Brad's theory

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Brad's theory

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 10th 2003, 4:18 am

Hallie says that Brad's first two theories about Graham were:

(1) He thinks you secretly and passionately yearn to do this and if you don't you'll kill yourself or somebody else, or something...

(2) He says you'll cave in at the last minute.

She later says, "No, be honest, I mean people only do what they want to do. I mean, hah, you wouldn't be here if you didn't really want to be, right? You know, Brad, had this theory about you, oh, actually about me..." and then runs off to the lawyer's office about the lease before explaining Brad's theory.

Soooo was Brad perceptive enough to see something between Hallie and Graham? What do you think Brad's third theory was?
Last edited by Natasha (candygirl) on Jan 10th 2003, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 10th 2003, 10:03 am

I think that Brad's third theory was about Hallie having feelings for Graham, and vice versa. I think that is why he broke off their engagement.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Chase Cat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by Chase Cat » Jan 10th 2003, 2:52 pm

Megs wrote:I think that Brad's third theory was about Hallie having feelings for Graham, and vice versa. I think that is why he broke off their engagement.
I agree. I think Hallie talked with Brad about Graham as often as Graham did with Patty about Hallie and the restaurant. So it was a matter of time that Hallie's and Brad's relationship collapsed under the heavy weight of her enthusiasm vs. Brad's boredom.

It's also a question, what Patty thought when Graham started to admit his wish to run the restaurant in "Resolutions". According to her reaction, was she just thinking he would admit, that he cheated her, or he cheated her with Hallie? Maybe in this moment Patty was obsessed by the same thoughts, that have moved Brad to cancel the engagement.
Patty to Graham: You always buy the cat nicer food than I do.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 10th 2003, 4:05 pm

I also thought that Patty was scared that Graham was going to confess to having a relationship with Hallie, when he really told her that he wanted to do the restaurant.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Jan 26th 2003, 10:31 pm

i assume that hallie was going to tell graham that brad thought that they were having an affair, or at least had noticed that HALLIE had feelings for graham. but, i can also see how hallie could be using that line, which may be true, to talk to graham about the possibility of an affair. sometimes it's easier to say that someone else has a theory -- so you do not have to take credit for putting yourself out there. that way, if graham were to respond with, "that's ridiculous!" she could say that she thought so too.

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » Apr 30th 2003, 1:17 am

likelife wrote:i assume that hallie was going to tell graham that brad thought that they were having an affair, or at least had noticed that HALLIE had feelings for graham. but, i can also see how hallie could be using that line, which may be true, to talk to graham about the possibility of an affair. sometimes it's easier to say that someone else has a theory -- so you do not have to take credit for putting yourself out there. that way, if graham were to respond with, "that's ridiculous!" she could say that she thought so too.
I never even thought of that, but you know what, that is a very perceptive idea, because it is pretty obvious that Hallie has feelings for Graham and it would be more than awkward for her to just up and say it or make a move since Graham is married and has children. That would be the perfect excuse to bring the subject up without putting herself on the line, just makes you wonder, I really wonder if the show had gone on if they would have made any major problems such as an affair or a divorce come of the strange Hallie/Graham thing that always seems to be on the VERGE of happening.
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 30th 2003, 4:17 am

I don't like Hallie. At all. Leave Graham alone!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 30th 2003, 9:28 am

Kristin wrote:I don't like Hallie. At all. Leave Graham alone!
Me, too. I really think Graham would turn Hallie down if she made a play for him.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Apr 30th 2003, 10:06 pm

I think from Halle's end it was on the verge of happening, but I don't think so with Graham. He was infatuated with Halle, sure, but he always kept her at arms length. Although he and Patty had their share of petty arguments, they didn't have any serious problems and he was obviously very physically attracted to her and there were clearly no problems in the bedroom!

One thing that struck me with this scene is that for whatever reason Halle is about to confess, whether she is trying to make the first move, or just to explain why she and Brad broke up - Graham seems clueless. Halle is the wild whirlwind person and Graham is caught up in an infatuation with her but when she is on the verge of crying he doesn't try to comfort her physically (hug her - or more) which would be the perfect opportunity, and the natural reaction if he really were just on the verge of an affair with her. Instead he just stands there. Almost as if Halle is right - she does scare him.

As attractive as Graham is (yum!) I'm sure this is not the first time an attractive woman has started a friendship with him since he's been married. I'm sure this is not his first temptation. If Angela is 15, we can assume Patty and Graham have probably been married at least that long. Yeah, I'm sure he's been in this situation before. I agree, I dount he'd go for Halle, even if he is feeling tempted by her.

Meg

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 30th 2003, 10:48 pm

meggrrrl wrote:I think from Halle's end it was on the verge of happening, but I don't think so with Graham. He was infatuated with Halle, sure, but he always kept her at arms length.
I agree - he had a huge chance to go in for the kill in the final episode of the show, and he pulled away. For much of their relationship, he was clueless about her attraction to him. By the last episode, he sees where the cards have fallen - Brad is out of the picture, he realizes that Hallie is interested in him, etc. and he chooses to walk away from that moment where he could have kissed her. Whether it's to preserve their professional partnership (and by extension his dream to open a restaurant), loyalty to Patty, or fear of losing Angela and Danielle, he makes a conscious choice to remove himself from the situation and go home to his family. Just as he ultimately decided not to meet the Tie Grabber at the cliche motel, he has decided not to allow his relationship with Hallie proceed to a level that would constitute physical cheating.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » May 6th 2003, 4:17 pm

I will agree with the above statements as well. I think Graham realizes that the consequences of even starting anything with Hallie would SO not be worth it. He loves his family too much, and Patty as well even if she CAN be somewhat overbearing at times.

I definitely agree that for Hallie it is more "on the verge" than for Graham, simply because he refuses to let it. He knows where the boundaries have to be...at least for him, and I think he has continuously been very careful to not let Hallie cross them. I think Hallie just keeps thinking....eventually something will happen here, but I do not think Graham has any intentions of that, because I think even if it tempts him and even if he is somewhat infatuated, I think everytime when something could've almost possibly happened, he remembers Patty, remembers Angela, remembers Danielle and it hits him-HEY what am I doing, I have a family, I love them, They love me, we need each other, I'm not going to throw that away. But Hallie obviously did not have the same thoughts, because she let herself become so obsessed with Graham that Brad couldn't handle it and they split. And now she's left chasing someone who doesn't really want to be chased.

And personally I think part of the time, before Camille made her accusations of Hallie, that Patty purposely seemed/acted sort of "clueless" about any idea of something sketchy going on w/ Hallie and Graham is because she didn't WANT to believe it and by pretending she had no concerns at all was like "making it go away." A trademark Angela move as well, if you notice....since we all like talking about all the things Ang picks up from Patty (In my Humble Opinion..for instance)

uhhh, i guess thats all for now...need to get ready for work
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."