Calling all fans of the "Alien" movies

This is the place to discuss new and old movies or DVD releases of movies. You can also create topics about your favorite actor/actress.
Please post topics related to new productions of the MSCL cast and crew into the "Afterlife" forum.
lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Aliens

Post by lance » Feb 3rd 2003, 10:12 am

Sascha and GaryEA,

Thanks for the info.

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 25th 2003, 2:42 am

The Alien Quadrilogy is starting to look friggin awesome:

Alien: will include 14 deleted scenes for a total of 15
more minutes of the movie.

Aliens: will allow viewers to choose between the Theatrical version, which has never been available on DVD before, and the Cameron, Director’s cut

Alien 3: will include David Fincher’s 2 hr. 50 min
original version of the movie, which has never been released.

Alien Resurrection: will feature an alternate opening
and ending (crash on Earth).

And for the 9th bonus disc, which will include over 3 hours of material:

Alien Legacy – Was a free mail-in offer
Alien Evolution – BBC Documentary
Darkhorse Alien Comics
Darkhorse Alien vs. Predator
Complete Laser Disc features
DVD-ROM

September 2003

Remember all DVD contents/extras and release date is subject to change

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Feb 25th 2003, 5:51 am

Great!
Wonder how much it will cost...
The Alien sets that already exist (with not as much stuff) are about £70. That's a lot of money. Better start saving up :D

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 25th 2003, 9:47 am

fnordboy wrote:The Alien Quadrilogy is starting to look friggin awesome:

Alien: will include 14 deleted scenes for a total of 15
more minutes of the movie.

Aliens: will allow viewers to choose between the Theatrical version, which has never been available on DVD before, and the Cameron, Director’s cut

Alien 3: will include David Fincher’s 2 hr. 50 min
original version of the movie, which has never been released.

Alien Resurrection: will feature an alternate opening
and ending (crash on Earth).

And for the 9th bonus disc, which will include over 3 hours of material:

Alien Legacy – Was a free mail-in offer
Alien Evolution – BBC Documentary
Darkhorse Alien Comics
Darkhorse Alien vs. Predator
Complete Laser Disc features
DVD-ROM

September 2003

Remember all DVD contents/extras and release date is subject to change
An idea if the un-released Aliens 3 was better then the theaterical version?

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 25th 2003, 8:03 pm

Sounds great, but I don't believe it. Yet. It feels like a wish list to me. It could happen, and if it does, I'll gladly buy it. Right now, it seems too good to be true.

Here's the two things that stand out for me...

Alien Legacy - If it's the same doc that was on the mail-in when the Alien Legacy came out, then I'll be stunned. From what I understand, legal rights have held up this doc, and it was rumored at one point as never going to be available again.

Alien 3 Fincher cut: Fincher has pretty much disowned this film and in interviews will start his film career with "Seven" and not A3. The studio put so much pressure and interference on him, he walked away from it after the release, totally disgusted. If it is included, my bet is that it won't be with his consent. Not that that would stop Fox.

(lance - I've never seen the director's cut myself, though I've heard that it greatly improves the film with a more dense story and better characterization.)

I'm going to wait for an official announcement before doing the happy dance. :)

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Feb 25th 2003, 8:17 pm

I hope it is all true too, though of course it may not be.

Regardless this will be the set I pick up, unless of course somehow they royally screw it up. Yep, that's me super-optimist ;)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Alien3

Post by lance » Feb 25th 2003, 10:07 pm

Yeah,

Assuming things pick up a bit here in lanceland I may look into it. I have heard about some of the other scripts that were discussed for Alien 3. The one that Cameron proposed sounded awesome. Well here is hoping for the best on this set.

Lance Man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 4th 2003, 6:21 pm

Sweet Mother of Pearl! This set might be turning into the Holy Grail for Alien fans, and the most extensive box sets ever.

From the Bits...
We've got a couple of cool things for you today. First up, the May edition of the UK's Empire magazine has some details on the upcoming Alien Quadrilogy direct from 20th Century Fox. Look for the 9-disc set to include new "extended" cuts of Alien, Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection (Aliens will be the previous director's cut), along with audio commentaries, documentaries and lots more.

Each film will get 2-disc treatment (a disc for the film and a disc of extras), along with a 9th bonus disc of just supplementary material (including the Alien Legacy documentary). The film discs will reportedly give you the choice of watching the theatrical version or the new extended cuts via seamless branching.

According to Fox, the set is tentatively due for a late 2003 release. We'll post more details when Fox makes their official announcement.
I'm not sure how they got the Aloen Legacy back, but now a recut of Resurrection?!

Wow. I might own two Alien sets by the end of the year...

Gary[/i]

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Apr 4th 2003, 6:47 pm

Got this Empire mag partial transcript from the DVDFile.com message board. Treat all facts as rumor...
The studio is staying tight lipped about EXACTLY what there is:according to Fox spokesperson Jean Levicki, this is mainly due to "the fact we're not in the promotional period, and there are ongoing negotiations and discussions over what will appear".

Predictably, the internet has been swamped with all manner of rumours,speculation and wish lists.However, thanks to a set of very early specifaction lists provided by Fox, Remote Control (The dvd section of Empire) is able to provide an EXCLUSIVE glimpse of the probable 'general direction' in which the set is going.

"We will have new cuts of Alien,Alien 3
and Alien:Resurrection," says Fox's Sven Davidson.These will all include deleted material that will be seamlessly branched into the existing film.In the case of Aliens, there will be the choice of the theatrical edition, previously unavailable on dvd, and the extended Special Edition.

The box set's version of David Fincher's Alien 3 will undoubtedly have fans salivating, providing an ideal opportunity for the much-maligned film to be re-appraised.The so called 'Extended Work Print' ("Fincher will not allow us to call it a director's cut", says Davison) will POTENTIALLY incorporate much of the vast amount of deleted footage excised from the radically cut theatrical version, perhaps generating a near double running time and a vastly different film.

According to the preliminary specifications commentary fans are superbly catered for.All four directors look set to provide commentaries - a first for James Cameron (What About T2 Extreme Edition?) - along with production crew members.Each film will also bear cast commentaries, though the participants for each are not confirmed.At the very least, Sigourney Weaver should be sure to weigh-in on her star-making genre-changing role.

The supplementary discs appear to be fully-loaded affairs, potentially containing approximately 4 hours of material on each disc, including six-to-eight featurettes, deleted scenes,documentaries,multi-angle scene studies, full screenplays, trailers, art galleries and DVD-ROM material.

The Ninth disc will house the feature-length documentaries: the 68 minute Alien Legacy, devoted to Ridley Scott's Alien, and the BBC's excellent 2001 75-minute Alien Evoltion documentary, fronted by Mark Kermode and impressively featuring interviews with all the key players across all four films.The Disc will also contain material on the Aliens comic book series (including bouts against Predator and The Terminator) and DVD-ROM material.

It promises to be a more comprehensive package than the 1999 set.The big question of course, what's the damage to your pocket? There is more than enough to entice owners of the original set to buy again, which leads remote control to speculate that it might even come in under £100.Currently set for a Region 1 debut in September,the nine-disc set will, according to Fox's UK press office, "Likely see a release in early 2004" on this side of the Atlantic.Fans' appetites whetted, the anticipation is as gripping as a facehugger.
I'll believe it when I'm holding it in my hands... next to my empty wallet.

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 4th 2003, 6:56 pm

GaryEA wrote:
I'll believe it when I'm holding it in my hands... next to my empty wallet.

Gary
Oh my god.... If this is all true I will be sooooooo friggin happy!! :D

I love that they will utilize seamless branching to show both editions of the movies. This might be the boxset release of the year, hell, maybe of the whole existence of DVD thus far!

And please let them clean up any deleted scenes so that we don't have a Army of Darkness type situation.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Apr 7th 2003, 5:45 am

please please please let it be true!

I would actually save up my pennies for this. If we assume that the release will be pre-christmas and the cost around £100, that's 8 months to save £100, which by my calculation is £12.50 per month. Do-able.

I actually loved Alien 3 and a new cut of that would be seriously watchable for me - I'm breathing deeply and hoping that this happens.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » May 14th 2003, 1:55 pm

Well, some interesting news :) :

http://www.creature-corner.com/dvd/may12alienbox.php3
November is going to be a fine month, a fine month indeed. Plenty of holidays to take the day off from work. Plenty of food and drink to be had during Thanksgiving and Christmas. And plenty of time to sit down and make sweet lovin' to this box set.

Set the date: November 11, 2003. Click on the link above [ http://www.dvdsoon.com/showtitledetails.xml?uid=47036 ] and you'll see that this puppy is going for a whopping hundred bucks (Canadian). A bitch-inducing price, but it's all worth it. Trust me.
Not too shabby IMO. If this is in fact true than we will be able to find it either pre order or in release week for around 60-70 bucks :). Great deal.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » May 15th 2003, 5:13 am

thanks for the update! This is so cool. The set will be out just in time for my birthday!

And $100 CANADIAN doesn't sound as bad as I thought...

starbug
Lifehead

UPDATE

Post by starbug » Nov 10th 2003, 5:47 am

I found this on Amazon.co.uk following a delivery containing a christmas gift brochure.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 01-8607054

it says release date of Dec 8th... I am so excited! I have already dropped about 19 hints to Mr. S - plus it has a reasonable pricetag too.

Oh - here's the US site too...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 61-6538320

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Nov 10th 2003, 5:51 am

I just noticed that the packaging is different on the two sets... I prefer the US one. It seems slicker, somehow.

And if you scroll down on the UK version you can read a detailed description of what's on the set - I don't know where this guy got his information but if it's accurate...well, I'm salivating already. I may not go out for months!