The Breakfast Club

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 31st 2003, 1:16 pm

mental wrote:
candygirl wrote:Nope, it's true - the Breakfast Club is being re-released on DVD. I believe it was originally released in 1998 without any bonus material. The new version has "production notes" but I have no idea what that really means. We'll find out on Tuesday!

:D
In the other DVDs that I have, production notes are basically just short movie bios of the actors/directors. So, it'll have a list of some major movies that Judd Nelson et al. have been in....that's about it. No video, just a still "page" with this info on the screen.
Exactly, for all intents and purposes this DVD is a bare bones release. Eventually they will make you double dip when they release a SE.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 31st 2003, 2:07 pm

I hate it when the media moguls stick it to us by making us double dip. Of course, we want BC on DVD right now. But if enough copies are sold now a Special Edition will be released 6 months from now. A SE would be great with cast interviews, director's commentary, etc. BC deserves a SE. Maybe I'll wait awhile for the SE to be released.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 31st 2003, 2:31 pm

Clarence Worley reported the following in the Star Wars thread:
Universal were planning on releasing Weird Science, The Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles as new Special Edition titles in April. But for some unknown reason, they've postponed them until further notice. All I know is, John Hughes recorded commentaries for all 3 movies in early 2002.
Don't know why they aren't including the John Hughes commentaries on this release of the Breakfast Club - damn them!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 31st 2003, 3:38 pm

candygirl wrote: Don't know why they aren't including the John Hughes commentaries on this release of the Breakfast Club - damn them!
Yeah this has been talked about for months on other boards, it isn't anything new. My feeling is they will be releasing a box set at somepoint of either 80s movies, or just John Hughes movies. Atleast I hope they do :)

Don't try to understand the studios. You never will. :?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 31st 2003, 3:50 pm

I like to sound tough. But I want BC NOW :!: I don't have it on tape. I tried to watch it on TV, but taking out the curse words does the movie no justice. I boycott it on broadcast TV. It's part of an evil plot to give us a taste of something to get us hungry for more. We end up buying the movie twice. The moguls laugh all the way to the bank.

They did the same thing with Jerry Maguire. This is one of my favorite movies, but the DVD was expensive and sans extras. I heard that a SE would be coming out in a few months. So, I waited. The SE cost less than the original DVD and it was packed with extras. Can I hold out for a BC SE? How long will I have to wait?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 31st 2003, 4:04 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I like to sound tough. But I want BC NOW :!: I don't have it on tape. I tried to watch it on TV, but taking out the curse words does the movie no justice. I boycott it on broadcast TV.
I view the Breakfast Club on tv as an amusing alternate version that is unintentionally funny because of the editing. I mean seriously, how hilarious is it when Brian yells, "FORGET YOU CLAIRE!"? My friends and I still crack up over that.

My ultimate all time favorite tv edit comes from Weird Science - "But first I'd like to butter your muffin" became "But first I'd like to better know you muffin." I give them extra points for trying to come up with a line that mimicked the phonetics of the original (although I do think it's funny when they completely give up and throw in something like "bonehead" for "dildo").

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 31st 2003, 4:05 pm

TomSpeed wrote:They did the same thing with Jerry Maguire. This is one of my favorite movies, but the DVD was expensive and sans extras. I heard that a SE would be coming out in a few months. So, I waited. The SE cost less than the original DVD and it was packed with extras. Can I hold out for a BC SE? How long will I have to wait?
They did the exact same thing with Good Will Hunting too! They still sell the original crap version at a higher price than the new version with the extras. Genius, I tell you.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 31st 2003, 4:56 pm

Yeah, after checking various websites I'm not so sure anymore whether Universal will really re-release BC tomorrow. It looks like the listing at amazon.com and other retailers is wrong.

I found a news item at DVDFile from February which mentions that the Special Edition John Hughes boxset has been postponed "until further notice". ( http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-vid ... 02_13.html ) and the only BF DVD edition listed at http://homevideo.universalstudios.com is the old one from 1998. I don't think that this '98 edition gets re-released tomorrow - that would make no sense.

Let's hope for a Special Editon Boxset later this year.

dTheater
Liberty High Graduate

Post by dTheater » Apr 2nd 2003, 11:49 pm

I made a reply in my post earlier, but only the quote showed up for some reason.

ANyway, the original BC DVD has production notes too, but the words are so tiny, you need a microscope to read it.

So they're re-issuing a $20 DVD that has exactly the same things as a DVD you could get for 10 bucks in any DVD bargain bin? WIth the possible exception of a batter transfer which 1% of people actially notice?

"Who are the ad wizards that came up with this one?"
- Jim

Kaytee Bodle: Girl With Guitar
http://girlwithguitar.0catch.com (audio, video, tabs, lyrics, etc.)

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 3rd 2003, 12:50 am

dTheater wrote:"Who are the ad wizards that came up with this one?"
My friend's explanation for crap like this: "It's all about the marketing!"

doodles444s
Overlooked Sibling

Post by doodles444s » Apr 8th 2003, 1:56 am

A few quotes I always like :D

Bender-
"You won't accept a guys tongue in your mouth and you're gonna eat that?"
"Oh, are you medically frigid or is it psychological?"
"But face it, you're a Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie!"
"So it's sorta social...demented and sad, but social. Right?"
"You keep eating your hand and you're not gonna be hungry for lunch."

Allison
"Well, if you say you haven't, you're a prude. If you say you have, you're a slut! It's a trap. You want to but you can't but when you do you wish you didn't, right? "
"You wanna know what I did to get in here? Nothing. I didn't have anything better to do."
"I never did it either, I'm not a nymphomaniac. I'm a compulsive liar. "

Andrew
"No I don't wear tights, I wear the required uniform. "
"Just me, just you and me. Two hits. Me hitting you, you hitting the floor! Anytime you're ready, pal!"

Brian
"You know the school comes equipped with fire exits at either end of the library. "
"That's seven including the one when we first came in and you asked Mr. Vernon here whether Barry Manilow knew that he raided his closet."
(Explaining why he needs a fake ID)" So I can vote! "

Claire
"So...academic clubs aren't the same as other kinds of clubs."
"I can't believe you, you're so weird. You don't say anything all day and then when you open your mouth...you unload all these tremendous lies all over me! "

And a last quote from Bender.. the joke that no one (at least no one I know) knows the punch line to...

"A naked blond walks into a bar, with a poodle under one arm, and a two foot salami under the other. She lays the poodle on the table. Bartender says, "I suppose you won't be needing a drink." The naked lady says..."

doodles444s
Overlooked Sibling

Post by doodles444s » Apr 8th 2003, 2:00 am

The paper they (Brian) wrote..
"We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong. What we did WAS wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write this essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us...in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at seven o'clock this morning. We were brainwashed. "

Ok-- I'm sorry I went a little crazy with the quotes.. I love this movie :popcorn:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 8th 2003, 2:09 am

doodles444s wrote:And a last quote from Bender.. the joke that no one (at least no one I know) knows the punch line to...

"A naked blond walks into a bar, with a poodle under one arm, and a two foot salami under the other. She lays the poodle on the table. Bartender says, "I suppose you won't be needing a drink." The naked lady says..."
This is one of the lines that Judd Nelson ad-libbed (along with Neo-Maxo-Zoom-Dweebie) which is why no one knows the punch line!

:D

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 8th 2003, 11:53 am

My favorite Bender quote is:

"Bite my shiny metal ass"

oops...wrong Bender.

Last edited by fnordboy on Apr 8th 2003, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 8th 2003, 1:53 pm

fnordboy wrote:My favorite Bender quote is:

"Bit my shiny metal ass"

oops...wrong Bender.

:lol: Thanks for the laugh.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."