What would be Worse for Brian?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
JPP13
Angela's best friend

What would be Worse for Brian?

Post by JPP13 » May 5th 2003, 9:54 pm

Obviously the series finale was one of the most thought provoking and heart-breaking in all of TV. And we all saw for the first time that Angela had an understanding of who and what Brian was. And her face and eyes said what her voice didn't.

Conversely, she still left with Jordan.

Therefore, I was thinking of two different scenarios for the rest of their So-Called Lives. Both of which a possibility.

First, Angela at some point kisses Brian, and lets him kiss her. But ultimately her heart isn't in it. Maybe they "date" for a week or two.

Or,

Angela never treats Brian like anything beyond what we've seen. Friends. neighbors.

Which would be a worse scenario for Brian? (I think all such questions, when posed, are merely an attept to judge ourselves - aside).

Thinking about it, I believe that if he had Angela, even for a fleeting moment, would probably ruin him for the rest of his life. he'd forever be remembering their encounters, and I don't think he'd get past that. Smart guys over-analyze things, and don't forget them. And he'd always be looking for the way back.

If they never were together, obviously he has the longing, and the wonder, but he doesn't have the memory to fall back on. better chance he moves on with his life.

The optimist would point out there this is of course a third scenario, but I'm ignoring that. :)

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

worse if he had her

Post by crimsonglowgurl » May 5th 2003, 10:33 pm

Wow. Thats really tough!!! In both situations i see Brian lying on his bed staring at the celing... torturing himself with by wondering why he cant "really" get the girl (we would get a great voiceover here!)
But if i HAD to pick the worst out of two terrible situations, Id say that it would be worse for Brian to have a taste of Angela so to speak, because I can see him convincing himself into thinking that Angela actually DOES have feelings for him for a very long time. I think he would want to believe it so bad, that he would interpret every moment with her in a way that would leave him convinced that he really had her.
Ultimately, in the end when Angela does something clearly not in line with his expectations or whatever, his hopes would come crashing down and he would be left in a terrible state.
Better for him to live with dreams of what "might have been."

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » May 5th 2003, 11:23 pm

Yeah crimson, thats well said. I think you are right, that 1 week of happiness would probably lead to years of sleepless nights. And you make a good point about him then forever interpreting her actions in the way he wanted to see them.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 5th 2003, 11:37 pm

I remember the times I didn't risk failure and rejection better than the times I've achieved success. I think it would be better for Brian in the long run to have a moment with Angela, even if the world falls out from under him. People usually don't die of a broken heart. But cowardice kills people a little everyday.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

doodles444s
Overlooked Sibling

Post by doodles444s » May 6th 2003, 12:11 am

I think that it would be easier for Brian if he doesn't have Angela for a fleeting moment (or fleeting moments). However, I'm just guessing that if most people had to choose... they would choose to at least have had a "taste" of being with the person they care that much about. They are that important to them that they realize it would hurt to remember, but it would in fact be worth it. Because as much at it would hurt to remember, it would be nice to at least have some memories.

Something that I thought of that I don't think anyone mentioned is that: if Brian does have a moment (or some moments), he would question his actions- what he may have done wrong. I could see him asking himself what he could have changed and how could he have been more what Angela wants/needs. I don't know if that all came out right.. but you get my drift. He would be haunted by the desire to go back and change what went wrong, as well as the "great" memories.

I guess this hits a little close to home... being in a position that I had something that can be compared to what Brian and Angela would be. Even though it hurts to have the doubts, about what I could have done to change the outcome, and the good memories... I can't say I would trade them in and not have had a "taste" of being with him at all.
So hold me when I'm here, right me when I'm wrong
Hold me when I'm scared, and love me when I'm gone
Everything I am, and everything in me
Wants to be the one you wanted me to be
I'll never let you down, even if I could

crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

Post by crimsonglowgurl » May 10th 2003, 12:43 am

Doodles and TomSpeed: you both make very good points...its interesting to see peoples different takes on the idea..