Who Served?

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Who Served?

Post by lance » Apr 18th 2003, 9:57 am

Hey all,

Another new idea, another new thread. Although techical this thread could evolve into a political discussion I am not intending (famous last words) for this to happen that's why I placed it here.

So who among us (yourself, family, or friends) have served in the military? My understanding is that in some countries military service is compulsory. Of course here in the States we have not had a draft since 1975?

I will start.

No, I didn't serve. Really just wasn't interested. I have tremendous respect for those who did and I actively support the Disabled American Veterans.

Both my grandfathers served in World II in the Pacific. Several grand uncles served. My dad, and couple of uncles served in the Army. Dad was an Air Defense Artillery officer and was stationed in Germany. Dad did undergo winter Ranger training.

My brother Paul served '97-2000 as a Tank Officer and was stationed in Bosnia. Despite incessant ribbing from my father, Paul did not take winter Ranger training. My half brother is currently trying to go Air Force ROTC.

On my wife's side of the family her late Grandfather worked as a civilian scientist with Van Braun in World War II working with rockets. He later worked for the French government before being brought over to the US as part of Operation Paperclip to work for NASA. Her dad served in the Navy. One of her cousins is currently a marine. He was stationed in Kabul after the War and is currently in Japan.

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 18th 2003, 2:03 pm

My dad was a Marine during Vietnam, but was stationed domestically. Lucky for me!

My Pop Pop (my dad's dad) was in the Navy during WWII. He has some very interesting stories.

My other grandfather was a Merchant Marine in WWII.

My husband's uncle was in the Army.

My husband's Pop was a lifer in the Army. He served in WWII, Vietnam, and Korea, I believe. He was stationed all over the world.

He met his wife in Belgium during WWII. She was a telephone operator for the Nazis. She had no choice, they made her work for them. He had a buddy go up and ask her out for him, and they fell in love. He told her before he left for the States, that he would be back for her. And a few months later he showed up at her parent's door and married her and brought her back to America. Such a sweet love story.

It's funny, b/c the town he grew up in was classic Hicksville (think inbred), and the house he moved her into had no outdoor plumbing. Poor Nan. She spoke 5 languages. She was a wonderful lady. :cry:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 18th 2003, 2:08 pm

Oh! Forgot to mention that neither me nor my husband has served. My husband wanted to shortly after 9/11 and he almost enlisted, but I was against it for my own selfish reasons. I don't want to lose him, and I don't think that I would do too well as an Army wife.

My husband's cousin's husband is in the Army and studying to be a doctor. He is just finishing up his rotations now.

My husband also has some cousins in the Army.

My ex-brother-in-law (he was married and subsequently divorced to my husband's sister) was in the Army.

Neither of our siblings have enlisted.

I have nothing but the upmost respect and honor for those brave people serving in our military. I owe them my life and my freedom.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 20th 2003, 10:01 pm

I did not serve in the armed forces. I considered joining the service many times before and after I went to college. I went so far as to take the military exam a second time. (We had to take it once in high school.) My oldest brother warned me off of joining the Marines when I was in high school. He was a Marine. He helped put me through college. After college, I looked into joining the Navy and Army. I didn't pursue either option past meeting a recruiter. I finally started to land some decent jobs, so I opted not to join. Sometimes, I regret not joining for at least one hitch. I think I would have been forced to get my act together a lot sooner. My mom, dad, and second oldest brother were all in the Army. My oldest brother served 20 years in the Marines.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 21st 2003, 8:49 am

Why were you warned not to serve in the Marines, TomSpeed?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 21st 2003, 9:18 am

Megs wrote:Why were you warned not to serve in the Marines, TomSpeed?
I guess that based on his experience in the Marines my brother thought it wasn't for me. The main thing he mentioned was that it would better to be an officer in the Army or Navy than the Marine Corps. He was enlisted, but he noticed that junior officers in the Marines were not treated that much different from enlisted people.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Apr 23rd 2003, 6:23 am

Interesting thread...

I've never served, Mr. S. has never served.

My uncle had all the GI training and was about to go off to Korea I think, but then the war stopped so he never went. I think he stayed in the army for a bit.

My dad was drafted to Vietnam but there's a long story there revolving around contientious objection (he's a Reverend now). He never served.

Most of the older generation in my family (dad's side) were clergy and never served. I'm not sure about my Mum's side but I don't think anybody did, apart from one cousin of hers who went to Vietnam. He came back in one piece physically but was mentally scarred for life.

I really respect all the people with the sheer bravery, guts and determination to serve in the army and defend us against various threats. Particularly in WWII where there was a very real danger that this country would fall to the Nazis.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 23rd 2003, 1:08 pm

Wow,

Some great stories, thanks all.

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 23rd 2003, 1:37 pm

Nope. Never in the military. Surprised? :)

Few people in my family in 'nam, wwii, korean, and more i'm sure.