Claire Danes in Igby Goes Down

Discuss former or new projects of Claire Danes ("Angela Chase") in this forum.
Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Win "Igby Goes Down" DVD

Post by Sascha » Jan 22nd 2003, 12:50 pm

dvdfile.com is giving away one free copy of Claire's latest movie (only for residents of Region 1 territories):

Win an Igby Goes Down DVD

Contest ends on February 2nd.

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Mar 3rd 2003, 2:52 am

I finally had a chance to rent the DVD and it was worth the wait.

SPOILERS

I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't the dark comedy I ended up watching. Even though I often find myself disappointed after watching critically acclaimed fare, I thought this movie lived up to the hype. And, of course, it was great to see Claire in a new movie.

As a fan of long hair, I loved the look she had for Sookie. She might not have been in every scene, but she was obviously an integral character in the movie and I loved the way she played off both Kieran Culkin and Ryan Phillipe. The one thing that struck me the most was how different the Sookie character was from MSCL's Angela. I almost couldn't see Claire because all I was seeing was this character who was part of the movie. In other movies I've seen Claire in, I tend to see shades of Angela, so that's why I really think Claire excelled in this performance.

I cracked up during the audio commentary when writer/director Burr Steers and Kieran commented about how much ice cream Claire had to eat during the filming of this movie, especially since the diner scenes were filmed back to back. One of my favorite scenes is when Sookie feigns offering a taste of the ice cream cone to Igby only to smatter ice cream all over his face. Classic!
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 20th 2003, 9:21 pm

I finally received Igby Goes Down from Amazon. I like free shipping, but Amazon equates free shipping with "We'll ship things when you buy a few of them anytime we like." Anyway, I'll try to watch it soon. I'm looking forward to it.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

So-Called Loon
Angela's best friend

so... i'm..... slow.

Post by So-Called Loon » Mar 22nd 2003, 6:51 am

NIGHTJESSI wrote:As a fan of long hair, I loved the look she had for Sookie. She might not have been in every scene, but she was obviously an integral character in the movie and I loved the way she played off both Kieran Culkin and Ryan Phillipe. The one thing that struck me the most was how different the Sookie character was from MSCL's Angela. I almost couldn't see Claire because all I was seeing was this character who was part of the movie. In other movies I've seen Claire in, I tend to see shades of Angela, so that's why I really think Claire excelled in this performance.
Nothing like reentering a topic a few weeks after anybody cares. It wasn't all that long ago that i finally obtained the Igby DVD. Interesting film and Sookie was a very intriguing character. I quite liked the "vegetarian joint" scene.
I cracked up during the audio commentary when writer/director Burr Steers and Kieran commented about how much ice cream Claire had to eat during the filming of this movie, especially since the diner scenes were filmed back to back.
That was pretty amusing. I thought it was kind of funny how they made a big deal about the 'eyebrow' as well.

And now my peeve with the story. I couldn't buy Sookie getting involved with Igby's brother. He was a cold fish and so bloody sure. Important to the plot, but just didn't fly.
Been a member since sometime BR (before Ross)

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Re: so... i'm..... slow.

Post by fnordboy » Mar 22nd 2003, 11:59 am

So-Called Loon wrote:And now my peeve with the story. I couldn't buy Sookie getting involved with Igby's brother. He was a cold fish and so bloody sure. Important to the plot, but just didn't fly.
That was definitely one of my problems with the story as well. The other problem I had with the movie was the end.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 22nd 2003, 3:25 pm

I finally got to see Igby. All I can say is that it's a really good movie. Claire does a great job. Her character in the movie is very different from Angela. You should rent it if you haven't seen it yet.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 27th 2003, 12:26 pm

I didn't like that part of the plot as well. Maybe if it had been developed more, it would have seemed more believable. I really thought Sookie and Igby made a good couple. Maybe 17 and 20-24 (I'm not really how old Sookie is in the movie) is a big age difference. However, Igby's brother is such a prick.
TomSpeed

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Apr 15th 2003, 12:29 pm

Literary reference for Claire's character Sookie

I'm rereading Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams for my current fan fiction project. Sookey is the maid for the Pollit household. The spelling is a little different but it's close enough for government work. Outiside of the names being similiar, I'm not sure if there is any other significance. It's been a long time since I last read the play. Maybe Sookie's adopted parents thought the name would make some type of statement?
TomSpeed

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Jun 26th 2003, 10:51 am

This film is only just on UK release. I'm hoping my local independent cinema (which I totally love - can't bear the multiplexes now) will show it... I've heard good things about it from both friends and the press, so will definitely be seeing it.

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com
---------------------------------------------

Angela_Catalano
Between Names

Post by Angela_Catalano » Sep 9th 2004, 4:57 pm

I just got to see Igby goes down. I like claire in it. Its a very different role for her. Im not sure if I liked that movie that much, but I enjoy seeing MSCL people in there other roles!

whitespy12
Three Rivers Resident

Post by whitespy12 » Sep 10th 2004, 3:00 pm

Igby Goes Down is an amazing film. I got to see it a little over a week ago on Cinemax, and just today I purchased the DVD. Claire did a great job in this movie. I also really liked Kieran Culken and Jeff Goldblum's performances.
"I'm hungry, I want eggs" - Claire Danes' impression of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Late Night with Conan O'Brien (January 22, 2003)