Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
ikklewicca
Frozen Embryo

Post by ikklewicca » Apr 6th 2003, 5:39 pm

hey ppl how u all doin, MSCL first aired when i was about 8 or 9 and altho i aint seen any eps for about 5 years i saw or read summit online yesterday which got me thinkin about it again and as i stumbled on this site at about 12:00 this afternoon and have been on it since. after seein everything on here i was suprised at how much i remebered. its such a kool show and must of left a bloody big impression on me that i still remember it all

peace, love jodi xxx

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 6th 2003, 6:34 pm

Welcome to the forum Jodi.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

brewer
Tino

Post by brewer » Apr 8th 2003, 8:12 am

So here I am, another newbie who decided to de-cloak himself. First of all I would like to say that english is not my native language, so excuse if it is not perfect, but I hope I won't make any major grammatical errors.

So, where to start? First time I saw MSCL was when I was 16 yrs old, but it was as I haven't seen it, because at that time I hated all kinds of TV series aimed at teenagers (to be honest I still do). Everyone were looking Beverly Hills 90210 which was popular for some time, but I hated it, because it was so unreal and polished. So, when I saw MSCL, I thought: "Oh my, yet another teenage TV show", and saw a few minutes of it and left it behind. What a mistake. Anyway, I almost completely forgot about it. Anyway, some 6-7 months ago I was watching TV late at night, and stumbled across MSCL, episode #3, Guns and Gossip. So, I having nothing important to watch, started watching it. And, whoa, what a good show, I fell in love with it the same moment. I couldn't wait for next episode. In between, I remebered: "Hey,wasn't that those TV series that was showing when I was younger". And I said to myself: "No, it wasn't, that was some stupid teen TV series, but this is brilliant". Anyway, while watching the next episode, I realized that it was the same show, so I was a little bit confused. My confusion was even bigger when I realized that characters are 15 yrs old. "No way", I thought to myself, "How come, when they are acting as though they are having at least 20". So, I was confused a little bit more, here I am, 23 yrs old, enjoying a TV series aimed at teenagers. Hey, what's going on? But I couldn't wait for a next episodes, and 7 days of a week between episodes seemed to me like months. So, after a few episodes I typed in a search engine "my so-called life" and found this website, and I was thrilled with a lot of information that I found here, and especially with the fact that most of the people active in this community are 20+, even 30+ yrs old. So, I am not alone, yeessss!!!!

So, why I loved this show. First of all, it was so real, showing all the pain and all the pleasure of life. Second, for the first time in my life there were characters or at least some of the characters in some TV series I could relate to, I could understand, because they were like me in some cases. And, in the end, and IMHO the most important it had a brilliant story, brilliant actors, and most important of all it was brilliantly directed. The first TV show of this kind where I found the touch of art. I watch a lot of films and I am considered a filmophile among my friends, so it was amazing to found such a beautiful TV series.

Anyway, here I am, after watching the TV series only once (actually, I missed first two episodes, damn) and being a great fan of it. After being regular visitor at this site and seeing how this community works well, I finally decided to join this forum, and started posting.

A few words about me. I am student of computer science, I like too much chocolate and beer (well, it is obvious from my nickname). Actually I don't drink a lot of beer, but tend to drink a good beer, which is quite hard when you live in a country without beer tradition, anyway, beer is my passion, and I collect everything related to beer (labels, cans, caps, articles, books, etc.). I listen to a way too much music, and I simply can't imagine my life without music, and I almost forgot, my favourite disco song is "Good Times" by Chic, although I don't like disco too much, because it is simplification of funk, and I really love funk.

So, that would be it, I guess. When I start sometimes I simply can't stop, so here it is. STOP. But I'll try to post the more often I can.

So, Hello from me to everybody active at this forums...
"I'd really rather not talk about my music. If the music doesn't speak for itself, no words can help it."
John Coltrane (1926-1967)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

welcome

Post by lance » Apr 8th 2003, 9:09 am

Welcome to the forum,

Brewer and Jodi

Glad to have you here. Brewer I liked your story about not being an immediate convert to MSCL. Being the stubborn, set in my ways kinda of guy I too have initially resisted the allure of new shows. I resisted the allure of Homicide: Life on the Street, Robotech and Buffy the Vampire Slayer for quite sometime. When I finally got around to sitting down and watching them it was like, "Wow this show is great why the heck didn't I watch it earlier."

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 8th 2003, 9:12 am

Welcome, Jodi and Brewer. Always great to get a new and fresh perspective on the show and life. I look forward to reading your posts!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 8th 2003, 1:17 pm

Welcome Brewer!

:D

There's nothing wrong with liking the show after you ignored it - better late than never!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

de-lurk..

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Apr 10th 2003, 3:30 pm

k, i've been posting sporadically in many of the different forums, but i guess i should properly introduce myself on this thread since i've read the forums so much i feel like i know all you guys already.

i started watching mscl on abc, i think the only episode i missed was the pilot. admittedly the way i found out about the show was i saw the advertisement in people magazine (the one with claire with her back to the lockers and jared leto leaning over her with the caption "every time he's nearby my entire body knows it") and thought that jared leto was really hot :oops:

i was 15 at the time and have been totally addicted since. i taped several episodes (including self esteem which is a fave since i'm a hopeless romantic) and have been living off those until the dvds came out.

i stumbled across this site a few years back and signed the dvd petition, but i didn't see the forum and only started visiting last year to get updates to find out what the hell AU was up to....i guess i could thank AU for helping me find a community of insightful ppl who share the mscl love! Candygirl, i should thank you, i'm really enjoying your episode threads, i miss analyzing books and finding symbolizm etc that i did in english in high school.

about myself...i'm 25 now. i live in vancouver canada and work as a financial analyst. i'm newly married and have admittedly plagiarized mscl quotes in my relationship. my husband flipped when i sat him down to watch mscl and he saw camille's remark about arguing being a sign there's passion involved and hallie saying that jealousy is a show of being considerate. :lol:

um, other than that...i love to travel, play sports, and other favourite shows include buffy, gilmore girls, alias, will and grace, and friends (sorry fnordboy, i think it's so funny!)...

oh and go canucks go!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: de-lurk..

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 10th 2003, 3:55 pm

hurtstolookatyou wrote:i'm newly married and have admittedly plagiarized mscl quotes in my relationship. my husband flipped when i sat him down to watch mscl and he saw camille's remark about arguing being a sign there's passion involved and hallie saying that jealousy is a show of being considerate. :lol:
I like to think of it as quoting without quotation marks than plagiarism :wink:

Besides, I'm just trying to educate other people about MSCL by repeating what the characters say!

hurtstolookatyou
Overlooked Sibling

Re: de-lurk..

Post by hurtstolookatyou » Apr 10th 2003, 4:18 pm

I like to think of it as quoting without quotation marks than plagiarism :wink:

Besides, I'm just trying to educate other people about MSCL by repeating what the characters say!

heehee, i've also used rickie's line "could you pick a sentence and like go with it?"

unfortunately no one ever gets the joke but me :?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 10th 2003, 4:52 pm

That reminds me of "Threesome" when Eddy says, "The world was divided into two group: those who got the joke and those who didn't. No one else got the joke."

:D

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 10th 2003, 5:22 pm

Welcome hurtstolookatyou
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

meggrrrl
Three Rivers Resident

Post by meggrrrl » Apr 10th 2003, 9:07 pm

heehee, i've also used rickie's line "could you pick a sentence and like go with it?"

unfortunately no one ever gets the joke but me
Hee hee. My brothers and I used whenever possible "Because I live in the world." I should start using that one again!

Meg

lithiumkat
Three Rivers Resident

Post by lithiumkat » Apr 12th 2003, 5:14 am

well i'm a dumbass...i didnt realize until just now that i was supposed to introduce myself here. well here i am. uhh i suck at intros but anyway my name is sarah, i'm 19 lol i feel like a child of the bunch seems like most of you are older than me but i LOVE mscl in an indescribable way. i deliver pizza for dominos, and uhh i like carebears and the sims. there a few random things about me. if you wanna know more ask, email, pm, im or just check my site. kthanxbye
"people always say how you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing...like a toaster or something, like you can know what it is even."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 12th 2003, 11:13 am

lithiumkat wrote:well i'm a dumbass...i didnt realize until just now that i was supposed to introduce myself here. well here i am. uhh i suck at intros but anyway my name is sarah, i'm 19 lol i feel like a child of the bunch seems like most of you are older than me but i LOVE mscl in an indescribable way. i deliver pizza for dominos, and uhh i like carebears and the sims. there a few random things about me. if you wanna know more ask, email, pm, im or just check my site. kthanxbye
Welcome to the forum lithiumkat.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Apr 13th 2003, 2:14 pm

Yeah welcome all newbies. Lithiumkat; you're from Missouri? Cool! MO is representin' in the forum! :wink: And Hurtstolookatyou you have been a fan for like 10 years now? That's a serious fan.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man