Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Apr 23rd 2003, 9:44 am

At my old house in Evan City (just north of Pittsburgh) I use to have a "something" say "hey" to me from time to time... one time when it happened I turned around (always heard it in the upstairs hallway) and saw someone going down the stairs. I walked back down stairs and asked Tim, one of of my house mates, if he had seen John ( my other house mate who I assumed had said hey and was walking down the steps). Tim said that he heard two people come down the steps but that no one had walked by him... :shock:

I also had a box fan fly out of a window that was about a foot off the floor and end up over 12 feet away with the cord pulled from the wall so hard that the prongs were bent, the screen on the window was fine...

And last but not least I had a girl I was dating staying over. She knew nothing of my previous "encounters" in the house. Anyway she says that she woke up to see a man standing at the end of the bed. She says she tried to wake me up but I wouldn't... and when she turned on the light beside the bed he was gone. She wouldn't stay over after that!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 23rd 2003, 2:03 pm

From TheDigitalBits.com:

We've been getting a lot of complains from fans about Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Complete Fourth Season being in full frame aspect ratio, and not anamorphic widescreen. We contacted Fox, and now we've got official word from series creator Joss Whedon on the issue. Here's what he has to say:

A PERSONAL MESSAGE FROM JOSS WHEDON

Gentle Viewer:

No doubt you are looking over this scrumptious BUFFY package and exclaiming "No @#$%ing letterboxing? Whutzat? GYPPED!" Possibly you are breaking things. Please calm down. The fabulous episodes of BUFFY (and that one crappy one, sorry about that, seemed really cool when we wrote it...) were not shot in a widescreen format. They were shot in the TV 4 by 3 ratio. Now I'm a letterbox fanatic, but not just because I crave th' wide. I want to see the whole screen, as framed by the director. The BUFFY's I (and others) shot were framed for traditional TVs. Adding space to the sides simply for the sake of trying to look more cinematic would betray the very exact mise-en-scene I was trying to create. I am a purist, and this is the purest way to watch BUFFY. I have resisted the effort to letterbox BUFFY from the start and always will, because that is not the show we shot. This is. So enjoy! Stop breaking things. You're getting the best presentation of -- let's face it -- the best Television Drama since MATCHGAME '79. Bye for now!

Sincerely,

Joss Whedon
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 29th 2003, 1:40 pm

New Buffy episode tonight - woo hoo!

Sadly, it is the first of four in a row - meaning it's almost over.

:cry:

Anyone having a finale viewing party?

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 4th 2003, 10:25 pm

An interesting article about language on Buffy:

http://www.scoopme.com/tv/articles/defa ... _id=102744

:D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 5th 2003, 8:27 pm

More on the S4 letterboxing issue!

This was posted at Buffyworld:
Yes they have been shot in widescreen... but they never intended to show the series in letterbox! I think they just just used it to afford some elbowroom for the director to frame the scenes.
All the acting and camera movements are aligned for a 4:3 picture.
Now you´ll see the proof:

I found this german website where the author makes a comparison between the widescreen and tv-shape versions of Buffy to point out, why the Buffy episodes doesn´t benefit from the wider picture.
It´s written in german with english quotations from Joss Whedon and some
pictures.(with more to come)

http://mitglied.lycos.de/petervonigloei ... _vs_ws.htm

I´ll just outline the descritpions of the pictures now.

First two pictures:
You are able to see the sign on the left before you should. Originally, the camera makes a movement to the left and then shows the sign in a closeup.

third:
All actors are in the 4:3 area... there´s only dead space on the sides.

fourth:
Traditional TV-shape shows only Buffy and Giles, that´s what you should see.
Letterbox shows half of Willow´s shoulder, too... not very stylistic.

fifth:
only dead space

sixth:
ditto!

seventh:
Half a Willow to the right...no director would do such a thing.

eighth:
The same with Buffy to the left

ninth:
All the fight´s set in the 4:3 area, additionally there´s a camera on the
left.

last two pictures:
Joss said in the audio commentary that they made the paramedic that big and left Buffy no space in the frame to show her helplessness... well, Buffy has a lot of free room in the letterbox picture.
You can look at the pictures and see the way it was shot in widescreen versus the way it was aired in fullscreen.

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » May 7th 2003, 9:16 pm

Talk about limping to the finish line. Lets hope for a good finale (I've given up on great).

Joss wrote the ender. Fix it Joss! Please?!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 8th 2003, 1:48 am

I read what was purported to be the final script a few weeks ago and I was extremely disappointed. I was hoping that it was a fake script that Joss deliberately leaked to throw fans off track. Unfortunately, I have recently seen pictures from the final episode posted that seem to comfirm the script. I am afraid that when the episode finally airs, I will be crying - from disappointment. Joss, the man who gave us a season finale with Buffy jumping off Glory's crazy metal thing, is about to deal us a sub-par series finale that will not fulfill our expectations. I really really REALLY hope that I'm wrong though.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 14th 2003, 12:28 am

It's looking more and more like the leaked script is the real deal - some of the snippets from the preview for the finale were the same.

Has anyone else looked at the outrageous prices at the buffy auction? Wow.

Sadly, no "Kiss the Librarian" mug, but Buffy's teddy bear is already up to $600 with five days left.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 14th 2003, 2:52 am

A&E Biography is airing a two hour special on BtVS tonight at 8pm. Check your local listings and set those VCRs! (I know you can't miss the Dawson's Creek series finale which will be airing at the same time :wink: )

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » May 14th 2003, 9:48 am

candygirl wrote:A&E Biography is airing a two hour special on BtVS tonight at 8pm. Check your local listings and set those VCRs! (I know you can't miss the Dawson's Creek series finale which will be airing at the same time :wink: )
Candygirl,

Sorry to hear that the finale appears to be heading toward disappointment.
Thanks for the A&E info.

Best,

Lance Man

JPP13
Angela's best friend

Post by JPP13 » May 15th 2003, 6:57 pm

Candy, I too noticed the outlandish auction prices. I eagerly checked it out Tuesday night, thinking I may be interested in bidding. Then I saw the prices...

Ok, I have to admit I liked the last episode. yes, there were some glaring logical inconsistencies (a hallmark of the past year), but I'm cheap and easy. A brief appearance of Angel, and everythign seems good in the world. I'm totally unspoiled for the finale and will remain so. If it ends with Spuffy together I'm jumping off the roof. I'm worried about the Buffy/Angel kiss being misdirection.

My hope for a Buffy/Xander ending seems doubtful, not enough time. Or a Willow/Xander. Oh well. Here's hoping Joss gives the show an ending its due. If not, well, in my mind the season ended with "She Saved the World. A Lot".

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 19th 2003, 1:39 am

I admit it - I keep going back to the buffy auction (1) to see how much people are willing to pay for this stuff and (2) because they keep adding more items.

Holy crap, they are selling the Vamp Willow outfit! And Spike's outfit from when he fought Nikki! If I only had a couple thousand dollars to spare...

I think the person they put in charge of listing the items is really tired because some of the listings are incorrect (as far as I know, there wasn't any episode 16 in season 1, but supposedly that is when Buffy wore all three cross necklaces that are up for auction, plus they keep listing Vi's clothes as Felicia's - I guess her real name will entice buyers!).

I hope that they are donating some other props/costumes to someone who will take good care of them - maybe the Museum of Television and Radio or the Smithsonian?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » May 20th 2003, 11:26 am

An interesting article on Buffy in Salon can be found here.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » May 20th 2003, 1:25 pm

Candygirl wrote:Holy crap, they are selling the Vamp Willow outfit...If I only had a couple thousand dollars to spare...
Anyone else hit with the sudden picture of Candygirl in the evil Willow attire saying "Bored Now!"? :shock:

Lance I think your right, the avatar image is effecting her in stange ways...
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » May 20th 2003, 2:03 pm

:lilangel:

:theangel:

:angelwings:

:angel:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

This is probably not the time to mention that I already have pants like that but without pockets?

:wink: