Were the boards down yesterday?

Comments/questions about the site or the forum? Post them here. Additionally you'll find here important announcements and news releases from MSCL.com.
GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Were the boards down yesterday?

Post by GaryEA » Mar 5th 2003, 4:51 pm

Pretty self-explanitory thread; Yesterday (3/4), I could not get onto the boards. Just a "page not found" prompt.

I'm only curious, and glad you guys are still here. Thought I was kicked off the island or something... :wink:

Gary

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 5th 2003, 5:20 pm

They were down most of the day. I exhibited many withdrawal symptoms. Maybe I'm posting too much? Somebody pull me away from the keyboard.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 5th 2003, 6:35 pm

Thanks Tom. And for crying out loud - get away from that desk!

:D

Gary

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 5th 2003, 6:37 pm

No you are both imagining that they were down. In fact these boards never existed and you are just imaging these words on your screen right now.

Hello. I am your subconscious thoughts. Nice to meet you.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 5th 2003, 9:25 pm

Hello. I am your subconscious thoughts. Nice to meet you.
:shock:

Well, that explains the headache... :wink:

Gary

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 5th 2003, 9:34 pm

There's no man behind that curtain!

:wink:
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 6th 2003, 6:59 am

Yeah, the server was down the other day. This happens from time to time as MSCL.com runs on one of Mike's PCs at home. So sometimes there occurs a technical problem and MSCL.com is unreachable. The huge advantage is: We don't have to pay for webhosting (=> no annoying ad banners, no pop-ups necessary) and we have an entire server to "play" with :-) I don't know whether MSCL.com would still exist the way it does now if it weren't for Mike's kind offer.

But don't worry, in 99% of all cases, the server will be back within 24 hours. If not, we'll post a message at http://news.mscl.com (which runs on another server). And Mike is continually working on eliminating causes for downtimes.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 6th 2003, 10:13 am

As many of you know, and those that don't will now :D , I work for Armstrong Cable Services. "One wire infinite possiblities!". And as such I get my internet connection for free and since I helped build the network I get special abilities like a blown open cable modem.

But on the downside I am one of the first people that new modem configs and other experiments get tried on! This last outage was the result of such an experiment. The modem boys were testing a new config on my wireless cable modem and when they loaded it happened to be during the time that the server tried to renew its ip address with the DHCP server. The server tends to freak out when it can't get to the DHCP server and just gives up without ever retrying.

I'm working on a script to run every hour or so to look to see that the server still has an ip and if not to retry the DHCP server. This should minimize the issue to at most an hour or so of downtime. As long as my cable modem is still functioning.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Re: Were the boards down yesterday?

Post by K-man » Mar 6th 2003, 1:05 pm

GaryEA wrote:
I'm only curious, and glad you guys are still here. Thought I was kicked off the island or something... :wink:

Gary
Yes Gary; the tribe has spoken. :wink:
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

board down

Post by lance » Mar 7th 2003, 11:21 am

Hey all,

Glad to know that the board is back up and I don't have to go cold turkey.

Best,

Lance Man

Megs
Lifehead

Re: board down

Post by Megs » Mar 7th 2003, 11:42 am

lance wrote:Hey all,

Glad to know that the board is back up and I don't have to go cold turkey.

Best,

Lance Man
I always get scared that the IT guys have become aware of my addiction and firewall me out of the board. :twisted:

Then I come to my senses and breathe a huge sigh of relief once I can get back in. I have added the other site to my Favorites in case it happens again, so I don't freak. :)
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 7th 2003, 11:55 am

Yes Gary; the tribe has spoken. :wink:
Aw dammit!

(puts his name in the bucket, waves to everyone and leaves in a long, brooding slow-mo camera shot)

To camera (interview): I had fun, but it wasn't easy. lance sure as hell wanted me out because I didn't type enough. I hope he enjoys the cash if he wins. K-Man is insane, swinging on the vine off the tree like he did. Cost me the immunity challenge. But I guess it's all about who's insane enough to survive.

:D :D :D

Gary

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 7th 2003, 1:08 pm

Gary, you forgot the shot where Jeff snuffs your torch before the walk of shame.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Mar 7th 2003, 1:59 pm

LOL. I was wondering what that smell was...

:D

Gary

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 7th 2003, 3:49 pm

I'm sorry if you guys continue to talk about TV's lowest common denominator, and scum off the bottom of the TV barrel I may be forced to lock this thread. I can't have you talking about such things on a board dedicated to the highest quality of TV shows you know.... :P

And yes I've never watched survivor and never will. Its a status symbol like those people who have never seen Star Wars. Although I think those people are just plain dump.

Side note: I saw a good quote on slashdot today that said:
Why did my television suddenly decided that I want to see three Jacko Documentaries a week?
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand