Sorority Life on MTV

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 1st 2003, 1:10 pm

What happened to music on MTV? I suppose the MTV's ratings are OK since they keep putting shows like this one on the air. But don't people miss music videos?
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 1st 2003, 7:35 pm

Megs wrote:
GaryEA wrote:
The sorority depicted is a local sorority which is not affiliated with any National Panhellenic Conference group or any other national organization.
So was it a fake sorority, or just some lone cathouse trying to play house?
I think that the sorority depicted on Sorority Life was a local sorority, and therefore not a member of the NPC. That was the only way they could get a sorority to do the show, as that website alluded to, it was against the rules of the NPC to show the pledging process on TV.
My understanding is that the first season's sorority is not part of the national panhellenic group. They are a fairly new sorority at UC Davis with a Jewish emphasis and I think they only have one other chapter at SDSU.

As far as this season's sorority, they are a local sorority (meaning it isn't a big national sorority with a name that most people would recognize like Delta Delta Delta, Gamma Phi Beta, Delta Gamma, etc.) which is unique to only that campus. Local Greeks are usually found at small colleges.

What was shown during the first season would not violate the NPC rule regarding the pledge process per se because they did not show any of the rituals or "secrets" unique to the sorority. The show focused on part of the pledge class that was selected by MTV to live in the MTV pledge house. At most, they showed some of the meetings (boring but no secrets revealed) and discussed some basic rules (no drinking, drugs, or parties at the pledge house). MTV was there for the drama of their personal lives, not to expose the sorority stuff that non-members aren't supposed to see. I'm sure that the sorority and MTV discussed in great length what could and could not be shown. The rule that the NPC referred to was not portraying the sorority in a negative light, which apparently translates to "being drunk on tv."
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

NIGHTJESSI
Angelica

Post by NIGHTJESSI » Mar 3rd 2003, 4:19 am

Sammi, I initially wasn't into the original Sorority Life even though I am a sucker for MTV's The Real World, Road Rules and the challenges that ensue between the two shows. I have to fill that guilty TV quota each week somehow! Then in typical MTV fashion, a marathon of SL in the middle of S1 hooked me. I was skeptical on watching SL Two as well as the premiere of Fraternity Life, but I did find myself tuning in for both on Wednesday night and I think I am going to continue watching both. Also, I had a chance to see the reunion show of the first SL cast and found it interesting. Did you get a chance to see that?
"When you drink from the cup of life, chug." ~ Citibank billboard

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Mar 3rd 2003, 2:43 pm

Yes I did get a chance to see the reunion show and I found it quite interesting especially Mara's comments. I think both Jordan and Mara were kind of treated badly by some of the girls, especially the one that became the Vice President and the Formal (I can't remember her name, the short hair blond girl with glasses that said Jordan is just here for the cameras). I am watching SL2 and FL1 because like you I generally watch the Real World/Road Rules/Battle stuff.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 3rd 2003, 3:06 pm

Sammi wrote:I think both Jordan and Mara were kind of treated badly by some of the girls, especially the one that became the Vice President and the Formal (I can't remember her name, the short hair blond girl with glasses that said Jordan is just here for the cameras).
I agree that Jordan and Mara (and Candace) were picked on, and like I said before, my theory is that the actives were focusing their negative attention on the girls they perceived as a threat, meaning the prettier girls. Notice that DeDe and Amanda didn't get in nearly as much trouble, despite the fact that they got drunk with Jordan, Candace, and Mara on more than one occassion.

I know there will always be people who say that Candace, Jordan, and Mara aren't really that pretty, but they are the attention getters in a bar as opposed to some of the less conventionally attractive actives who were usually shown at the bars huddled together rather than socializing with the guys. I guess the strictest definition should really have to do with who gets more attention rather than who is prettier, but either way it's the girls who are perceived as "threatening" who got picked on.

Notice this season, some of the actives already say they hate Brooke and one of the actives made a comment about how "the pretty girls act like they don't have to try as hard" to impress the actives. Meow!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Mar 6th 2003, 12:45 am

Just watched Sorority Life 2 episode 2, talk about drama. I don't know how those pledges are going to live in that house without killing each other. What do y'all think about the dresser/closet space issue? Do you think MTV purposely made space for clothing so scarce to create problems. Janel was a little bit more likeable this episode, but I still think she is a *. I am glad that Brooke made the sorority because I think that she is a really sweet person. I feel sorry for the pledges though, because it looks like hell week/semester is about to start. Honestly I don't know why I watch these kinds of shows, I guess I like the drama.

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 6th 2003, 12:55 am

I haven't seen the show yet, seemed to me like it would be boring rich bitch crap. And really they aren't pledging pledging, i'm sure their hell week is really dull.

I never got the whole fascination with the 'greek' life in school. Though I guess if you have to buy your friends....

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 6th 2003, 1:36 pm

Ditto to what Fnordboy said!!!!!!
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 6th 2003, 4:13 pm

I was an "Independent" in college. I had some friends in frats and sororities. So, I had a taste of Greek life. The biggest thing about the Greek life is that the connections you make while in college could help you later on. If a job comes down to a Pike brother and non-Pike brother, the Pike brother should, in theory, get the job.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 2nd 2003, 3:34 pm

Wow, we haven't talked about this show for three months?!

I admit, I wasn't watching every week because I was tired of listening to all the whining.

And this is really mean, but how freaking hilarious was it when Julie's tattoo was done incorrectly?! If my friends were with me and saw that something was spelled wrong and DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING, I would be pretty mad at them. How priceless is it when JEWELZ becomes JEW-LEZ? You can't plan for serendipitous mistakes like that!

Anyway, I thought that the finale was lame - they crammed a trip to New Orleans and initiation all into one episode? Weird. And singing "You've Got a Friend"? Puke. And some of the girls crying while they sang "You've Got a Friend"? Gag me with a spoon!

A great website to check out: http://www.doublesweetie.com

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 2nd 2003, 3:44 pm

Ok well I got hooked on it since I last posted, mainly because I started reading the recaps on TWOP and it drew me in. I think I was able to watch every episode from this season, and I was (guiltily) anticipating the finale...but god what a let down. Worst. Ending. Ever.

And of course now I will go and watch the fraternity life finale this week since I got suckered into this.

Ugh I don't think there is a reality show on MTV besides Road Rules and the later Real World eps that I don't watch.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 2nd 2003, 3:50 pm

I haven't watched any of the new Road Rules or Real World Paris stuff...yet! It's still early enough in the season that I can get caught up quickly, but the question is do I really WANT to do that? Interestingly, the last Real World (Las Vegas) seemed like it had the most fighting and hookups ever, but it was the most BORING season ever IMHO. I kept thinking that the drama would translate into something interesting, but alas, I was truly disappointed!

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Jun 2nd 2003, 4:59 pm

candygirl wrote:I haven't watched any of the new Road Rules or Real World Paris stuff...yet! It's still early enough in the season that I can get caught up quickly, but the question is do I really WANT to do that? Interestingly, the last Real World (Las Vegas) seemed like it had the most fighting and hookups ever, but it was the most BORING season ever IMHO. I kept thinking that the drama would translate into something interesting, but alas, I was truly disappointed!
I haven't seen any of the new Road Rules and the Real World Paris doesnt start until this week I believe, they did do a special on it last week but I only watched the last few mins of it before Sorority Life :)

I didn't like the Las Vegas one at all, the little I had seen. They are making Real World too much about sex IMO. They get these "good looking" people and throw them in a sweet apt and let them start banging the hell out of each other. The drama is just not the same when it is all centered around sex and who is hooking up with who. Out of the recetn seasons I much prefer how New Orleans was or even Hawaii (which I couldn't stand at first but ended up getting into). Maybe it is because I have been a Real World watcher since the first season, and have watched its debasement. New Orleans gave me a false sense of hope that they were going to get better, but have yet fulfilled that.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Jun 2nd 2003, 5:55 pm

Last week was the first Road Rules episode, plus they aired some lame Real World casting special. I deliberately didn't watch either of them - I accidentally saw a little of each while I was channel surfing but changed the channel before I could see enough to get hooked (or annoyed).

I can't remember the last Real World that I really liked - most of them were either boring or lame. Even the drama and screaming and instigating really isn't that entertaining. I did watch the Hawaii season because I read that some of them got naked in the first episode and thought that sounded promising, but Ruthie's denial about her alcoholism really grated on me. Nice to see that she had her head on straight when she was on the RR/RW Challenge this season.

I did like the first seasons of the Real World and Road Rules. I don't think it was simply the novelty either. What I really liked about both of those first seasons is that the casts seemed to get along and like each other (despite occassional squabbles which were more frequent on RR than RW). There is no one from either of those original casts that I can say I flatout don't like at all. These days it seems like they are all trying too hard, plus they are casting stereotypes. Bottom line - boring!