Who Framed Roger Rabbit

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 30th 2003, 4:28 am

I just bought the new Who Framed Roger Rabbit DVD. The movie froze around 1h 34min - I thought maybe it was just my player hiccuping, so I rewound it to the same spot two more times and the same thing happened.

I (very resentfully) went back to Cost Co and stood in line to exchange it for another copy. I would like to add that their merchandise counter doesn't do exchanges - the take the product, give you the money back either in cash or on a Cost Co card, then have you go get whatever you want and stand in the regular checkout line. Lame.

I took home my new version and decided I had better watch it to make sure that there was nothing wrong with this copy. The movie froze in the exact same place again, and for longer.

Has anyone else heard of a similar problem? Or did I just happen to get the two bum copies?
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 30th 2003, 10:56 am

I have this disc but have yet to watch it. I will check it tonight if i can. Most likely, hate to say, it is probably a player compatibility issue. Some players just choke on certain discs. And unless it is a widespread issue across multiple players the company won't do anythign about it.

Honestly though I haven't heard any issues with the Cyberhome and WFRR? so I may be wrong. I know the cyberhome will choke on Mallrats, and my Samsung completely gets killed by an anime disc I have, His and Her Circumstances.

try the disc out on someone elses player (different than yours) and see if it chokes in the same spot. This is one of the reasons I like to have 2 players in the house.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 30th 2003, 1:19 pm

I checked HTR and although there have been complaints about the disc freezing, a lot of them are related to the subtitles. I find it weird that I have the same problem in the same place on two different discs (by the way, I am talking about the Enthusiast widescreen disc - #2, not the Family Friendly fullscreen disc).

I am going to try it on the PS2 tonight and see what happens.

If it's definitely the disc, I am returning it somewhere else because I really can't take CostCo three nights in a row.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 1st 2003, 1:20 pm

I didn't watch the entire movie on PS2 last night - just skipped ahead to the problem spot and it seemed okay, so I put the movie back in the DVD player and same problem, same place. WTF?

I had to go out to the store anyway, so I went by Barnes and Noble to exchange the movie for another copy. Just for the sake of argument. I tried copy #3 in the DVD player and (drum roll) it froze in the exact same place! Maybe my DVD player just doesn't like that moment when Eddie reveals who the real killer is (hint: not OJ).

I give up.

:x

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 2nd 2003, 2:06 pm

candygirl wrote:I didn't watch the entire movie on PS2 last night - just skipped ahead to the problem spot and it seemed okay, so I put the movie back in the DVD player and same problem, same place. WTF?

I had to go out to the store anyway, so I went by Barnes and Noble to exchange the movie for another copy. Just for the sake of argument. I tried copy #3 in the DVD player and (drum roll) it froze in the exact same place! Maybe my DVD player just doesn't like that moment when Eddie reveals who the real killer is (hint: not OJ).

I give up.

:x
Definitely sounds like a player incompatability issue then. I would say when cash flow permits, pick up another dvd player and use the cyberhome for region free only. I have not hear dof any other region discs that do not work on it. You might want to check the forums for Cyberhome over at nerd-out.com (Cyberhome thread: http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/viewforum ... 0&start=50 )

Quick fix might be to update the firmware, I think you can download it form the Cyberhome website, supposedly that fixes a lot fo the freezeup issues. Otherwise contact Cyberhome and maybe they will exchange your player (i heard they are good with that) and give you a new one. Some players are affected differently.