The Games We Play

If you want to share some events in your life or thoughts about life in general with other MSCL fans or if you just want post a rant to let some steam off - this is the place.
Forum Newbies: Please introduce yourself here!
Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

The Games We Play

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 5th 2003, 8:32 am

This topic was covered briefly in some of the other polls, but I wanted to expand on it.

I know I can't list all of mine, but these are just a few to get started...
  • Board Games: Monopoly, Axis And Allies, Therapy, Stratego, and even Buffy The Vampire Slayer :oops:
  • Role Playing Games: Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd edition)
  • Collectable Card Games: Magic: The Gathering
  • Console Video Games: I haven't owned a console system since PS1, and come to think of it, most of the console games that I really liked were made for the PC anyway, so...
  • PC Games: X-COM, Pirates!, Command & Conquer, Sim City, The Sims, Sim Ant, hell, Sim anything!, Civilization, etc.
Feel free to add more categories (sports, party games, mind games :twisted: ) and comment on why you like a certain game, funny things that happened while playing a game, or whatever.

:)
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 5th 2003, 9:41 am

Board Games: Monopoly, Othello, Life... But the current rage it Go
An Introduction to Go
The American Go Asso.

RPG: Back in the day it was all D&D.

Collectable Card Games: Played some Magic in college, but never bought my own deck.

Console Video Games: Navy Seals SOCOM, GTA3 and GTA3 Vice City

PC Games: Do you know how many hours of my life were wasted playing X-COM, C&C, Simcity and Civilization???

New Section - Outside Games: Use to play Release the Beldrum with all my friends and cousins. Its like team on team hide and go seek.
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 5th 2003, 9:59 am

mglenn wrote:PC Games: Do you know how many hours of my life were wasted playing X-COM, C&C, Simcity and Civilization???
Yeah, but it was all worth it to see that Sectoid autopsy, wasn't it? They always made the most satisfying death wails...

:wink:
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Mar 5th 2003, 10:15 am

A group of friends and I used to waste countless hours playing Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Life, Battleship, Chess, Othello, Gin Rummy, etc., etc. I play a lot of Monopoly, Stratego, and Risk now. I also am a big Sim City fan. I want to get Sim City 4, but I'll need to get a new computer to be able to play it. My computer is over 5 years old. It's already giving me a lot of problems. I'm probably a pretty good Monopoly player. I'm very active on a Monopoly ladder. Being a good Monopoly player doesn't really get you anything. However, I still get a great deal of satisfaction when a strategy works well and I bankrupt my opponent. Sometimes, the luck involved in the game is insane, particularly if you play 1 against 1. It's a fun and challenging game.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 5th 2003, 10:42 am

I used to play lots of Monopoly and Clue when I was younger. But my favorite "offline" games are still simple card games (Rummy etc). I've tried to learn chess a few years ago, but I'm somehow not patient enough :)

On the PC, I love games like Sim City, Settlers and Civilization. They've cost me months of my life :) I also have the new Sim City 4, but I'm a little bit disappointed. I have an Athlon XP1600 with 512 MB RAM, but the graphics are still too slow in bigger cities (okay, I have only a small Matrox G450 graphic card which might be a problem) and it's not as addictive as the earlier versions (or maybe I'm too old now ;-)).

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Mar 5th 2003, 11:17 am

Great thread!

Well, board games wise, I've just become addicted to Backgammon and I wopped someone's behind playing on the internet yesterday... also play scrabble and chinese checkers which is really tricky when you've got 6 players! I love Pictionary too.

RPG: when I was a kid I was hopelessly addicted to The Bard's Tale, and I have recently discovered the download on the internet so I'm addicted again.

Also, this is more of a :?: but I used to love a game which I think was called Radiation Leak (on PC) which basically involved radioactive particles in a maze, which you had to strategically block in with barrells to save the people in the maze, before they contaminated them. You had a set amount of time to do it. Note: we are talking about circa 1985 Amstrad Green Screen 6128 here. I can't find any information on it at all but it was the coolest game.

Maybe if we find a game everyone loves we could set up a gamers room in one of the sites and play each other :?:

---------------------------------------------
http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

fnordboy
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by fnordboy » Mar 5th 2003, 11:41 am

Board Games: Monopoly (Powerpuff Girls Edition), Simpsons Clue, Chess, Trivial Pursuit

Card Games: Uno, Rummy 500,

Collectible Card Games: Haven't played one of these in many years but I use to play Rage, Jyhad, Animayhem, and I started playing Magic the Gathering when it first came out about 10 years agoor so. I use to go to a lot of RPG conventions and I remember showing people how to play the game it was so unknown even then. Once it got big I sold all my Alpha cards and made a few hundred dollars, kept one playing deck that I have to this day (black and red).

RPG: I like to have my girlfriend dress up like a nurse.....oh :shock: you mean that kind of roleplaying game :? . I use to play a lot, but not really anymore. I use to play Shadowrun, Vampire: The Masquerade, I play tested the live action Vampire rpg when it was good before they ruined it on its release, D&D, AD&D and other random ones.

(Console) Video Games: GTA3, Vice City, .hack, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1-4, and I need to get DOA: Beach Volleyball (but that would require buying an X-box.

Computer games: besides the obvious Snood, Bejeweled, Q-beez, I like to frag the n00bs on Gore: The Ultimate Soldier, hands down the best FPS IMO.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

games

Post by lance » Mar 5th 2003, 11:53 am

Nostradamus

Great thread!

Board Games
My wife and I occasionally host game nights were we invite people over to eat and play board games. I love to play Axis & Allies, Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit. Once a week a bunch of guys play Star Force Terra Contact.

Role Playing I don't play this games much anymore, more for time constraints than anything else. I used to play Dungeons & Dragons, Robotech and Rifts.

PC Games I just love them! I have a ton of games, Grad school is on break April 12th and I can't wait to get back to playing. Here is what is on my shelf: Aliens vs. Predator, Dune 2000, Farscape, Lords of Magic, Majesty, Masters of Orion II, Starcraft, Starcraft: Brood War, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Wars, Warcraft II, Warcraft II: Dark Portal, Warcraft III and Warlords: Battle Cry and Warlords Battle Cry II.

Best,

Lance Man

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 5th 2003, 12:07 pm

starbug wrote: Note: we are talking about circa 1985 Amstrad Green Screen 6128 here.
Hehe, the good old Amstrad machines. I had the Amstrad 464 with tape deck... but with a color monitor.... those were the days :-) Back when you could still program your own games :-) And computer magazines used to print lots of endless program source code which you had to hack yourself into your computer. The games were *so* simple, but some of them are more entertaining than todays games.

starbug
Lifehead

Post by starbug » Mar 5th 2003, 12:50 pm

sab wrote:Hehe, the good old Amstrad machines. I had the Amstrad 464 with tape deck... but with a color monitor.... The games were *so* simple, but some of them are more entertaining than todays games.
Yeah, my friend had one of those and he hooked it up to the TV. The tapes took like 5 minutes to load some really simple game, and all the while making this agonised fax-machine like noise. :D

I really prefer those simple but addictive games. *sigh* they just don't make them like they used to... I used to spend ages programming in games and being completely thrilled when they worked - I could just about understand BASIC after reading the manual but never enough to actually write anything myself.

When I was a kid I also had a game that looked like a pair of binoculars and when you held it up and looked into the eyepieces, there was a 3D game happening inside. the controls were on the top. Mine was one that was ships that looked like those things from star wars and you had to shoot them down before they hit you in the eyes. My brother had a shark attack one - same idea.

Ahhhh, all the old memories come flooding back :D

http://www.urban-hills.blogspot.com

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Mar 5th 2003, 2:32 pm

Board Game: Monopoly, Clue, and Scrabble

RPG: Rayearth for the Sega Saturn

PC Games: Don't play games on the PC

Video Games: DOA Extreme Beach Volleyball (Its incredibly addictive), Timesplitters 2, and Dynasty Warriors 3 (also incredibly addictive)

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 5th 2003, 3:26 pm

Monopoly(though it takes too long sometimes), UNO, and Bonkers.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

mglenn
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by mglenn » Mar 6th 2003, 10:30 am

I split the Go discussion off into its own thread here
"When I disagree with a rational man, I let reality be our final arbiter; if I am right, he will learn; if I am wrong, I will; one of us will win, but both will profit." - Ayn Rand

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 6th 2003, 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! :D
starbug wrote:Maybe if we find a game everyone loves we could set up a gamers room in one of the sites and play each other :?:
Good idea! Many classic boardgames, as well as text-based RPGs, are fairly easy to play over a posting board or via PM. Chess and Diplomacy come to mind, but I'd be open to many others. Does anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?
-- Clarence Darrow

-- Mark Twain

sid_barrett
Let's Bolt Regular

Re: The Games We Play

Post by sid_barrett » Mar 7th 2003, 3:16 am

[*]Board Games: Star Wars Trivial Pursuit- undefeated
[*]Role Playing Games: D&D
[*]Collectable Card Games: Magic: The Gathering, totaly addicted...cant...stop
[*]Console Video Games: have a Game Cube, but dont normaly use it for anything.
[*]PC Games: Asherons Call, online, Magic the Gathering online
"...and I said ' oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, what a feeling'"