MSCL Reading List

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
KrokRos
Angela's best friend

MSCL Reading List

Post by KrokRos » Mar 10th 2003, 9:11 pm

Is there another thread about this? I couldn't find it but I'm sure I read something about it before.

What books are mentioned in the show?

...Anne Frank, yeah, she got me to read that one. :)

What else?
  • The List:
    Anne Frank
    Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
    Malcolm X
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
    Shakespears' Sonnets
    The Change: Women, Aging, and the Menopause - Germaine Greer
    As You Like It - William Shakespeare
    Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
    The Odyssey - Homer
    Our Town - Thornton Wilder
    Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmond
    In Dreams Begin Responsibilities - Delmore Schwartz
    Charles Dickens (not clear which book - Miss Lerner refers to "Mr. Dickens' world of dark factories, grey skies, lost souls" which could be a Tale of Two Cities, Hard Times, etc)
    Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
    Original title "Pippi Långstrump"
    Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    Redbook
    Batman
    The Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum
I'll keep adding them up.

So, have you read any of them? Would you like to share your thoughts? Please.. :)
Last edited by KrokRos on Apr 9th 2003, 2:13 pm, edited 8 times in total.
----------------
Make it count.

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Re: MSCL Readinglist

Post by sine » Mar 10th 2003, 10:02 pm

KrokRos wrote:What books are mentioned in the show?

...Anne Frank, yeah, she got me to read that one. :)

What else?
In the pilot there's this big fuss going on about the yearbook... but I don't know if that counts... :wink:

OT: KrokRos, I believe we are "timezone neighbours" so if it's late at night here it must be the same case there -- so shouldn't we be sound asleep right now? Well, I tried that sleeping thing but had to give up and decided to log in to the forum and go surf the web instead -- surely beats lying in the bed listening the clock tick, tick, tick.. :wink: What's your story? Nightshift?

Anyways, I try to go through the transcripts for the books.

Good night, everybody!

INFO ADDED:
  • * Shakespeare's Sonnets, of course!
    * I saw the episode 18, Weekend, recently and wasn't Patty reading a novel on couch (at Warren's) while waiting for the others return from the town?
Last edited by sine on Mar 11th 2003, 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 11th 2003, 1:12 am

Interesting thread. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is "Of Mice And Men" which Mr. Racine wanted to talk with Jordan about.

:idea:
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Mar 11th 2003, 5:11 am

sine - I LOVE you're nick! Do you know 'Jenny' (and Jane/Sheena) becomes Sìne in Scots-Gealic (spoken in Scotland)? I am taking a course, right now.

Well, about the time... It was just before I got on to bed. I got caught up in a couple of forums, I've found one for Gilmore Girls as-well and they reply like maniacs. My bf was trying to fix his xbox and didn't wanna get to sleep either. And I guess the time just flew by.
The bad thing about staying awake so late is that I get frustratingly hungry. But otherwise I'd say I do my best thinking after eleven p.m.

So, I read Of Mice and Men in highschool. Parallell to watching the film, in class. It was for English class(Yes, I had to learn English). Come to think of it, both characters in "Of Mice and Men" was played by actors from... no wait. I'm mixing it up. It was John Malkovich. But Gary Sinise is in both OMAM and "The Stand" which I loved. I think this was the first time saw Gary Sinise.

Nevermind. Just wanted to say that I read "Of Mice and Men" and it is a good book. It's a bit akward when you're a twelwe year old but I think I'd appreciate it more now. Maybe I should re-read it.

//Geezes, my spelling. I had to edit this post.
Last edited by KrokRos on Mar 11th 2003, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------------
Make it count.

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Mar 11th 2003, 5:12 am

sine - I meant to say that, that is my name. 'Jenny'.
----------------
Make it count.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 11th 2003, 9:53 am

From the MSCL Bible availible elsewhere on the site:

3. What literary references have been used?

The following works have been referred to, quoted, or featured:
1.1 - The Diary of Anne Frank (Anne Frank)
1.5 - The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)
1.6 - Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
1.7 - The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Malcolm X)
1.7 - The Change: Women, Aging, and the Menopause (Germaine Greer)
1.12 - Sonnet 130 (William Shakespeare)
1.12 - As You Like It (William Shakespeare)
1.14 - Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
1.16 - The Odyssey (Homer)
1.17 - Our Town (Thornton Wilder)
1.19 - Cyrano de Bergerac (Edmond \) *indirect allusion*

Sorry I know this is cheating and all! :D
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 11th 2003, 10:00 am

In Father Figures, when Graham and Patty are in their bedroom and Patty shows Graham a book that she found, and he starts to read it laughing while he tells Patty about the Dead concert, did they ever mention the title of that book? Wasn't it some trashy romance novel?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 11th 2003, 10:32 am

Our Town is the play in which Rayanne acts.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 11th 2003, 10:33 am

mglenn wrote:From the MSCL Bible availible elsewhere on the site:

3. What literary references have been used?

The following works have been referred to, quoted, or featured:
1.1 - The Diary of Anne Frank (Anne Frank)
1.5 - The Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka)
1.6 - Of Mice and Men (John Steinbeck)
1.7 - The Autobiography of Malcolm X (Malcolm X)
1.7 - The Change: Women, Aging, and the Menopause (Germaine Greer)
1.12 - Sonnet 130 (William Shakespeare)
1.12 - As You Like It (William Shakespeare)
1.14 - Cat's Cradle (Kurt Vonnegut)
1.16 - The Odyssey (Homer)
1.17 - Our Town (Thornton Wilder)
1.19 - Cyrano de Bergerac (Edmond \) *indirect allusion*

Sorry I know this is cheating and all! :D
I used to love open book tests. You go mglenn!
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 11th 2003, 10:37 am

Megs wrote:In Father Figures, when Graham and Patty are in their bedroom and Patty shows Graham a book that she found, and he starts to read it laughing while he tells Patty about the Dead concert, did they ever mention the title of that book? Wasn't it some trashy romance novel?
The title isn't mentioned. I thought it might be Peyton Place or The Carpetbaggers. Of course, it could be any good, trashy novel.
TomSpeed

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Mar 11th 2003, 3:59 pm

for books having to do with mscl -
i would include the short story "in dreams begin responsibilities" by delmore scharz because it's the NAME of the final episode. the similarities between the story and the ep. are not literal but nonetheless interesting. see the thread about episode names if you want to know more about it.

sine
Three Rivers Resident

Post by sine » Mar 11th 2003, 8:24 pm

Thanks, mglenn, for the MSCL Bible literary list! Of course that would have been the first place to look for the references :oops: But the list may be missing at least that Weekend episode book, and also wasn't there a book or books in Grahams' arms before the "My breasts have come between us"-dialogue with Angela in the pilot? Could someone with the DVD's check if names of the books or authors are visible, please. :)
KrokRos wrote:sine - I LOVE you're nick! Do you know 'Jenny' (and Jane/Sheena) becomes Sìne in Scots-Gealic (spoken in Scotland)? I am taking a course, right now.
Hey, that's cool! No, I didn't know that connention between the names (obviously I haven't studied enough Scots-Gealic :wink:) The story behind my nick: I wanted the nick to be an androgynous one, so I chose the name of everyone's favourite(!?) transcendental function, only to later find out that Sine is also very much a female name.
KrokRos wrote:The bad thing about staying awake so late is that I get frustratingly hungry. But otherwise I'd say I do my best thinking after eleven p.m.
Yeah, nighttime can be very stimulating and inspiring for creative work and it's also great time for studying/reading books as there're usually less distracting elements around than during day. Interesting point you got there with getting hungry while staying awake! I tend to drink tea and eat pretty heavily before bed-time, which isn't necessarily wise if a good night's sleep is what I'm after, but it gives nicely fuel to work/read/putter late into the night if necessary. :)
Last edited by sine on Mar 11th 2003, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G: it's a problem, when everybody is spitting in the same spittoon (I mean cuspidor). are you following my drift?
D: barely, but let's pretend that I am

-- New Planet, Milwaukee Youth Center Choir

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 11th 2003, 8:43 pm

Megs wrote:In Father Figures, when Graham and Patty are in their bedroom and Patty shows Graham a book that she found, and he starts to read it laughing while he tells Patty about the Dead concert, did they ever mention the title of that book? Wasn't it some trashy romance novel?
Patty simply refers to it as "a dirty book," which prompts Graham to ask, "What book?" She tosses it to him and warns, "I want that back," and Graham begins reading it (and giggling) while she continues complaining.
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

KrokRos
Angela's best friend

Post by KrokRos » Mar 12th 2003, 3:43 am

I'm waiting to get TomSpeed's book confirmed. As well as the other not completely confirmed titles and authors.
----------------
Make it count.

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 12th 2003, 10:12 am

Hmmm. I was only guessing about the title of the trashy novel. I figure it has to be something old that was racy for its day but would seem tame now. The two books I mentioned came to mind. I figure that it has to be something other than a run-of-the mill romance book because Patty kept it. Also, it might be something Graham has heard of before or maybe read. He seemed to go right to what could be a racy part of the book.
TomSpeed