Has Jerry Maguire copied MSCL ?!

Found a reference to "My So-Called Life" in a book, movie, tv show or somewhere else? Then post here!
SarahHall82
Tino

Has Jerry Maguire copied MSCL ?!

Post by SarahHall82 » Jul 9th 2000, 1:17 pm

I was watching the film, Jerry Maguire the other day when I noticed an amazing similarity between it and MSCL in this one scene. Well, in the pilot episode when Angela runs out into the road and Brian is just standing there with his hands in his pockets and she's all cross-legged and it's like a silloutte...you get the picture- it's on the opening page of MSCL.COM where you have to choose between high or low loading thing. Anyway...God I'm blabbering, in Jerry Maguire, Jerry is taking Dorothy out and he's waiting for her in the street when she runs out and I swear they totally copied the idea because it looks like exactly the same sillouette. I was not impressed I can tell you! If you don't believe me or think that I'm a raving, looney (understandably) then check it out for yourself.
Not quite sure what replies I'm looking for...just some I guess !
Sarah :-)

mia
Yearbook Team

I noticed that, too!!!!!

Post by mia » Jul 9th 2000, 4:59 pm

I mentioned it the first time I saw it, and the people I was with said something like "Oh, that's a very common scen." But I don't think so. I completely agree with your perception!!!!!!

You know, with your <font color=red>hair</font color=red> like that? It hurts to look at you.

oldguy
Substitute Teacher

Re: I noticed that, too!!!!!

Post by oldguy » Jul 10th 2000, 2:42 am

Well I've been blasted on this page before for making
weird associations to MSCL --- so I can relate. I
don't know if you know it, but Winnie Holzman, the
creator of MSCL, appears in a scene in Jerry Maguire.
So who knows?

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

winnie holzman in jerry maguire

Post by Sascha » Jul 10th 2000, 4:54 am

That reminds me of what writer/director Cameron Crowe of JERRY MAGUIRE said about casting Winnie Holzman (Geez, there's so much stuff I want to put on the website, but so little time...):

"There are so many talented comediennes that you see on television every week," explains Crowe, "and I wondered what it would be like to get a bunch of them into a room and let them act together. So I got Larina Adamson, Winnie Holzman, Diana Jordan, Susan Norfleet, Susan Pingleton, Cha Cha Sandoval and Hynden Walch, together with Bonnie, and just watched them explode. They were on fire the minute they got together in the room to audition."

Sascha

SarahHall82
Tino

Re: winnie holzman in jerry maguire

Post by SarahHall82 » Jul 10th 2000, 4:48 pm

Wasn't Winnie Holzman one of the women in the divorced womens group ? Now that you mention it I even think I remember one of her lines..'And with all these holidays coming up, it's just making me feel more divorced!' .I may be wrong but somewhere in my mind I recall that being the line of someone who probably is Winnie Holzman.
I'm glad that other people noticed that similarity in the scene and it's not just me going crazy over MSCL...yet again. Sometimes I think I just pick up on things without them actually existing.
Sarah :-)

mia
Yearbook Team

Oh, my dear Patrick...

Post by mia » Jul 10th 2000, 10:54 pm

I didn't mean for you to feel "blasted." I was just in a smart-aleck mood that day. I hope you don't hold it against me...

You know, with your <font color=red>hair</font color=red> like that? It hurts to look at you.

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Jul 11th 2000, 11:21 am

Yup, Winnie was one of the divorced women. And the director has admitted that the street scene was directly insprired from MSCL, and even hinted that it was to show that that the director (Crowe) felt that Brian would win Angela in the end...

Mike Glenn
Project Manager for MSCL.COM

mia
Yearbook Team

Cool!

Post by mia » Jul 11th 2000, 3:37 pm

So we WEREN'T imagining it!!!!

socalledfan
Angela's best friend

Post by socalledfan » Mar 19th 2002, 3:08 pm

I'm just reading old threads today, and came across this. I think that is SO COOL! I always had respect for Cameron Crowe...I mean, the man made "Say Anything"...so therefore, he's a genius. ;-) But now, I like him so much more, cause he's an MSCL fan! Sweet!

-Socalledfan

"You're so beautiful, it hurts to look at you."