Favorite Movies???

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jan 24th 2003, 2:13 am

I understand why some people don't like Jerry Maguire. I'm kind of on the fence - I don't own it and it's not one of my favorite movies, but I don't actively hate it either. I don't understand why Renee Zellwegger's character fell in love with Tom Cruise's character. That aside, I'm not a huge RZ fan. I know that some guys told me they disliked the movie because the early commercials sold it as Tom Cruise as a sports agent comedy/drama, so they went and saw the movie only to find out that it was a lame chick movie (their assessment, not mine).

As far as Cameron Crowe goes, I do love Say Anything and Fast Times at Ridgemont High is a classic. I liked Almost Famous, but again, it's not something I ran out and bought because I loved it so much. I remember seeing Singles, but I don't really have a positive or negative feeling about it. The main thing I remember about that movie was one of the guys in our dorm who saw it with us was from Seattle so every time there was an outdoor shot he started yelling, "I know where that is! That's three blocks from _____!"

Office Space is awesome though. Anyone who has ever had to work in a cubicle can relate :D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Jan 24th 2003, 10:32 am

DVDOwner wrote:The Journey Of Natty Gann
I completely forgot about this movie. Not one of my favorites, but I used to love it when I was younger. :D
On Jerry Maguire...how can you be an MSCL fan and not like Jerry Maguire? It's against nature. It's got Winnie Holzman, Miss Mayhew, Angela running, Brian and Angela in the street...it's practically MSCL: The Motion Picture.
Because it has Tom Cruise and Cuba Gooding, Jr in it. Because the love story had no love nor reason to it. Because the editing was terrible...

I don't hate it hate it. I did like some parts of it, such as Bonnie Hunt, the little kid, the ode to MSCL scene... but the movie lacked something overall for me. I will admit that I haven't watched it since it came out on VHS, so I think I am going to give it another try. Especially since so many MSCL fans like it. :wink:

Fast Times and Say Anything rock, but I wouldn't put them on my list.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 24th 2003, 12:06 pm

Just didn't think J Maguire was anything special. I did appreciate the Winnie appearence though. I wouldn't call it MSCL on the big screen.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Movies

Post by lance » Jan 24th 2003, 12:51 pm

Hey all,

Here is my list, in no particular order of preference:

Aliens, Heat, Ghandi, Malcom X, Under Fire, Courage Under Fire, Glory, The Mission, Life of Brian, Star Wars, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, Max Dugan Returns (Love that movie*), Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Groundhog Day.

I am certain I am forgetting some. * Story behind this pick. The movie Max Dugan returns came out during the early 1980s. The movie starred a young Matthew Broderick, Jason Roberds and Donald Sutherland. The movie focused on a young single mother who taught high school and tried to raise her teenage son. They live paycheck to paycheck. The appliances in their home barely work and their old car gets stolen very early in the film. One day her long lost father returns and starts buying them new appliances, a car and other items that they could only dream about.

The story has done by Neil Simeon. Great performance, witty dialogue, go watch if you haven't already. This needs to be on DVD. Anyway, at the time it first came out I identified strongly with the movie. I was raised in a single parent home. Mom was working two jobs and going back to school for her bachelors, leaving me to watch over my two younger siblings. We definately lived paycheck to paycheck.

Funny thing, this is the one movie that my mom refused to let us watch when it came out on videotape. Everytime we watched it one of our major appliances broke down and needed to be replaced. First was the diswasher, next was the refrigerator and finally the washing machine died.

This has held pretty much true to this day. Last time we snuck the movie into watch at moms I believe the dryer died. Since then we haven't tried watch at moms for fear of another appliance dying on us.

Best,

Lance Man

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Jan 25th 2003, 3:56 pm

dTheater wrote:
TomSpeed wrote:Tin Cup, JFK, The Untouchables -- Kevin Costner's best movies
Kevin Costner's best movies. Isn't that, like, an oxy-moron?

On Jerry Maguire...how can you be an MSCL fan and not like Jerry Maguire? It's against nature. It's got Winnie Holzman, Miss Mayhew, Angela running, Brian and Angela in the street...it's practically MSCL: The Motion Picture.
I agree with you about Kevin Costner. He definitely doesn't have much acting range. However, I like Tin Cup because of the story (loser makes good, finds love) and Rene Russo (smart and very hot). I like The Untouchables because of my love of crime dramas and fascination with history. JFK appeals to me the same way The Untouchables does. So, I guess I don't conisder these movies among my favorites because of K. Costner -- they are just good movies.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Jan 27th 2003, 2:27 pm

JFK was very interesting, and Untouchables was good, but I also like dances with wolves. And what about WaterWorld?--- (yeah right :wink: )
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

IYBT
Tino

Post by IYBT » Feb 2nd 2003, 8:22 am

I feel as if I have already responded to this thread, although I cannot see any post by myself; if I have already posted here and am now doubling what I wrote last time, just ignore me and blame it on the obviously coming dementia!

The Silence Of The Lambs
I actually read the book before I watched the film, even though literary wise I preferred "Red Dragon" film wise I definitely preferred "Silence" to all three of the other films made from the book trilogy (including 1986's "Manhunter"). Incredibly made, wonderful scripts, amazing characters and one thing I will never forget are the close-faced camera shots as Hannibal and Clarice play a game of quid pro quo. -- Amazing cinema! Perhaps my all time favourite film.

Moulin Rouge
IMO, Baz Lurhman (hopefully spelt correctly) is a complete genius. Moulin Rouge is his best work so far. I actually saw this film six times at the cinema before I bought it on DVD. I like musicals anyway, but this really brought musicals up from the perceived boring "...Hills are alive with 'The Sound Of Music,'" to a modern, exciting format. The obvious links to famous operatic tragedies such as “La Boheme” adds more depth to the film than one actually realises.

All About Eve
One of the best scripts you will ever find, bitchy as they come. I never actually knew of this film until recently, embarrassingly enough from a "Will & Grace" where it was mentioned; few weeks after watching the episode, as I browsed in Borders, I noticed the film and bought it. I was not disappointed, for those who don't know it stars Bette Davis (I believe it has been called her best performance) and even has Marilyn Monroe wiggling around, if you haven't seen it, I recommend it!

The Devil's Advocate
I’ve watched this film many times since it came out. I’m not entirely sure why I enjoy it so much, the director, imo, was very clever. There is an atmosphere within this film, with each of the characters and in the locations that where brilliantly portrayed. Many have criticized the ‘over-the-top” ending, particularly in reference to Al Pacino’s acting, but I thought that was the point. The film built up in surrealism all the way from the beginning—step by step, until we reach the ultimate surreal and over the top conclusion. One thing I really enjoyed in this film was Keanu Reeves’ acting, I think he did remarkably well and portrayed every emotion that his character felt with excellence.

Some Like It Hot
I think this is probably one of the most famous films of all time. Every time you read or watch a top one hundred-film list: this film is hailed as the best comedy (at least generally). I tend to agree. It’s just one of those films that I can put on when I am really wound up, stressed or depressed and it loosens me up and makes me full completely cured. Marilyn looks stunning throughout the film, and of course this is where the famous “I Wanna Be Loved By You” actually comes from.

Star Wars Trilogy
I shall spare you all a rant on how sub par the newer Star Wars films are, I seem to get on my soapbox far to often regarding this subject! The original Star Wars films were and are incredible. They are always top in favourites lists and so on and it’s not hard to see why. Fantastic science fiction story line that relates to everyone, not just the science fiction fan, great acting, great action, great morals!

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
I first saw this film when I was younger (I’m talking early teen years) and I think fell asleep fifteen minutes into it. Since that time I have come to really appreciate this film for what it is. One thing that strikes me is that the only time music is used in the film is at the beginning, the ending and when they play the jukebox. Most films require music to get the atmosphere right; all that is used in this production is script and incredible acting performances from all the characters, in particularly Elizabeth Taylor. It won six Academy Awards, I believe, it certainly deserved them! Interestingly this film is also mentioned in Will & Grace along with “All About Eve.”

The Matrix
I think it is the storyline more than anything that gets me in this film. How original and maybe even possible! After watching it for the first time, it almost seemed as if that the circumstances in the film could be real, how would we know?
Again, Keanu Reeves is fantastic, along with the supporting cast. The cinematography is also something I greatly admire in the film. I think they used brand new ‘never before used’ techniques whilst filming; it definitely paid off.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 2nd 2003, 2:11 pm

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe is definitely a classic movie. You can really appreciate the fact that Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor had a real love/hate relationship. I read the play, which was written by Edward Albee, and saw the movie when I was in college. They made a definite impact on me. Yes, we often play games and deceive each other. However, we also love each other when we try to tear each other down. At one time, I fancied myself a college professor. The play and movie both gave me a sense of what being a college professor might entail. I still might pursue that career path down the road. However, I have doubts about my ability to assert the intelligence and passion pursuing an academic career would entail.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 2nd 2003, 6:54 pm

IYBT wrote:Moulin Rouge
IMO, Baz Lurhman (hopefully spelt correctly) is a complete genius. Moulin Rouge is his best work so far. I actually saw this film six times at the cinema before I bought it on DVD. I like musicals anyway, but this really brought musicals up from the perceived boring "...Hills are alive with 'The Sound Of Music,'" to a modern, exciting format. The obvious links to famous operatic tragedies such as “La Boheme” adds more depth to the film than one actually realises.
I agree that Moulin Rouge was a good movie, but I like the Sound of Music too! I like that Baz knows how to capture and sustain the attention of the MTV's short attention span generation, but I also appreciate traditional musicals as well. I see what you are saying about La Boheme, but my initial reaction to the movie (which I knew nothing about prior to seeing it at the theater besides the much publicized fact that Nicole Kidman was singing and dancing) was the obvious similarities to La Dame aux Camilias (and hence the opera La Traviata and the countless renditions of Camille on stage and screen). Then again, as anyone who has read The Hero with a Thousand Faces knows, tragedy is universal.

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 2nd 2003, 10:17 pm

I haven't seen Moulin Rouge yet. Sometimes, I follow the advice of friends when it comes to choosing the movies I want to see. I can't remember any of my friends saying that he liked it. However, many of my friends said that they hated it. So, I crossed it off of my list of must-see movies. I might rent it. I didn't like Romeo+Juliet when I saw it the first time. I bought the DVD because Claire is in it. However, after watching R+J several times and listening to the director's commentary, I have to say that it has grown on me. Upon further review, it is a damn fine movie. (Can I say damn?) Anyway, maybe I owe it to Baz to at least rent MR.
TomSpeed

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Moulin

Post by lance » Feb 3rd 2003, 10:11 am

Hey all,

I initially didn't think I would like Moulin Rouge. I had a blast. Friend of mine was watching the first 5 minutes and said, "What are they on and where can I get some!"

Best,

Lance Man

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Apr 5th 2003, 4:31 am

hey, i'm a huge cameron crowe fan too! ;) Other than him, my list is extremely eclectic... :P I seem to vacillate between sweet movies filled with hope and dark weird films filled with despair and confusion.

Say Anything

Jerry Maguire

Amelie

Memento

Forrest Gump

While You Were Sleeping

The Rules of Attraction

E.T.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

The Cutting Edge

Fight Club

Indiana Jones! (especially The Last Crusade!)

Pleasantville

Good Will Hunting

Welcome to the Dollhouse

Moulin Rouge

Back to the Future

Chasing Amy

About A Boy

Before Sunrise

A League of Their Own

Varsity Blues

Casablanca

High Fidelity
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 5th 2003, 4:47 pm

nkatsa,

Good picks.

Forrest Gump Yeah, I love that movie. When I used to work in a movie theater I saw it five times. A nice mix of comedy and tragedy.

Casablanca I like this movie, my wife absolutely loves it. I actually took a class in college about Movies in World War II. Turns out Casablanca is one of the HUGE propagnda films of all time.

Chasing Amy I loved this move...except the ending. I was kind of hoping that the two of them would make it.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

great movie

Post by lance » Apr 5th 2003, 4:55 pm

One of my favorite movies is:

Without a Clue

Any of you seen it?

A nice, :rofl: comedy staring Ben Kingsley and Michael Caine. This movie is a parody of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries. In this one the character of Watson (played by Kingsley) is actually the brillant detective while Holmes (played by Caine) is a bumbling actor hired by Watson to play the part of Holmes.

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

Best,

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Apr 6th 2003, 3:41 am

The Assignment

Easily among the best psychological thrillers I've seen. At the time of its release it was overshadowed by several big budget films in the same genre, but this one proved to be far superior. Great acting, trippy plot, and action sequences that have a point. The final scene rivals The Sixth Sense for sheer jaw-dropping impact.

8)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain