Famous Quotes Aboout France

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 31st 2003, 8:15 pm

andrewgd wrote:
Megs wrote:What? Can you post some of this evidence?
"The Bush-bin Laden tie, if only circumstantial, begins with a business relationship between the former president and Mohammed bin Laden, the Yemeni-born father of Osama who was a Saudi construction magnate. He died and left his future terrorist son about $300 million that has been used to finance global violence. The young bin Laden was among the freedom fighters propped up by the CIA as they battled the Soviets in Afghanistan when the elder Bush headed that agency. And bin Laden's Al Qaeda campaign began after Bush put U.S. troops in Saudi Arabia during the Gulf War. A decade later, bin Laden's Twin Tower attacks made the battle against terrorism the prime focus of George W.'s presidency.

"The senior Bush kept his ties with the bin Laden family up until two months after Sept. 11. The bin Ladens invested heavily in the Carlyle Group, which has its hands in a number of pies and is the 11th largest defense contractor even though it mostly buys failing defense companies and sells them for profits."

(Perhaps our war talk should be moderated to a "War and Media" thread. I feel bad for having highjacked the French joke thread.)
Where are these quotes from? The above links?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Mar 31st 2003, 8:53 pm

Oh, sorry:

http://www.rense.com/general36/mel.htm

http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=200 ... 2440-7289r

Granted, Moore can come across as a raving loon sometimes...but most of the time, his basic point is true.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 31st 2003, 10:02 pm

My post has been hijacked. No more topical jokes for me.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 1st 2003, 3:09 am

TomSpeed wrote:My post has been hijacked. No more topical jokes for me.
All your post are belong to us! ;)

Post by Guest » Apr 1st 2003, 4:16 am

-->My post has been hijacked. No more topical jokes for me.

sorry, i suppose it's my fault... :oops:
bye

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Apr 2nd 2003, 5:24 am

I personally cannot wait for Michael Moore's next film. I just saw Bowling for Columbine last week and I thought it was really really impressive.

I read in the paper (Observer I think) that Moore's next film will be all about the links between the Bush family and the Bin Laden family. Should be depressing viewing.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Back in the saddle again...

Post by lance » Apr 2nd 2003, 11:19 am

Hello all,

More insightful discussion without personal invective, just one more reason why I keep coming back to this board :D

Tom Speed Thanks again for bringing humor, keep the jokes coming. Things are unfortunately very dark here and abroad, we need all the help we can get.

Guest Thank you for sharing a French perspective on things. I do appreciate the insight.

Of course all news sources are biased to one degree or another. Here in Cincinnati the local newspapers: the Cincinnati Enquirer, Cincinnati Post, and the Business Courier are extremely conservative in their outlook. Meanwhile over at CityBeat, you can find a left wing perspective. All of these papers are on line for any of you who are curious.

As far as my news sources go: On a daily basis I listen to NPR and the BBC World News Service. I have just started to listen to the BBC and I am loving every minute of it.

Now if I am in the mood for good old-fashioned left leaning, right wing bashing, I go to Molly Ivins columns, thesmirkingchimp.com, the Nation and Mother Jones. Of course I know reading these sites that everything has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Fnordboy and Andrewgd Check out yesterday's broadcast of Fresh Air hosted by Terri Gross, courtesy of NPR. She had a show with a commentator who traced the development of the current Administration's Iraq policy to a right wing think tank back in 1992. Interesting and yet scary stuff.

Best,

Lance Man

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Apr 2nd 2003, 11:30 am

starbug wrote:I personally cannot wait for Michael Moore's next film. I just saw Bowling for Columbine last week and I thought it was really really impressive.

I read in the paper (Observer I think) that Moore's next film will be all about the links between the Bush family and the Bin Laden family. Should be depressing viewing.
Yeah that is the rumor so far. I don't know how true it is. I have a real love hate for Michael Moore, but generally his films are good. I haven't seen Bowling For Columbine yet (waiting for the DVD).

I will be impressed if he gets this film made.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: Back in the saddle again...

Post by fnordboy » Apr 2nd 2003, 11:31 am

lance wrote: Fnordboy and Andrewgd Check out yesterday's broadcast of Fresh Air hosted by Terri Gross, courtesy of NPR. She had a show with a commentator who traced the development of the current Administration's Iraq policy to a right wing think tank back in 1992. Interesting and yet scary stuff.

Best,

Lance Man
I will hunt it down, thanks! :)

Nos-too-lazy-to-log-in-us

Post by Nos-too-lazy-to-log-in-us » Apr 2nd 2003, 8:11 pm

Hi all, this is Nostradamus, I'll log in later but I had some quick notes... :)

In the spirit of Lance's post, my source for Libertarian-leaning, big-government bashing war news is http://www.truthaboutwar.org/.

Regarding the Iraq policy, I found some links that may be similar to what Lance mentioned:

http://www.truthaboutwar.org/claim7.shtml

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/nigh ... 30310.html

andrewgd
Liberty High Graduate

Post by andrewgd » Apr 3rd 2003, 12:50 am

I get my play-by-play from here:

http://www.agonist.org/

He tries to stay in the middle, which allows the viewer to actually decide how they feel about events. (gasp!)

I think it is so wrong how news stations are doing nothing than editorializng and speculating. Tell me what is happening, then keep your opinions to your damn selves.

I guess I can blame it on the falling IQ of America. They can't think for themselves (or don't want to), so they need big media (and the gov)telling them how they should think about events.
"Your imagination, like a child, will explode with unrestrained possibilities for adventure."

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Iraq humour

Post by lance » Apr 3rd 2003, 9:31 am

Hello guys,

Here is a bit of Iraq humor for you, courtesy of my ma:

A good one! Sing along!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If You're Happy And You Know It, Bomb Iraq -by John Robbins

If you cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq.

If the markets are a drama, bomb Iraq.

If the terrorists are frisky,

Pakistan is looking shifty

North Korea is too risky,

Bomb Iraq.

If we have no allies with us, bomb Iraq.

If we think that someone's dissed us, bomb Iraq

So to hell with the inspections,

Let's look tough for the elections,

Close your mind and take directions

Bomb Iraq.

It's pre-emptive non-aggression, bomb Iraq.

To prevent this mass destruction, bomb Iraq.

They've got weapons we can't see,

And that's all the proof we need,

If they're not there, they must be there,

Bomb Iraq.

If you never were elected, bomb Iraq.

If your mood is quite dejected, bomb Iraq.

If you think Saddam's gone mad,

With the weapons that he had,

And he tried to kill your dad,

Bomb Iraq.

If corporate fraud is growin', bomb Iraq.

If your ties to it are showin', bomb Iraq.

If your politics are sleazy,

And hiding that ain't easy,

And your manhood's getting queasy,

Bomb Iraq.

Fall in line and follow orders, bomb Iraq

For our might knows not our borders, bomb Iraq

Disagree? We'll call it treason

Let's make war not love this season

Even if we have no reason

Bomb Iraq

Best,

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Apr 3rd 2003, 9:49 pm

OK, I'm back now. :)

Lance, your ma is cool! My parents never made up satirical rhyming commentary for me... :wink:

Anyway, after the serious links I posted earlier, I thought it only fair to provide a link to the Onion's coverage of the 2000 Libertarian convention, which consisted of a few dozen people drinking soda and eating pizza at some guy's apartment.

http://www.theonion.com/onion3624/liber ... ntion.html

:drink:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain