Question about Shane and Jordan in Self-Esteem

General discussion about the nineteen episodes of "My So-Called Life". Note: Our episode guide can be found here.
inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Question about Shane and Jordan in Self-Esteem

Post by inhirnamy137 » Feb 26th 2003, 6:24 pm

Hello,

In the last part of the episode where Jordan is standing at his locker, before he walks up to Angela, is Shane encouraging Jordan to go over to Angela or is he making fun of Jordan for liking Angela? I couldn't really tell. Is he shocked that Jordan walkes off holding Angela's hand? What do you think?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 9:43 pm

I always thought that Shane was encouraging him. The look on his face is somewhat sympathetic and understanding. And Shane smiles along with the rest of the characters when Jordan and Angela are walking down the hall hand in hand.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 27th 2003, 2:54 pm

Good question.....not sure what Shane was saying/thinking. It does look a little like he is encouraging Jordan to 'walk over there' but given his behavior in the past I am not sure if that is the case.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 27th 2003, 3:25 pm

Maybe he changed his mind. Who knows. But he does look like he is smiling when Jordan and Angela walk away. If he wasn't encouraging him, why would he smile?
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Feb 28th 2003, 4:09 pm

i agree that shane is encouraging jordan. it's true that shane called angela "that weird girl" earlier in the episode, but i think it was more because he did not know angela's name that he said that, not because he truly has taken the time to decide that angela is weird. hel-lo! rayanne is the "out there," weird one of the two. i also wonder if perhaps shane saw angela coming out of the boiler room or knew in some other way that she was the girl down there with jordan. when shane asks who is down there, it's jordan who acts ahamed. it's quite possible that a good buddy of his would want him to pursue ANY girl, and would save the critical stage for later.

inhirnamy137
Nicky Driscoll

Post by inhirnamy137 » Feb 28th 2003, 5:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think Shane is encouraging Jordan also, because Jordan looks scared. It would have been really funny if Angela told him to beat it, instead of walking off with him. Angela was too nice and too infatuated for that. I love that scene neverless.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 28th 2003, 6:13 pm

It is a great scene.

SanDeE*
So-Called Addict

Post by SanDeE* » Mar 1st 2003, 12:35 am

Shane just really bugs me in general. "Catalano, let's GO." Right when Angela is trying to ask Jordan on a date. Could you get any ruder? Obviously Shane doesn't get any attention from any girl. Otherwise maybe he'd be more supportive or way-to-go for Jordan. Total loser. Sorry anyone who likes Shane. I'm done ranting now!
Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

~~Kristin~~

likelife
Liberty High Student

Post by likelife » Mar 1st 2003, 8:55 am

yeah, kristin, i agree that shane is an ass. i still think it's possible that shane was encouraging jordan in the hallway. hey, maybe he was saying something awful like, "dude, she likes you, you could totally get some ass!" ..... i wouldn't put it past him.
i think shane is sort of representative of the mindless jerks that jordan finds himself hanging out with. he knows there must be something better to do; why else would he always be sitting away from the crowd, like in halloween and the pikot? but he's jordan, so he's not gonna be proactive about finding a new friend group.

Sascha
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Sascha » Mar 1st 2003, 12:00 pm

The shooting script also doesn't say what Shane said to Jordan. My guess is he said something about how Jordan was looking at Angela, but didn't encourage or discourage him.

Here's the scene from the shooting script:

Code: Select all

MUSIC IN: BUFFALO TOM SONG, as...

RICKIE MAKES A DECISION, MOVES SLOWLY ACROSS THE HALL...

SERIES OF SHOTS: (ALL IN HALLWAY)

JORDAN: Leans against locker. Covertly folds the sonnet up and sticks it in his pocket as his BUDDIES APPROACH ANI) GREET HIM...

RICKIE: Standing at the drama club sign-up sheet. Nervously waiting till no one is watching. Hastily scrawls something...

RICKIE: MOVES OFF...

REVERSE: RAYANNE who has been watching. She waits till he's gone, goes up to the sign up sheet, reads...

THE SIGN-UP SHEET...WE SCAN NAMES TILL WE GET TO THE LAST ONE: "Enrique Vasquez"

RAYANNE: Smiles to herself, moves off towards...

ANGELA, Abyssinia and Sharon: THEY EMERGE from girls room.

ANGELAS POV: JORDAN... across the hall. With HIS BUDDIES.

ANGELA: Stares. Then. Forces herself to look away. Goes determinedly back to chatting and laughing. Suddenly...

RAYANNE AND RICKIE ARE NO LONGER PAYING ATTENTION... ANGELA now sees why:

JORDAN, across the hall, is staring at her. Shane and one of the other buddies flank him an either side, whispering words we'll never hear. Jordan doesn't seem to hear them either.

BRIAN, at the far end of the hall, takes an instinctive step towards Angela, but controls himself...

RAYANNE AND RICKIE also instinctively move in towards Angela, as though to protect her, but...

ANGELA, in deep shock, looks up. It's

JORDAN, coming across the hall, towards her. Across the great divide. In front of EVERYONE.

ANGELA: HER FACE

JORDAN: HIS FACE

HE REACHES HER. EVERYONE IS A WITNESS. KIDS. TEACHERS. SHARON. SHANE. RICKIE. RAYANNE. BRIAN.

They look at each other... Finally

JORDAN Can we... go somewhere?

ANGELA Sure.

And off they go, just as...

SHARON
	(moves towards them)
Angela, wait...
	(then, almost to
		herself...)
Don't forget the geometry
review...

And now we see Jordan very quietly take Angela's hand.

RAYANNE
Forget it. She already did.

And from their respective vantage points, Sharon, Rickie, Rayanne and Brian watch. As Angela and Jordan walk off, hand in hand.

FADE OUT

THE END

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 1st 2003, 9:59 pm

Wow, that shooting script reads like an Old West showdown at high noon! All it needs is some tumbleweed rolling across the hallway...

:P
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 3rd 2003, 5:08 am

Some other threads with Shane discussions that you might be interested in:

Shane
Jordan & Angela
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Mar 3rd 2003, 3:12 pm

Nostradamus wrote:Wow, that shooting script reads like an Old West showdown at high noon! All it needs is some tumbleweed rolling across the hallway...

:P
Yeah and some of that Clint Eastwood whistling/music. :D
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

nkatsa
Three Rivers Resident

Post by nkatsa » Mar 22nd 2003, 7:52 am

wow... thank you! i love that shooting script exerpt.
JORDAN, across the hall, is staring at her. Shane and one of the other buddies flank him an either side, whispering words we'll never hear. Jordan doesn't seem to hear them either.
damn. see, it's things like this that make me refuse to believe that jordan's just a cut-and-dry jerk. i truly believe that there are times when he's looking at her that the rest of the world just fades away and that his feelings are pretty deep too, we just don't really get to see them.

and yes, i think shane was definitely encouraging him... jordan did look kind of scared (one of the few times he ever looks nervous, which was just totally sweet and refreshing, in my opinion. a perfect perfect time for him to look vulnerable), and who knows? Maybe Shane shouldn't be pigeonholed either. Maybe he actually is Jordan's friend and can see that Jordan likes this girl. ;)
I bet you can actually die of embarrassment. I bet it's been medically proven.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 24th 2003, 8:57 pm

nkatsa wrote: Maybe Shane shouldn't be pigeonholed either. Maybe he actually is Jordan's friend and can see that Jordan likes this girl. ;)
In this particular scene, I agree with you. However, in other scenes Shane does come across as an ass. But I really feel that he was encouraging Jordan here. Especially when he gives that smile and face and looks at Jordan. I can't explain it, but the look definitely makes me believe that he is being encouraging.