The Rules of Attraction

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Megs
Lifehead

The Rules of Attraction

Post by Megs » May 19th 2003, 2:13 pm

Has anyone seen this? My husband and I watched it last night. I have no idea what to think. I don't know if I liked it or not. It was very strange. What happened at the end? When Dawson, er, Sean, was driving away on his bike, and he said the only thing he could think of was...? Was what? Am I stupid? I just felt like something was missing. What was the plot?

:?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: The Rules of Attraction

Post by fnordboy » May 20th 2003, 1:03 am

Megs wrote:Has anyone seen this? My husband and I watched it last night. I have no idea what to think. I don't know if I liked it or not. It was very strange. What happened at the end? When Dawson, er, Sean, was driving away on his bike, and he said the only thing he could think of was...? Was what? Am I stupid? I just felt like something was missing. What was the plot?

:?
Plot? There was a plot???? Damnit! ;)

Well I have to say, I enjoyed the movie. I bought the DVD when it was released because I was curious about the movie and I heard good things about it overall. I don't know if there really was a point to the movie, if there was it was missed on my one and only viewing (so far). I did enjoy it, I usually enjoy these "day in the life" type of things (even though it was a semester in the life type of thing :) ).

I am not a fan of Bret Easton Ellis at all, I actually tried reading this book about 9 years ago but could not for the life of me get into it. It is his style of writing. He was always compared to Dennis Cooper back in the day (and vice versa) they always seemed to release books about similar subjects around the same time. And Cooper blows him away IMO, as long as you don't mind reading graphic homosexual sex scenes and some pretty gorey (as in bloody) things. Cooper is brilliant! Ellis is not!

I was wary about this movie mainly because I hated American Psycho about as much as I hated the book back when I read it. But I was interested since the director is the same guy who wrote and directed Killing Zoe, an old favorite.

I was also very impressed with James Van "Damn I have a Big Head" Der Beek's performance. A nice change from Dawson. And I was glad to see him bring the homoeroticism over from Dawson into this movie ;) :lol:

Overall I enjoyed it. Thought it was interesting. Wasn't that impressed with the big hoopla camera effect shot (in the hallway when they first meet). Thought it was a big deal over almost nothing. There was some humorous moments in this movie and I did like the cinematography as a whole.

Ok, so i digressed and didnt really answer your question ;)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: The Rules of Attraction

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 1:32 am

fnordboy wrote: I was also very impressed with James Van "Damn I have a Big Head" Der Beek's performance. A nice change from Dawson. And I was glad to see him bring the homoeroticism over from Dawson into this movie ;) :lol:
You are obsessed with the Beek's big head!

:shocked!:

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » May 20th 2003, 9:24 am

Yes, I just kept saying throughout the movie, "Damn, that's a fat head!"

A few times I laughed out loud and a few times where I cringed (suicide scene), which is always a good sign.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Jun 14th 2003, 5:49 am

Well I have to say I hated the movie. I bought the DVD because I've heard people talking about how good it was, boy that was a mistake. I could use the DVD as a coaster because I know I will NEVER watch it again.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Jun 14th 2003, 1:45 pm

Why would I want to watch a movie like this where I feel depressed at the end. With the exception of true life or historical plots, this is not my idea of a good time at the movies. I had this same problem with Riding in Cars with Boys.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

jaynedoh
Nicky Driscoll

Rules...

Post by jaynedoh » Jul 6th 2003, 11:10 pm

I really disliked this movie. I hated the characters, thought the plot was weak, and I just felt ill after watching it. I thought I was going to like it because I liked American Psycho, but I guess I was wrong. :?