Rayanne and Angela in gym class (Betrayal)

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
Lolita
Tino

Rayanne and Angela in gym class (Betrayal)

Post by Lolita » Jan 3rd 2000, 3:15 pm

There's one thing that I always wondered about the 'Betrayal' episode. After Angela finds out about what Rayanne did, when they're in gym class, why does she go in front of that girl??? Does she want to be paired with Rayanne??? Why???

Ken
Liberty High Student

I have the same question as well

Post by Ken » Feb 23rd 2000, 10:27 am

I haven't actually seen the scene so I have the same questioon. Just thought I bring this up the board to see if anyone has an answer.

mia
Yearbook Team

Possible Answer?

Post by mia » Feb 23rd 2000, 1:51 pm

The only thing I can think of is that Angela wanted Rayanne to see her and deal with her. Angela had all this anger toward Rayanne for "umming" Jordan, and she didn't want Rayanne to be able to ignore that. Also, I think that perhaps Angela wanted to run through the exercises at the same time as Rayanne as sort of a competition. You know, to kind of show her up; show her who the "better" one was. The girl was angry, she was looking for an outlet. Just a guess, of course, but that's the best explanation I can come up with.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Re: Unanswered question

Post by Sascha » Feb 23rd 2000, 4:24 pm

No, she did go in front of that girl to NOT to be paired with Rayanne. At the beginning, Angela and Rayanne are the last ones in their rows - but Angela doesn't want to get in touch with Rayanne, so she cuts in front of that other girl. But when they are in front of the vault, the girl opposite Angela (in front of Rayanne) steps out of the line to tie her shoelace. Result: Angela and Rayanne are paired once again. I haven't seen this episode for some time, so I don't know whether it can be seen that Angela really does the vault (with Rayanne helping her) - but it might be interesting that it was planned to do so when Jill Gordon wrote the episode.<p>
That scene always reminds me of "The Wonder Years" - don't know why.

<p>
Sascha.

tigerlilly711
Nicky Driscoll

Post by tigerlilly711 » Apr 2nd 2003, 8:02 pm

I also thought she went in front of that girl NOT to be paired with Rayanne then I think someone stopped to tie their shoe. Anyway she was Saved By the Bell (Another phenomenal show) :D
This life has been a test, if it had been an actual life, you would have been given instructions on where to go and what to do

Kheldy
Tino

Post by Kheldy » Apr 3rd 2003, 3:49 am

I dunno about the whole being saved by the bell thing, like in Gym class we the teacher would always send us to the locker room before the bell, so that we could get changed - shrug, different strokes for different folks, or maybe it was lunch next or somethign and the teacher liked screwing them out of some lunch time ;)

First time I watched it I was a little baffled at what exactly Angela was doing, at first I thought she wanted to like take out Rayanne, but then - it was like gymnastics day not - wrestling day ;) Too bad Angelica. But after closer review yeah the whole avoidance thign seems far more - plausible.
-Dave

---
"mooo" - cow

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 3rd 2003, 10:12 am

In our gym class, in our gym we had a different bell that signaled when we could go to the locker room and change, and then we had the bell for the changing of the classes, if that makes sense.

And I agree with Sab about his take on the scene.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 3rd 2003, 1:56 pm

In middle school, there was a shower bell that signalled the PE teachers had to let us go back to the locker rooms. The shower bell was only audible on one side of campus (near the locker room, basketball courts, cafeteria, etc). There was a school wide bell that rang at the end of each period.

In high school, we only had a bell between periods so it was up to the PE teachers to let us get back to the locker room in time to change :x Often the people who had PE the period before lunch were shortchanged because the teachers figured they had the entire lunch period to change and get to class.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 3rd 2003, 4:01 pm

candygirl wrote:In high school, we only had a bell between periods so it was up to the PE teachers to let us get back to the locker room in time to change Often the people who had PE the period before lunch were shortchanged because the teachers figured they had the entire lunch period to change and get to class.
And don't forget stand in line and scarf your food as fast as possible once you get it. This is how my high school was too. The PE teacher decided when you change. Uncool. I hated gym. Come to think of it, I remember there only being like 20 minutes for lunch anyway.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 3rd 2003, 4:24 pm

Funny to think that when you work, the law requires a 15 minute break if you work 4 hours and a half hour break if you work 8 hours, but when you are in high school they figure you only need a 20 minute lunch to get you through a 7-8 hour day. True, you don't get paid to be at school, but it's still a long day with such a short break.

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Apr 3rd 2003, 4:29 pm

With only four-five minutes inbetween classes too. My first year in high school there were four, but they upped it to five the next year and pushed the time back, so school started at 8:15am instead of 8:05 and we were finished with 7th period at 3:25pm. That screwed me up for the longest time! For a while after the switch kids would start packing their bags up at 3:15, ready to go, and the teacher would say "There are ten more minutes! Don't pack up." That sucked.
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 3rd 2003, 4:40 pm

Those four minute passing periods almost killed me a few semesters when my classes were on opposite ends of campus - I had to get dressed (damn PE!) and then literally run across the quad and through the entire school out to the trailers on the other side of campus. My high school was really strict about tardies - one detention for every tardy, so you could get assigned multiple detentions in one day.

The transition from middle school to high school was a killer, time wise. The school district staggers the time that each school starts so that there are enough buses to pick everyone up. My middle school started at 8:15am and my high school started at 7:30am - having to get up an hour earlier was horrid. I don't think I ever recovered from it :wink:

Technically we had eight periods, but only six were required, so most people had class from 7:30am-2:30pm. You could choose to have a class during 0 or 7 period (or both if you needed the units) - 0 period started at 6:30am. Man. I never took a 0 period (some seniors liked to take 0 period because then they could leave early and go to the beach), but that encouraged our dance coach to have 0 period rehearsal several times. That totally sucked.

doodles444s
Overlooked Sibling

Post by doodles444s » Apr 3rd 2003, 10:19 pm

We had seven periods that rotated and we had 3 minutes in between classes, with a 20 minute lunch. My school started homeroom at 7:45 and we got out at like 2:10. When juniors or seniors had a study period in first period or last period they could come in late (at 8:50) or leave early (1:20), which was nice. :)

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 3rd 2003, 10:36 pm

I don't even remember how the classes went. It seems so long ago. I think that there were 9 45 minute periods, starting at 8:05 and ending at 2:50 (if you wer a driver/rider, you got to leave 10 minutes early, so the entrance and exit wouldn't be clogged with cars when the buses were leaving) or 2:55. 9th period was Activity Period for band, chorus, year book, etc. Sports took place after school. My high school wasn't too big. It was very strict. No one could leave the school without permission, no going to you locker in between classes, and no leaving the campus at all during the school day. That meant no going home or out for lunch. We couldn't even sneak in the parking lot. It was very well watched.

At my high school, my high school sweetheart and I use to make out in the theatre prop room behind the stage. We made that our "Boiler Room". Good times.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Apr 5th 2003, 3:28 am

now that i'm in college i take a maximum of three classes a day, and i marvel at how i was able to get through high school.

I tried taking four 1 1/2 hour classes on one day of the week, thinking that would be totally fine since that is exactly what a day in high school was like, but i just can't do it anymore!! It was just so exhausting! I got back to my dorm and passed out and napped for the rest of the afternoon. I think we get lazy and complacent in our old age. ;) my high school self could have done that schedule after three hours of sleep the night before, and then stayed on campus three more hours for extra curricular activities. i think about that now and am just truly amazed that i could have ever been that resilient. ahh, high school really and truly was the best of times and the worst of times... :P
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.