Newbies!

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 29th 2003, 12:35 am

Welcome to the forum Chaser! Hope to see more posts from you soon now that you have officially delurked yourself.

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 29th 2003, 4:57 pm

Cool! Another Meg! Welcome!

And welcome Chaser!

:n00b:
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

doodles444s
Overlooked Sibling

Post by doodles444s » Apr 2nd 2003, 12:49 am

:) I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I've been reading and exploring mscl.com for a couple months and I've found it pretty interesting. I don't remember when I started watching mscl... but I do remember loving the show and being mad when I found out it was cancelled. It's great to read your discussions of each episode and one of my roommates is getting me the series for my bday. It'll be nice to watch them and see what you guys said about it. You all seem pretty perceptive and its funny the little things you guys pick up (like the purse straps in the first episode). It reminds me of when we study a book and look for the significance of the details.
About me.. I'm 20 (turned it today april first-- I guess I registered as a BDay gift for myself :wink: ) and I'm majoring in graphic design with a minor in communication media (they are similar studies but one is more geared towards computers and the other is towards design) Interests are art, books and friends.
I didn't mean to write so much about me. I just know you have all shared a lot so I am trying to catch up. Hope to chat soon!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 2nd 2003, 12:56 am

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to jump into any threads (or even share your ideas in old threads).

I think some of that "perception" comes from watching the series obsessively and repeatedly - after the first 100 times, a lot of things seem to stand out. Once you get your set, you will be able to join the OCD cult. Uhhh, I mean, you'll know what I mean :wink:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

welcome

Post by lance » Apr 2nd 2003, 11:29 am

Pushes power button on computer. Nothing happens.

Moderator becomes frustrated and kicks tower case, computer starts :D

Hello all,

I just wanted to say Chaser and doodles444s

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Glad you could join us!

Best,

Lance Man

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 2nd 2003, 3:49 pm

Hello everydoby!!!
it's my first message as "black coffee", but i've already post few messages as guest.First i want to say that i know reading my post is maybe not always a pleasure because of my mistakes and lack of vocabulary, so i apologize...

so, i come from france, i discovered MSCL few years ago (it's called "angela 15 ans" here) and i fall in love whith this awesome show.But at that time i didn't know it was considered as a great tv serie, my friends just said "this show is stupide, but jordan catalano is so hot!!!", so i didn't admit i really love it...but when i begin to be interested in a lot of others tv series, i bought books about it and i saw how much people consider it as a major tv show.So i try to find french sites but there forums are poor ( just a few post, always talking only about the supposed homosexuality of jared leto), so when i find this one ....i was glad!!

this is one of the most complete and cool site about a tv serie i've ever seen (maybe the best), and i feel really happy to see people keeping mscl in there heart even about 10 years ago.

i don't know if i will post really often; i haven't seen the episodes since years but a remember so much things...and i finally find someone to send me all the episodes in original version with french subtitles and i already have the 12 first, so....i'm glad!!!!!so glad...i think you can understand what i feel...

see you later!! :D

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 2nd 2003, 3:59 pm

Welcome to the forum black coffee! I know what a relief it was when I found this website - like the little bumblebee girl in the Blind Melon video. I had found a place where people understood how great MSCL is.

There is also a French forum here, but sorry to say that it isn't as active as the rest of the site.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

welcome

Post by lance » Apr 2nd 2003, 5:01 pm

Black coffee,

Great to have you here!

Lance Man

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Apr 2nd 2003, 5:10 pm

I think this newbie thing is a great idea. I’ve been wanting to tell someone how MSCL affected me, but I didn’t want to go totally off topic in one of the other forums.

Lets see… I started watching the show on ABC when I was 14 going on 15 and a freshman in High school, and again on MTV when I was a sophomore. In a way I feel privileged that I was the same age as Angela when I watched it, it spoke to me on so many levels, I guess that’s a big reason I have remained a fan all these years. Not only does the show remind me of those years by being a good representation, but it also reminds me because I remember my own experiences when the episodes were on.

I’ve had all the episodes on VHS since they were on MTV. They were low quality and out of order, but I watched them over and over anyway. Just last month I order the DVDs to replace them. They peaked my interest again and I stumbled on this site and have been visiting it a few times a day since then.

Here is my favorite MSCL inspired moments from when I was 15.

At the end of my freshman year I professed my love in a letter to this girl whom I had been helping with her homework. Well actually, I had been doing some of her homework for her, since I was starved for attention. Anyway, this wouldn’t be that strange except I copied 90% of the letter from the last episode. I rearranged it a bit and added some of what Jordon said, and some of my own thoughts, but if you saw the episode, you knew exactly where it came from. She never said anything about it, so I assumed she hadn’t seen it (or at least I hope not). I don’t know for sure, because after I gave the letter, I had no idea what to do next. In my 15 yr old genius I gave her the letter on the second to last day of school, so the next day was extremely awkward. She said she was flatter and that I must need glasses if I truly saw all those things in her. Then the summer came and went, and the next year we had a few short conversations and that was it. I think the high point was she borrowed change from me after school one day, pitiful, I know. The letter didn’t have the effect I was hoping for, of course, I’m not sure I ever knew that effect was suppose to have been. And that’s my sad little tale from adolescence. Guess I was trying to do something Jordon-esque, turned out, I was playing the role of Brian the whole time. Thank god adolescence doesn’t last forever.

Little bit about me: I’m an Mechanical Engineer, I just graduated last December. I recently finished my last year of playing collegiate hockey. I teach ski and snowboard lessons in the winter months and do just about anything you can imagine in the outdoors. I’ve been dating the same wonderful girl for the past 4 years, and someday I’d like to design mountain bikes or climbing equipment, and learn to kayak in my spare time. Beyond that, if I’m still playing hockey when I’m 75, I’ll die a happy man.
Greatest Accomplishment: Graduating College
Greatest Moment: Holding the Stanley Cub (the holy grail, if you’ve never played, you wouldn’t understand)

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone. See you all in the forums, and if anybody wants to contact me to chat, feel free.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Apr 2nd 2003, 6:19 pm

nothingman wrote: Greatest Moment: Holding the Stanley Cub (the holy grail, if you’ve never played, you wouldn’t understand)
:shock: Uh... you actually touched, no held, the Stanley Cup? Sweet!
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

loveme
Nicky Driscoll

Post by loveme » Apr 2nd 2003, 10:04 pm

-->There is also a French forum here, but sorry to say that it isn't as active as the rest of the site.

yes i know, i've post in it but nobody never answer me...this is a little bit strange because mscl is a well-apprecied tv serie in france, i'm sure you've got a lot of french visitors :wink:

and yes, you know how much mscl affected me, because it affected you at least a little bit on the say way, and i know that so...i feel at home (i don't know how you say that), i mean i feel good beeing here.Oouups sorry it's very confusing... :oops:
and on the other hand this is a little bit different for me, because it contributs to the vision i've got of your country :usa:, the "american dream" still exists for me, and all this "christmas ambiance" french critics noticed... :x-mas: (don't know if you understand what i mean)
i've never go to usa, even if this is one of my deepest dream, so everything i can imagine about your country is coming from tv and litterature...and my so called life is a part of it, it's a vision of america that i love.

hs: i've found a little emoticon i specialy like: :morning: :)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Apr 3rd 2003, 9:35 am

Nothing man

Thank you for sharing with us. I love your avatar by the way.

Black Coffee Interesting thing about language, no wait I will start a new thread.

Best,

Lance Man

guitarchick
Overlooked Sibling

introduction

Post by guitarchick » Apr 4th 2003, 11:21 pm

Hello,

I too have been lurking around for quite a while.. so it's time to say/write something (well other than the infamous hair dye post.. :P ) so here we go...

I was about 10 when MSCL originally aired on ABC. I caught a few episodes back then but didn't get it at all! it's funny comparing my childhood perception of the show to my perception now... Back then I really didn't understand Angela but I was sort of fascinated by her world... I remember watching her and Jordan make out in Self-Esteem and being like "whoa... so that's how you kiss..." lol...

anyways, fast forward 5 years... feeling kinda lost, misunderstood and alone... frustrated at my parents who expected me to be someone I wasn't anymore.. excited and apprehensive about my new friends (at a new school) and all the crazy stuff they were doing... and somehow MSCL fell into my hands... I think I ordered a tape off amazon or something... anyways, the rest is history... it basically helped me get through high school.. Now I'm in my second year of cegep (equivalent to 1st year college or grade 13) and I have a much better relationship with my parents and myself... I started watching all the episodes again about 5 months ago and finally saw the end of the series when I got the dvds for christmas.. Now, once again my perspective has changed.. Although I can still completely relate to Angela emotionally, I have sort of moved past that.. and I now enjoy analyzing the show in a more objective way and making connections between episodes, characters, etc... I guess that’s what brings me to this board... I just mean that analyzing seems to be what goes on around here... And I’ve read some really intelligent and insightful comments so far which is very cool... :-)

Now, a bit about myself... I’m from Montreal, Quebec, Canada... I’m 19.. Actually my birthday was yesterday (april 3)... I recently dyed my hair “crimson glow”.. Something I’ve wanted to do since I was 15 but was never confident enough to try till recently.. Which sounds weird.. But it’s not like I went around wanting red hair all the time.. I sorta went in and out of periods or something... :wink: anyways, i’m enjoying it...

I’m a singer songwriter... I play guitar and I just finished applying to a bunch of universities and doing auditions and such.. So far I found out that I got into Acadia (in Nova Scotia) and Berklee College of Music in Boston... Which is like my dream school... But unfortunately it is way out of my price range... I did go there last summer for a songwriting workshop though. And I’m planning on going there next summer for a 5 week performance program which I’m thrilled about!

Actually, speaking of Berklee... This is going to sound silly.. But when I was there last summer, I met this guy... Long-ish hair... Played guitar... And well... “Way too gorgeous!!!”.. I drove my friends crazy talking about him... Lets just say I called him Jordan... haha.. (not to his face of course).. Actually what’s really funny is his real name is Graham!! And I’ve noticed some connections in MSCL between Jordan and Graham (i.e. In Angela’s dream in the last episode where they are walking down the hall together...) so anyways, back to my “Jordan”.. Nothing really happened (other than intense staring and a few heart stopping conversations...) since the workshop was only a week.. But lets just say it was very MSCL.. And it was fun feeling like that again... :lol:

So I dunno.. I guess that’s about it for now... I could say more, but I have a feeling I’ve already said too much... :-P

maybe I’ll post some of my music some time...

Emilie

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Apr 5th 2003, 12:48 am

Welcome to the forum Emilie!

I don't know the particulars of your financial situation, but don't completely rule out Berklee because you think you can't afford it. I initially went to a private college that I thought was way out of my price range, but financial aid will cover a lot of the costs. There are grants and scholarships, and there are always student loans. You might have to sign the student loan paperwork in blood :wink: but it's worth it to be where you really want to be.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Hi

Post by lance » Apr 5th 2003, 4:25 pm

Hi Emilie!

:D

Thanks for posting. College, wow. I do hope that you get into the school that you want to, always remember financial aid and school loans. I have never been to Nova Scotia but I have always wanted to go. My friends in Ottawa tell me that is the place to go in the Summer if you like to hike or bike.

Please post your music.

Best,

Lance Man