Music Cues for 10 Years Later Project

Discussion and questions about the FanFiction section of MSCL.com. You can also post excerpts of your unfinished stories here if you're looking for feedback or ideas.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Music Cues for 10 Years Later Project

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 27th 2003, 11:52 pm

I'm going to title each part and put in music cues later on in the project. I wish I could say my knowledge of music would allow me to write scenes around songs, but I'm still mostly stuck in the 70s and 80s. So, I'm going to need to find songs to fit the scenes. I have some ideas, but I'm open to suggestions. The years the main parts of the story takes place are 1995, 1997, and 2007. Yea, I know 2007 is awhile away. But classic songs would fit any year. Also, if you can make a good guess as to how old young Angela and Brian are when they are on the swings in the park, music cue suggestions are welcome for that scene, too. Of course, I'm probably going to make some changes, but I really like how the story is turning out so far.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 1st 2003, 12:58 pm

I've thought about the subject of music some more. I really like W. G. Snuffy Walden's music. I think it would fit really well throughout my story. Plus, I don't have the time to research and plan the usuage of songs. So, I'm going to table song selection for now.

While discussing the making of Almost Famous, Cameron Crowe describes how he picks music for his movies. One of the things he does it to tape songs that mean something to him each year. He has a catalogue going back many years. In some ways, I wish I had done the same.

Hopefully, the lack of specific music cues doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the story.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 11th 2003, 9:22 pm

I'm going to try to choose a song for Brian and Angela this weekend. Most couples have a song that they call their own. Choosing one song will be hard. But I think they need one. It has to be meaningful and have a dance beat. And it needs to be a slow song. Plus, it should be timeless. I have a vision of them going out on dancefloors from time to time. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up with a few to choose from. Do I make my life hard or what?
TomSpeed

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Apr 11th 2003, 10:53 pm

A couple of suggestions:
My song with my husband is "your song" by Elton John. I think that qualifies as timeless. We also have a back-up song that's kind of a joke: "Total Eclipse of the Heart." Angela and Brian are probably too young for that one. It's so overly dramatic, and there's a techno version!

Oh, I know - that song by Ben Folds - I don't know the name, but it's probably something like "the luckiest" because the chorus goes "I am the luckiest." It's so beautiful, it brings tears to my eyes.... :cry:

Okay, it's your story, your genius! :wink:

Meg

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 12th 2003, 11:36 am

I'm not really sure if I would call these songs timeless but "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins from Siamese Dream, 1993, "All I Want is You" by U2 from Rattle and Hum, 1998, and "Crystal" by Fleetwood Mac from Fleetwood Mac, 1975, have come to mind. I think "Today" fits pretty well because Angela mentions that the Smashing Pumpkins is one her favorite bands in "Father Figures." Hmmm...We'll see.

My last girl friend and I had a Meat Loaf combo for our songs -- "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" and "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" from Bat Out of Hell, 1977. I'm not really sure why they were our songs. Maybe we just liked them. They are pretty romantic and powerful though.
TomSpeed

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » Apr 14th 2003, 7:19 am

ok, now i have some major respect for you! the smashing pumpkins "today" what an excellent choice. SP is one of my MAJOR fave bands too, and that song would fit in a lot of instances. Yay, I just HAD to comment on the mention of SP, I love them. I never got to see them live BUT I did get to go see Zwan like a month ago or so which is Billy Corgans new band, It was awesome. And my life is now complete. lol I have seen Billy Corgan live and I can now die in peace.
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 15th 2003, 12:01 am

Since you're going with timeless, there were some good suggestions in the custom soundtrack thread (double dipping threads!).

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?