The game of Go

As the forum title implies: This is the forum for "anything else" which doesn't fit into one of the other forums.
fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 5th 2003, 11:43 am

mglenn wrote:Board Games: Monopoly, Othello, Life... But the current rage it Go
Can you recommend any good online resources for a good Go set? I have been trying to find something of good quality but no look as of yet.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 6th 2003, 10:42 am

I built my own board and use glass beads that the sell at the local craft store for planting flowers in water jars. 3 bags of white and black each cost me less than $10 and the wood for the board was bought at the local Lowes Home Improvement for about $25. With that I was able to make two fullsize boards and two small 9x9 boards. The extra boards were a gift to my Brother.

So I've never bought anything online. But I have seen several places:

A cheap starter set

Really Good Go stuff

more reasonably priced Go Equimpent

Go suppliers from around the world

If I think of it when I'm home I'll snap a few pics of the board I made and post them. I'm currently looking for a good set of wooden bowls to keep the chips in.

The reason for the fruglness is that I'm currently remodling my house and have most of my funds wrapped up in that.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Mar 6th 2003, 12:30 pm

I've never heard of Go before, but those links that you gave made it sound quite interesting. I think I might make a board for my boyfriend for his birthday because this sounds like a game we could have a lot of fun playing.

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Post by sid_barrett » Mar 7th 2003, 3:10 am

mglenn has the right idea. i did find a nice board that was chaep at a local gamong shop. any comic shop that carries games like D&D should have a nice set available, for big $$$ though.
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 7th 2003, 11:15 am

Heh... reminds me of the movie Pi.

:D

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 7th 2003, 2:22 pm

GaryEA wrote:Heh... reminds me of the movie Pi.

:D

Gary
Yep, that was my first experience with seeing the game of Go. It intrigued me then and just recently I have renewed my interest in it.

BTW: Pi kick much ass :)

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 7th 2003, 3:32 pm

Its funny. Pi was my first intro to Go as well. And the week I saw it I also read a small blurp in Linux Journal about how it was becoming the next AI game of study. They stated that no two games of Go have ever been alike, like snowflakes each one is unique, and that the possiblities of game play are higher than the number of atoms in the universe.

Cool stuff in my warped mind!
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand