write really poppy dance music, but it's fun damn fun!!! Maybe it's my childhood obsession w/them that has followed me into adulthood. I'd still be listening to New Kids if I hadn't sold their cds @ a yard sale.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 7:00 pm

ducksqueak wrote:I'd still be listening to New Kids if I hadn't sold their cds @ a yard sale.
I went a step further and bought their great hits CD (before the advent of downloading).

Please don't go girl...

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 20th 2003, 10:34 pm

candygirl wrote:
ducksqueak wrote:I'd still be listening to New Kids if I hadn't sold their cds @ a yard sale.
I went a step further and bought their great hits CD (before the advent of downloading).

Please don't go girl...

Whew...thank god my 1000th post isnt about NKOTB. That would suck :)

But anyways, my favorite thing about them is that in the Hangin' Tough video (iirc) Jordan is wearing a Bauhaus t-shirt. How f***ing awesome is that? It's like he is begging that someone will notice and say ... "Hey, Jordan must be cool, he digs Bauhaus" Even though it was probably he stylist, I liek to imagine it was Jordan. :lol:

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » May 20th 2003, 11:55 pm

I remember the b-side of to Ace of Base's "I Saw the Sign." I think the song was called "Young and Proud." That was a great song. Of course "I Saw the Sign" blew. :)

Since I last posted, I've become a huge Wilco fan mostly on the strength of their recent album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and the full-length feature-film documentary that followed. Summerteeth is one of my favorite albums of all-time and I've been inspired by Jeff Tweedy -- one of the great song-writers of this or any time -- to pick up the guitar for the third or fourth time, only be serious about this time. Anyway, as a long-time drummer, I wanted to start making actual music. :wink:

And ah yes, I saw NightJessi mention The Gathering earlier in this thread and I forgot how magnificent they are. The best female vocalist anywhere, and the most haunting, experimental music you'll hear.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2003, 12:17 am

fnordboy wrote:Whew...thank god my 1000th post isnt about NKOTB. That would suck :)

But anyways, my favorite thing about them is that in the Hangin' Tough video (iirc) Jordan is wearing a Bauhaus t-shirt. How f***ing awesome is that? It's like he is begging that someone will notice and say ... "Hey, Jordan must be cool, he digs Bauhaus" Even though it was probably he stylist, I liek to imagine it was Jordan. :lol:
How about if we make post #998 about NKOTB? I'd settle for that.

:wink:

My favorite NKOTB video moment was "Just get on the floor and do the New Kids Dance!"

Sometimes my friend just yells that out and we do the little dance.

The funny skipping dance from "The Right Stuff" comes in a close second, but misses by a hair - probably because the New Kids Dance is preceded by that intense finger-pointing.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 21st 2003, 1:12 am

LOL NKOTB.... <sigh>...classic.

And it is The Right Stuff that I was thinking about i think. Once you said it I remembered.

Jordan is so gawth! :P

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 21st 2003, 1:29 am

ducksqueak wrote:Now why do you have to pick on me??? You may not respect Ace of Base and think they write really poppy dance music, but it's fun damn fun!!! Maybe it's my childhood obsession w/them that has followed me into adulthood. I'd still be listening to New Kids if I hadn't sold their cds @ a yard sale.
LOL, I'm sorry it's not you. It's Ace of Base. ;)

I mean sure we all like to lather ourselves up with whip cream dancing around the house singing at the top of our longs "I SAW THE SIGN..." ...err...right?...tell me I'm not alone on this one guys...uhhh....GUYS?!?!??! :shock:

nevermind.

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » May 21st 2003, 4:11 am

[quote="dTheater"]I remember the b-side of to Ace of Base's "I Saw the Sign." I think the song was called "Young and Proud." That was a great song. Of course "I Saw the Sign" blew. :)

Ah yes!!! "Young and Proud" is probably one of Ace of Base's best songs ever. I'm glad someone remembers it! Maybe I shouldn't admit this but I know all the words to The Sign album. Excuse me while I go listen to The Sign and The Bridge.
---Link in "Hairspray"

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » May 21st 2003, 4:22 am

candygirl wrote:
My favorite NKOTB video moment was "Just get on the floor and do the New Kids Dance!"

Sometimes my friend just yells that out and we do the little dance.

The funny skipping dance from "The Right Stuff" comes in a close second, but misses by a hair - probably because the New Kids Dance is preceded by that intense finger-pointing.
I'm gonna have to agree with you on that.

This is totally off topic, but here are my fave New Kid moments. Did any of you have a mock trial team in high school? My school had one and I was actually a member. NKOTB were our mascots. (Did I mention this was fairly recently? I only graduated in 2001.) There was this girl who always brought her NKOTB pillow case and whenever things weren't going bad for the team, she would sing NKOTB songs in her head. If we were really in trouble, she'd sing them under her breath. They took us all the way to the county finals! It was almost like we were in their Saturday morning cartoon. When things got bad, they started to sing and they turned into musical notes and everything got better.

I actually met Joey Joe when he was doing this off-Broadway show Tick...Tick...Tick...Boom! I consider myself a pretty put-together person in public. (You may not.) When I got close to him, I turned into a giggling elementary school kid. I didn't calm down until after I got home that night. Awww Joey. But he's not even my fave. I used to doodle "I love Jordan Knight" all over my notebooks in 1st grade. I got in trouble for it.
---Link in "Hairspray"

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 21st 2003, 4:43 am

ducksqueak wrote:I actually met Joey Joe when he was doing this off-Broadway show Tick...Tick...Tick...Boom!
FYI - Wilson Cruz is now appearing in the touring company of tick, tick...BOOM!

More info here

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » May 23rd 2003, 12:17 am

I can't believe I almost missed a NKOTB discussion. Thank God for insomnia.

First off, I'm still waiting for Donnie to ask me to run away with him. Sure, he's married with kids now and so am I, but who can deny the spark of true love between us?

Mrs. Megan Wahlberg. How perfect is that?

Secondly, I always thought of "the New Kids dance" as the thing where you arms are perpindicular in front of you and you alternate pushing your fist with the other hand... hard to decribe, but do you know what I mean? I mean, boy bands do specialize in pointing fingers too, but I like the pushing-the-fist move. And the swinging legs for "The Right Stuff" - I used to know that whole dance.

Alright, let me stop myself right there before you all are so in awe of my coolness that you dare not post below this one.

Meg

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 23rd 2003, 2:09 am

That's it baby - you know the New Kids' Dance!

Hangin' tough - we're rough!

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 23rd 2003, 5:20 am

NKOTB - Ahhhhhhh..... and the lovely Joey McIntyre :P Yep, I was a fan. I had the t-shirt, I had the concert tickets (disappointing doesn't even cover it), and I wrote the fan mail.

Having grown up slightly, I'd take Donnie over the rest of them but at the time it was Joey all the way. :roll:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------