Parker Lewis on DVD? And other greats...

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 25th 2003, 11:27 pm

OK... here comes a five alarm rant.

<deep breath>

Warner Borothers bugs the hell out of me. Well, most studios bug me, but the WB has managed to stay right up there as the studio that baffles me the most and downright pisses me off.

The last chat at the HTF was no different; the suits arrived, and the first question got under my skin...
[HTF Member] Hi, thanks for being here tonight. Are there plans for the Animated Batman to come in sets rather than the individual releases with only a few episodes? Thanks!

[Warner] No plans for season sets on Animated Batman at this time.
Okay, the key words there are at this time. WB could change their plans during a single staff meeting, but it's the sheer concept they're comfortable with that's mind-numbing; it's going to take forever to get the entire series on disc (if they're planning to do just that). They released the show in it's entirety on VHS (through Columbia House), but the digital edition will come four episodes at a time, maybe four times a year, at fifteen bucks a pop.

Joy. 'Tis great to be a fan.

"Animaniacs" seemed like a natural choice for DVD (though I'd prefer "Freakaziod" myself), but again, "not at this time". Who knows? Maybe they're tracking sales. Maybe they really will release box sets of oddball titles.

It's obvious cult and genre shows are not in favor. From A&E? Yeah. Not WB.. Marvel Comics properties are all over the movie screens, but properties such as "The Flash" are ignored. While "Firefly", the interesting sci-fi series mauled by Fox execs, will be released on disc, "Birds of Prey" won't. But absolutely you can get "Dawson's Creek", "Felicity" and "Smallville" on disc.

Meaning, if it will sell in bulk in a Wal Mart, Target, and Costco, we'll make it. No problem.

The bottom line is the suits at Warners, and other studios as well, obviously work on a different level of interest than fans. Easy answers are ignored, while safer, more potentially profitable releases are planned (No offense, but how does everything from the Olsen Twins to Saved by the Bell get released, but a critically acclaimed series like Relativity gets passed over, and MSCL has to go through the circles of Hell to see the light of day???). And forget the idea of limited editions (unless you're Ross Rojek) for titles that may not have crossover appeal, eve if it makes sense to you and I.

So, I'm going to be 40 before I can get all of the Batrman Animated series on disc, and that's unacceptable, thank you very much. Give it to Rhino for a full release. Hopefully, I'll be a wee bit younger when the Batman S.E. is unleashed, but I'm not holding my breath for either a release (since they're obviously waiting to tie it in with a fifth film that won't happen) or that will be "special". A commentary and web access does not make a DVD special. Solid content does. Look at "The Matrix Revisted". THAT'S a special, behind the scenes disc. Episode I's "The Beginning" ranks up there as well.

Look, I recognize Warner's good releases of both new and catalog titles. They do make some quality discs, stubborn as they are. but when it comes to their genre titles and their animated series, they're blind to what could be, beyond appealing to kid scene.

But hey - why am I not surprised? It's not just them. Lucas isn't planning to release the Original Trilogy of Star Wars (his "drafts" - arrogance relabeled as art); Disney has a ten year schedule for some of their biggest titles, AND they put titles on moratorium, and then there's full-screen only releases, because statistics tell studios that we don't like those black bars. Not that they asked me, mind you.

So I'll just keep in mind those golden words that cover all the bases; "at this time", and wait until the studios wake up, or Hell freezes like a snow cone. Your milage may vary.

:roll:

[/rant]

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 28th 2003, 11:29 am

Wow, a whole big rant over a dumb little cartoon :wink: :lol:

Eh, you know I am just kidding (plus I can dangle the Newtype Issue 00 in front of ya).

Anyways, it is completely retarded the ways that studios either A- fnck up releases or B- don't release things at all. And it is not just one studio or the few "big" studios, it is every single one. How many crappy releases of Evil Dead/2/Army of Darkness do we need on the shelves? They milk you with every release and they are flawed to boot. The latest Boomstick Edition release seems liek a great release at first, with all the directors cut scenes added back in. Problem is they are VHS masters quality and you can get the Korean MGM release that is all completely remasteredincluding the added in scenes (from a film master)...wha what? I thought it didn't exist Anchor Bay?

HBO takes forever to release on of their highest rated and critically acclaimed series Six Feet Under, granted when they did finally get it out it seems to be a solid release, but the wait was insane. And lets not fully get into how they have said nothing about the rest of the Mr. Show DVDs that still need to be released. Or the Tenacious D episodes that were supposed to be released before the D even got famous (which then seemed to be a definite for the releases) and have yet to come out afaik.

And then there is Twin Peaks. Are they trying to send everyone out to get a region free player?

They will release Sanford and Sons, yet it is like pulling teeth to get some of the real classics out on disc like the Dick Van Dyke Show or Patty Duke. Right now all you can get are dick van dyke best ofs, which I refuse to buy. I am waiting for the DVD on DVD set to come out which is only about as late as MSCL was.... :?

I want my Idiot Box, but MTV acts like it doesnt exist, I finally want my Ben Stiller show (hopefully it wont get pushed back...again), I want Parker Lewis, I want tons of TV shows that I doubt will ever come out...and most of all I want them in seasons not best ofs!

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 29th 2003, 7:39 pm

Wow, a whole big rant over a dumb little cartoon
:evil:
Eh, you know I am just kidding (plus I can dangle the Newtype Issue 00 in front of ya).
EVIL! Thankfully, I'm writing this after lunch... :D

You're correct about one thing; every studio has done this somwhere along the line. It's like they can't figure out what to do with tv on DVD (probably can't).

Pkay, okay - to be fair, some studios have released sets without concern and with great speed. Star Trek series are being released inside of a year. Tough on the wallet, but they're out there. M*A*S*H has come out relativly quickly and I've enjoyed those releases.

But on a whole, it's like they (being the studios) can't even make up their minds sometimes, like whether a show broadcast in widescreen should be released in widescreen (Buffy comes to mind). So does that mean American audiences, who allegedly won't tolerate those pesky black bars when they watch their movies, are okay with it when ER comes on Thursday nights. But when it's on disc, they can't handle the same black bars?

Then I read about decisions that can be classified as nothing but stupid. An X-Files box set has what appears to be a faulty copy of the episode "Triangle" - customers are wondering why the episode looks like a crappy VHS tape. Fox replies that it's supposed to be that way, that Chris Carter signed off on it.

:shock:

Back to the Future is finally released on DVD and several shots are misframed (meaning that there is too much headroom on some of the shots, cutting off hands when they're supposed to be visible). Universal's response was to initiate a replacement program, but when you call to request a mailer for your discs, the operator - and I'm not kidding - recites "The framing difference is unnoticeable to widescreen DVD viewers and does not detract from or interrupt the viewing experience."

So... are we not supposed to request new discs? And why are you telling us this? So I don't demand costs for shipping the discs back?

Honestly, I think DVD is starting to eat itself. Too many releases are coming too quickly and the studios are screwing up left and right (IMO), throwing logic out the window to maximize sales (i.e. Sunrise as a mail-in offer, relentless double dipping by some companies, the over-use of the term "special edition").

I'm fine with the whole "it's a business and they're in it to make money" response, and hell, I don't HAVE to buy a damn thing. But if I'm going to make that investment and pay cash for their swag, it had better be the best they can offer, and I'm not seeing it lately.

Gary

Isabel
Frozen Embryo

Post by Isabel » May 10th 2003, 1:22 pm

hola, in case anyone's interested in voting for a favorite to be put onto dvd (me i'm stuck on relativity and cupid) you can register and vote here:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/
"If you'll give me a smile right now... I'll give you the Whole Damn World!"

bdckr
Jody Barsh

Post by bdckr » May 12th 2003, 4:46 pm

GaryEA wrote:
Back to the Future is finally released on DVD and several shots are misframed (meaning that there is too much headroom on some of the shots, cutting off hands when they're supposed to be visible). Universal's response was to initiate a replacement program, but when you call to request a mailer for your discs, the operator - and I'm not kidding - recites "The framing difference is unnoticeable to widescreen DVD viewers and does not detract from or interrupt the viewing experience."

So... are we not supposed to request new discs? And why are you telling us this? So I don't demand costs for shipping the discs back?

Gary
Just to let you know, I already got my copies of BTTF II and III. I had originally called Universal (Canada), they sent me a couple postage paid envelopes, and I sent the DVDs back (they even said not to bother with jewel cases). They made me wait a few months, including a letter about an extra delay, but they finally arrived a week or two ago and they look great.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » May 12th 2003, 8:24 pm

Isabel,

As a huge Kimberly Williams fan (jeez, I gotta get my site up and running again!), I must applaud you on both your avatar ( :go: ), and your support of Relativity.

I'd be a happy guy if they'd release that show!

bdckr,
Just to let you know, I already got my copies of BTTF II and III. I had originally called Universal (Canada), they sent me a couple postage paid envelopes, and I sent the DVDs back (they even said not to bother with jewel cases). They made me wait a few months, including a letter about an extra delay, but they finally arrived a week or two ago and they look great.
That's great news. I'm glad you finally got your discs. I'm going to wait a little while longer to see if the corrected set reaches the stores. If not, I'll buy and send them in.

Gary