why is seeing a teacher's lunch so depressing?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
crimsonglowgurl
Liberty High Student

why is seeing a teacher's lunch so depressing?

Post by crimsonglowgurl » Apr 4th 2003, 1:14 am

I never really understood the quote "seeing your teachers actual lunch is like, so depressing"
Can someone gimme their take on it???

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 4th 2003, 2:28 pm

-because it's a bit disgusting;
-because you see them are human, i mean it's a bit as if you'll see them going to toilet (bathroom?i don't know how you say it :) ), so they are not only teachers, they are human beings, and it's a bit...i have no idea how to explain it.

in fact i don't know really, could someone else answer because i'm not sure i understand it.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 4th 2003, 2:33 pm

black coffee wrote:-because it's a bit disgusting;
-because you see them are human, i mean it's a bit as if you'll see them going to toilet (bathroom?i don't know how you say it :) ), so they are not only teachers, they are human beings, and it's a bit...i have no idea how to explain it.

in fact i don't know really, could someone else answer because i'm not sure i understand it.
You are on track. It's hard for teenagers to see teachers as real people. Also, Angela in "Pilot," Angela voices her distate of eating in general. You could interpret what Angela says many different ways. That's what makes the writing so good.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 4th 2003, 3:17 pm

I agree with Black Coffee & Tom Speed - in the pilot, Angela is at a point in her life where she tends to see things in black and white rather than shades of grey. She views her teachers as authority figures who exist only in the classroom - she hasn't given any thought to their personal lives or habits. I don't think that it's only teachers she is referring to here - I'm sure she hasn't thought about the life that the policeman who takes her home has either. Being egocentric is part of childhood. Growing up means learning to see beyond the obvious and the self. The fact that Angela thinks that seeing Miss Mayhew's lunch is depressing ("not to mention her bra strap") shows that she is seeing her teacher as a person rather than a caricature. Angela's gradual recognition of teachers as real people continues throughout the series (she ponders their dignity at the beginning of the Substitute, and their sex lives in Pressure) as she continues to mature.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?