Did Angela get on your nerves at certain moments?

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Did Angela get on your nerves at certain moments?

Post by inhirnamy137 » Mar 5th 2003, 5:20 pm

For the most part I liked Angela, but sometimes she did get on my nerves.I realize she was a teenager,therefore she was going to be somewhat self-centered,but atimes being a teenager was no excuse for her selfishness.

The way she treated Brian, Sharon and her parents sometimes pissed me off.Even the way she constantly tried to push herself on Jordan was annoying atimes.

I know Brian could be annoying himself, but she treated him like a second class citizen most of the time. In "Dancing in the Dark", she used Brian just to see Jordan, but the plan backfired in her face,when Jordan isn't as suave as she thought he would be. In "Other People's Mother" she was so rude to her mother, eventhough she saw her mother under stress,trying to put together the anniversary party.Instead she had to go to Rayanne's party dressed like someone throwup on her. Again her plans backfired on her. I think she still was ungrateful to her mother for saving Rayanne.

Now about Jordan,I know if you have a crush you will try to get that person attention, but sometimes I wish she would have left him alone.She constantly was in his face, but honestly he was nice about it. I know guys who would've been rude.She had an idea of his personality,from the company he chose, but yet she tried to make him into a prince charming. In "Self-Esteem", I thought he was wrong, because he LED her on in the boiler room. In other episodes though like "Can't Read", it was so obvious the guy didn't want to come to her house, and he really want to take her out either, she forced herself on him. He only said yes, because he was uncomfortable, some guys would've told her flat out no.Jordan should've called though.Basically she wanted him to be her ideal man personality wise, just because he was handsome. Finally he does take interest, but only after she constantly is in his face.I think he was sweet guy more or less. (No he shouldn't have slept with Rayanne). The most loyal and mature teenager on the show was Sharon (the friend Angela hurt).

*Someone said they stop watching the show after Jordan and Angela hooked up, because they thought it was unrealistic that such a homely girl could get a hunk like Jordan. what do you think?

angelachase
Frozen Embryo

Post by angelachase » Mar 8th 2003, 10:08 pm

I don't think that Angela was "homely" at all, in fact i think she was very pretty. Plus, it's not as if Jordan was extremely popular outside of his "frozen embryo" crowd, so the two of them hooking-up didnt seem that mind boggeling.
On the whole Brian thing, I doubt that Angela was deviously trying to be mean to him, but was just on instinct. I think we all have a "brian-type" person in our lives. You know, the type of person that annoys the hell out of you, but you love just the same.
Amazing things happen everyday. Earthquakes, hurricanes, even glaciers move...So why couldn't he just look at me?

maddymay
Tino

Post by maddymay » Mar 10th 2003, 12:49 am

inhirnamy137-
i think this forum is an interesting place for you to be whining about the show, people here love this show. If Angela had been perfect and kind to everyone all the time, and never doing stupid things, what would be left to write about. The show is not about how people should always act, it's about how people are. If she annoys you so much, why are you even watching the show?

(sorry if that sounded harsh, ive got a little PMS)
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. Then you tell me... you know... that you forgive me."

Post by Guest » Mar 10th 2003, 1:33 pm

I also have to say that I don't think Angela was homely either. Claire Danes was and is a very pretty girl. I also thought it kind of strange how much the show and Angela especially annoyed you. It doesn't sound like you are much of a fan of the show. Yeah, Angela makes mistakes sometimes and doesn't always say the right thing, but who does. I know when I think back to when I was 15 I cringe to think of some of the things I said and did and wore, etc., etc. And of course there were people I wasn't always the nicest too, especially my Mom. I think almost every teenage girl has major issues with their mom at that age and you are just plain cranky and testy at home at that age. I mean god I still annoy myself with saying stupid things or doing the wrong thing at times. Don't you????

inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Post by inhirnamy137 » Mar 10th 2003, 5:46 pm

Excuse you Maddymay. but isn't this a messageboard? Didn't I say at "certain moments". I liked the show, but just because someone likes the show doesn't mean I have to agree with EVERYTHING Angela Chase did. She was rude and selfish at cetain moments, sorry if that doesn't fit your HEROINE image of her. I was posting validate moments that I didn't agree with Angela's behavior, that's not whining, that's expressing a opinion :x . Did I agree with Rayanne drinking no, Brian dumping Deila no, Angela treating Sharon coldly no, the makers of the show didn't want it to be a nice good ole beaver cleaver type show, they made real characters with real personalities, therefore they were not PERFECT! So if a person says something negative about Angela they are whining, yet I have read negative comments about Jordan, Patty, Rayanne, Brian, when there characters acted in a way people didn't agree with, that's okay, but to talk negative about Angela's behavior is whining. WHATEVER!
:evil:. I watched the show because I loved the plot and DIFFERENT characters, not because I was idolizing Angela's every action. I can't believe you people think just because I find some faults with Angela's character that, I shouldn't want to watch the show. There were other characters on their besides Angela. Did you ignore the part of the post where I said "For the most part I liked Angela" out of 19 episodes, a person can't disagree with some of Angela's behavior. Is this a ,I love Angela board or a show discussion board?

By the way my friend thought Angela was homely looking, I was just asking people's opinion of HIS opinion.
Last edited by inhirnamy137 on Mar 10th 2003, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 11th 2003, 5:54 am

Whoa, everybody please calm down. This forum is not a place to attack each other. There's no need for getting rude. Please respect the opinions of other posters in this forum - even if they criticize the show or the characters. Thank you.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 11th 2003, 10:27 am

A woman can be the most beautiful woman in the world, but she won't truly know her beauty unless she feels it internally. Angela is a beautiful woman, but she doesn't believe she is beautiful. Her opinion of herself holds her back. Patty is much the same way. She was beautiful, but she didn't allow herself to enjoy her beauty.

Beauty is definitely also in the eye of the beholder. As a viewer, you can like the way Angela looks or not. She reminds me a bit of the girl I had my first crush on in school. We grew up together in much the same way that Brian and Angela grew up together. My friends used to make fun of her the way guys often make fun of people. Her nose was too big. Her eyes were too close together. She had mousy hair, etc. But to me, she was the most beautiful girl in the world. I built her up so much, I was afraid to approach her.

I agree with Sab. This is a forum. We shouldn't jump on each other for expressing our opinions. All opinions are welcome when it come to the show, even if you hate it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

ForgiveMeLove
Frozen Embryo

Post by ForgiveMeLove » Mar 13th 2003, 1:23 pm

Angela never "annoyed" me persay. When I watched the show when it aired...I was 15. So everything she said made perfect sense to me. I understood her ... I related to her. Now watching it back, I want to scream at the TV and tell her what to do. Not to make those inevitable teenage mistakes. But then I realize I wouldn't be who I am today if I hadn't made those mistakes. And I like who I am. I am sure on some other plane Angela likes who she has become. I would imagine if anyone watched back their life at age 15 they would want to changes things. I know I would. But in the end I wouldn't. Yea, I ramble.

And I happen to think Angela is beautiful. A pretty face and a genuinely good heart. I don't think she ever meant to hurt Brian. She was 15. It happens. When you are 15 your world is ... the world. It's not selfishness, it's life.
-Melody
"It's wasn't as good as you remember...It was better."

Nothingman
Liberty High Graduate

Post by Nothingman » Mar 16th 2003, 7:38 pm

I think ForgiveMeLove hit this one right on the nose. I completely agree with her. I think we tend to forget our ignorance as teenagers as we get older. That ignorance often annoys us even within ourselves. How many times have we all looked back asked ourselves "What was I thinking?". I think Angela does what any teenager does. Adolesance is a cruel time because we do not yet understand how our actions affect others. I think if you truely watch it through the eyes of a 15 yr old, her actions aren't annoying. But then again some people just annoy other people, that's life, and they have every right to feel that way. To each his own I guess.

In some ways I'd love to go back through my High School years knowing what I know now. In other ways I know I'd hate it even more. But either way it wouldn't be adolesance without the process of shedding our ignorance and inocence.
"To come to your senses, you must first go out of your mind." - Alan Watts

inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Post by inhirnamy137 » Mar 21st 2003, 5:22 pm

At "CERTAIN" moments, seems to be the keyword everyone is missing. I watched the show back in 1994, I liked ALL the characters, and at "CERTAIN" moments ALL of them did something I didn't like. I never once said I didn't like show. Please show me in my post were I said I didn't like the show. If I didn't like the show why would I watched all 19 episode repeatly. I can't understand why people think I didn't like the show because I didn't like some of Angela's behavior. I like her at certain moments, but at certain moments I didn't like her behavior. I guess you can't say anything bad about Angela on this messageboard HuH. She is only 15 on the show, but since she is allowed to make mistakes, aren't I allowed to criticize them? Iam one of the biggest MSCL fans-since the beginning, despite what anyone thinks. :wink:

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 21st 2003, 6:20 pm

inhirnamy137 wrote:I guess you can't say anything bad about Angela on this messageboard HuH. She is only 15 on the show, but since she is allowed to make mistakes, aren't I allowed to criticize them?
Plenty of people at this forum have criticized Angela's actions (treating Brian like crap, pulling away from Rayanne when she needed Angela, lying to Jordan, being mean to Danielle, etc.) but previous posts focused on Angela's actions rather than Angela herself. In other words, it's one thing to say, "She made mistakes," and another thing to say, "She is annoying," which is probably what people didn't like.

No one is perfect, including Angela. As ForgiveMeLove said, we all make mistakes which is why many of us identify with Angela. We recognize some of the poor choices she made or can at least understand why she did some of the things that she did.

That said, this forum is not a place where we brainwash everyone into believe the exact same things or chanting, so there are bound to be people who will disagree with you from time to time. Remember that each member is entitled to express their opinions, even if they are the exact opposite of what you believe, so don't take it personally!

:D
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Post by Guest » Mar 21st 2003, 11:28 pm

i always just felt bad for her, making herself look silly. being to pushy at times... it is what gives the show charm.

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Mar 22nd 2003, 7:27 am

excellent response, ForgiveMeLove! I completely agree and felt the exact same way.

there were definitely a number of things Angela did that just made me cringe, but it wasn't because she was annoying, it was because she was familiar. I just completely remember doing something like that or thinking something like that, and it starts to feel like I'm watching myself making mistakes. It can be painful and I want to yell and scream "why are you doing that?! don't be stupid!" but for me it was just "annoying" because it felt so real. I hope that makes sense. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 22nd 2003, 8:08 pm

nkatsa wrote:there were definitely a number of things Angela did that just made me cringe, but it wasn't because she was annoying, it was because she was familiar. I just completely remember doing something like that or thinking something like that, and it starts to feel like I'm watching myself making mistakes. It can be painful and I want to yell and scream "why are you doing that?! don't be stupid!" but for me it was just "annoying" because it felt so real. I hope that makes sense. Does anyone else feel the same way?
You know I do! Remembering something stupid from my past feels like getting sucker-punched in the guts with brass knuckles -- Oooh! I can't believe I said that! <groans> :oops:

Despite their discomfort, however, such memories build realism in the characters and make for a better drama.
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Post by Guest » Mar 24th 2003, 2:27 pm

I guess "annoying" was too harsh of a word, I was just surpised at the extreme backlash. :lol: