Cars

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Apr 8th 2003, 3:26 pm

My First Car: 1989 Volkswagen Cabriolet

My Current Car: 1990 Madza Miata (Only drive it when I'm Texas, in Iowa I'm car less)

My Dream Sports Car: A porsche convertible of some sort

My Dream Sensible Car: Volkswagen Jetta or Subaru or Volvo SUV

Hopefully when I graduate grad school in 2 years I will be able to afford one of my dream sensible cars, well maybe at least after I pay off my school loans.

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 8th 2003, 6:23 pm

My first car was a '87 Ford Taurus Station Wagon. A hand me down from my mom. It did have AC and Cruise, and was really comfortable to drive, however looked like a big red jellybean. Not the kind of car that my friends wanted to cruise around in, but every time we went on a road trip, guess who's car they wanted to take. I had some fun with it though. I named it the "Shag'n Wagon", and had a sticker made that said just that in metallic silver letter across the bumper, I got a lot of laughs at stop lights. I covered the rear windows in stickers, turned all the interior lights red, and added a few additional ones, I had switches everywhere. I put in a nice sound system, including a 12" sub. Those old station wagons had a third seat that folded up from the floor and faced backwards and your feet sat in the hole where a full size spair would go. I removed the seat and built the sub into the hole for the spare, the amp was displayed where the seat's back rest used to be. The whole thing was carpeted to match the interior, it was a really nice custom install. And to top it off it had a light that lit up when the sub hit. All my friends loved that car, and everyone in my college dorm new by name from all our camping parties.
When I was a sophomore in college I sold it and got a '96 black Toyota Tacoma extended cab 4x4 that I still drive now. I love my truck and consider it a big improvement, but I was surprised how many people were mad that I sold the Shag’n Wagon, guess the car just had a personality of it’s own.
I think my dream car would be a GMC half-ton pickup or maybe a Tahoe, and a 2003 Nissan Z or an Audi TT if I can have two.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 8th 2003, 11:31 pm

My first car was a 1985 Chevy Cavalier. You know that Adam Sandler song "Piece of Sh!t Car"? We used to sing that about my car. Since I was one of the only people in my group of friends who had a car my freshman dorm in college, we drove that piece of crap everywhere. I remember when we drove to Las Vegas and laughed about how the speedometer only went to 70 because the thing wouldn't go any faster, even if it was being towed downhill. It broke down constantly and I put a lot of money into upkeep. There was an entire school year period when I had to take the bus to school every single day because my piece of sh!t car was being fixed. The heat didn't work, the A/C was non-existent, the stereo was stolen - the only good thing left in the car was the cruise control and we could never figure out why this crappy car even HAD cruise control.

This leads us to my present car - I bought a 95 Honda Civic. The other piece o'crap was on its last legs and I finally gave up. I bought my Civic on my own - no cosigner, nothing, so I was very proud of myself. I made sure to get a sunroof too!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

cars

Post by lance » Apr 9th 2003, 12:21 pm

More thoughts on cars,

Currently I am driving a Toyota Echo. Not much pickup but great gas mileage and you can park it anywhere.

I think eventually I will go to a hybrid car.

Best,

Lance Man

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Apr 13th 2003, 2:33 pm

My car is a 1979 Chevy Caprice. It has NO radio, NO a/c, 3 hubcaps and NO muffler. (Well, I kinda rigged up a partial muffler.) The lack of a/c can be a real b**ch in the hot weather and no radio sucks, but I really do think my hearing will be better off in the long run since I am prone to blast the stereo and my family is predisposed to hearing loss. It is cheap to maintain since it is pretty easy to work on. In the last 5 years I have replaced about everything but the engine. At least I can do most of it myself. It is a big barge of a vehicle with lots of metal so I feel safer than in a small car. Lousy gas mileage though. All in all it is cheaper than a new car with payments and financing etc. For the record the newest car I ever owned was 7 years old when I bought it. It was a Volkswagon Golf with 145,000 miles on it. Ahhh; the blessings of poverty.

My dream car would be an Acura NSX. The new Nissan 350Z is pretty sweet too.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 14th 2003, 4:46 pm

Wow, everyone has such great car stories! Thanks for sharing. BTW, I'm getting my car in just eleven days!!!!

My first car (well, my parents' car that I drove most of the time) was a white with red interior Chevy Corsica, aka, the "Gramma Car." It was my grandmother's old car and she gave it to us because she thought it was too dangerous and unreliable. Thanks Gramma. Anyway, it was an automatic, had two hubcaps, no tape/CD - just radio, and the AC died after one summer. One of the things I hated most about that car was that the windshield wipers didn't work. If you turned them on and then off again really fast, wanting just one wipe for the morning dew or whatever, it would go for at least one and a half minutes. You felt like an idiot driving around with your wipers going when it wasn't raining. My brother took it when I moved to college and he put a $200 CD player in it four months ago, then hit a deer with it a few weeks ago and killed it (the car, I don't know about the deer. I mentioned this in an earlier post.)

My dream car...hmm. I don't even know. Maybe I don't have one? I don't really care very much about cars, just so long as it's reliable and has AT LEAST a tape player! I couldn't handle only radio again ever.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Apr 18th 2003, 5:26 pm

I've only been driving for about 3 years, but I've driven many cars. I practised with my mom's 95 Ford Taurus (hated it), then when I got my liscense, I drove my mom's 85 Grand-Am (also hated it). And when I got my liscense, the place where I worked started giving me deliveries to make in an 88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser wagon that I would end up driving for nearly 2 and a half years and I loved it because it had a tape player (I can't listen to the radio) and it was really comfortable and drove so smoothly, but it had over 300k miles on it and eventually it had to be retired.

I sold my 85 Grand AM to my dad and boguth an 88 Cutlass Supreme and that the first car I technically owned, but it was just a beginner car. In October o l;ast year, I sld that car to my dad and bought a black 2000 Nissan Maxima SE with 40k miles which has been great so far and I don't envision selling in the near future. Also I'm currently driving a 2003 Astro Van at work.

My dream car? I don't much care for flashy Posrches and BMWs. I guess my favorite car would be a Camaro, and they stopped making those.
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)