Back to the Future - problems and more

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Back to the Future - problems and more

Post by fnordboy » Dec 28th 2002, 7:59 pm

Well since GaryEA brought up starting a thread for it, I figured I would.

I bought the set the day it came out (widescreen of course). I only watched BttF 2 so far, and to be perfectly honest I didn't really notice a framing problem. If I wouldnt have known about the problem I wouldnt have noticed at all. Guess ignorance is bliss, I unfortunately knew about the problem weeks before it was released.I attribute not noticing anything to the fact that I haven't seen the movies in atleast 7 or 8 years.

The problem I did have was that I originally got no BttF 2 disc in my set, and the set was packaged in reverse and upside down...Ross is the head of Universal now I guess...

Returned it and got a good copy.

In defense of Universal, I read elsewhere that the framing issue is being blown out of proportions because most likely do to the Soft Matting even when it was shown in the theatres it would have been shown differently at each theatre, so in reality we all havent even seen the "same" movie. I don't know how true that is, I really don't know much about the soft matting thing.

Next?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 30th 2002, 2:42 pm

To be fair, I think film school took some of the fun out of simply watching a movie without thinking like a film maker. So when I had heard of the matting snafu, I asked a friend to show it to me before I had a meltdown.

For each film, the matting problems happen on only a few shots, but since I was looking for them, I caught them immediately. It's a matter of taste if you want to return them or not.

The films aren't ruined if you keep them, it's just that on a couple of shots, they'll be heads or hands cut off and maybe some extra headroom. I'm a perfectionist with OCD, so I'll wait it out and buy it when the corrected versions hit the street. No big deal.

Sorry to hear about your disc 2 problem. Glad you got it fixed. :)

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 30th 2002, 8:32 pm

GaryEA wrote:I'm a perfectionist with OCD.
And there is nothing wrong with that!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Dec 30th 2002, 8:38 pm

:lol:

People with OCD unite, but do it symetrically and in order of height!

(marches off)

:wink:

Gary

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Dec 31st 2002, 3:51 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: at Candy and Gary... looks like we're one straightjacket shy of an asylum!

Are you sure height is the best sorting method? I was thinking alphabetically cross-referenced by body/mass index. And don't forget to cross and uncross your fingers on both hands in rythym with the march. And touch as many wooden objects as possible along the way...

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Dec 31st 2002, 4:07 am

Well, date of birth is also a factor (cross referenced with both your sun sign as well as your Chinese animal).

And count each step as we march upstairs - right foot for even steps, left foot for odd steps!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

bdckr
Jody Barsh

replacement discs

Post by bdckr » May 1st 2003, 6:40 pm

Replacement DVDs came in the mail today for II and III. Anyone else get theirs yet?

Checked out the first part of II, looks like they fixed it.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: replacement discs

Post by fnordboy » May 2nd 2003, 2:09 pm

bdckr wrote:Replacement DVDs came in the mail today for II and III. Anyone else get theirs yet?

Checked out the first part of II, looks like they fixed it.
I actually never sent mine back in, I figured fnck it, the problem is not that bad IMO.