Did anyone else find Rickie annoying?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
tigerlilly711
Nicky Driscoll

Did anyone else find Rickie annoying?

Post by tigerlilly711 » Mar 27th 2003, 3:56 pm

I know I am being really mean hear and everyone was suppose to really love Rickie but he really annoyed me sometimes. He could never just live his own life he had to latch on to everyone else's. I also think he had a thing for Jordan by the way he always knew where he was. It seemed like everyone in the show was trying to vicariously live through Angela even though she thought her life was boring. Anyway Rickie just sometimes got on my nerves.

ducksqueak
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by ducksqueak » Mar 27th 2003, 11:23 pm

Rickie did have a thing for Jordan. Don't you remember when he told Angela that he loves the way Jordan leans? No one pays that much attention to someone else unless they are interested. The whole thing about Rickie liking Jordan is also alluded to in the first few episodes before Angela get together and maybe early on into their relationship.
"Gee, you're beautiful when you're unconscious."
---Link in "Hairspray"

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 28th 2003, 1:42 pm

I don't think Rickie is more annoying than anyone else on the show. Everyone can be annoying at one time or another. Rickie might seem more annoying because he doesn't fit in as well as the others. His development is on a separate path that sets him apart.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

inhirnamy

Post by inhirnamy » Mar 31st 2003, 5:52 pm

I loved Rickie, he was one of my favs. I thought his personality was cute :wink: and touching :cry: . He was a good friend with alot of insight.

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 2nd 2003, 3:57 pm

i really like Rickie, he is not one of my favourite character (i'm a Graham's fan :oops: ), but i appreciate him.One of the good thing about him is his crush on Jordan, it give a real dimension to him.And i really appreciate his evolution too, when he's homeless, his relationship with mr Katimski...as inhirnamy i find him so cute and touching...some kind of "purity" or something like that...

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » Apr 12th 2003, 4:44 am

nooo lol, i love rickie. actually well i didn't know this guy back when i first started watching mscl, but i knew him later and when watching reruns i had taped from mtv, and now that i have recently recieved my dvds i was like OMG it's jeremy! lol. but yes my friend (and ex bf honestly) is bi too and just he reminds me a lot like rickie they have a lot of the same qualities, but rickie is a nicer person lol. but anyway in general, the charachters would not be so believeable if they weren't ever annoying. i mean everyone is annoying sometimes. and i mean it's like brian krakow. he is annoying as hell, but in the same sense, you *have* to love brian. i dunno i never make sense, so forget me its not like i know what i'm talking about or anything so whatever. just my manic ramblings.
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Apr 12th 2003, 5:47 pm

Another pro-Rickie vote here. I think the annoying characteristics Rickie had were consistent with his strengths, being that he loved his friends and cared for them so much that he couldn't bring himself to stand up to them on some occasions. I really related to that, being a hanger-on, being somewhat spineless, too eager to please, but all out of a genuine goodness. And who in high school could not relate to the terrorizing fear of being an outsider, as well as the sexual confusion. I spent years trying to figure out whether I fit into the straight, gay, or bi category, and somedays I'm still not sure.

Meg

Cami A.
Catalano

Re: Did anyone else find Rickie annoying?

Post by Cami A. » Aug 5th 2008, 5:23 am

RICKIE=BEST CHARACTER EVER.
It can't even be explained.
He's just awesome.
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

majesty
Three Rivers Resident

Post by majesty » Aug 5th 2008, 7:39 am

I love Rickie.

Cami A.
Catalano

Post by Cami A. » Aug 5th 2008, 7:57 am

Seriously!
I would marry Rickie...ya know, if he wasn't gay.
Hell, I'd still marry him! So adorable! He's the most
unselfish, caring gentlemen. He never asks anything
of anyone. Maybe a bit too selfless?
"So, the mouse makes pressure, just by breathing?...I can relate."

4alifetime
Liberty High Student

Post by 4alifetime » Jul 16th 2009, 1:14 pm

I would marry him too if he wasn't gay! LOL! He was one of my faves.

I can't agree that Rickie was annoying on any level either. He was, for me, the friend you always wanted in high school or were lucky enough to have- gay or straight.

I didn't see him as needy, in fact, the opposite. Remember when those guys in the parking lot of Lets Bolt wanted to take Angela and Rayanne somewhere and Rickie just says "I don't mind..." Awwwwww, that always broke my heart a little. Not to metion things like when he left Angela's house and lied about having somewhere to go....and look how long it took him to finaly reach out to Mr. Katimsky, that's not latching on that's surviving!!!! I could go on and on here with examples but I won't.
There's so many different ways to be connected to people.
There are the people you feel this unspoken connection to,
even though there's not even a word for it.
There's the people who you've known forever, who know you in
this way that other people can't, because they've seen you
change...

they've let you change.