Sorority Life on MTV

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Sorority Life on MTV

Post by Sammi » Feb 26th 2003, 7:04 pm

So is anyone going to watch Sorority Life Season 2 tonight? Did anyone like/watch Sorority Life Season 1?

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 26th 2003, 8:23 pm

You know, I had no idea that there was a Sorority House show, until this past weekend, where my girlfriend and sat like mental patients during the marathon.

Not sure if I liked it or not. Most of the time, when I wasn't slack-jawed at the fact that I was watching it in the first place, I sat there yelling the girls that high school was over. Grow up. Don't join if the only rule you're going to follow is last call.

If I'm not watching the Preppie Killer try to tell the universe that he's not a bad man, I'll probably check it out tonight. But nobody tell my girldfriend or I'll never hear the end of it... :D

Gary

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 26th 2003, 9:32 pm

Probably not. I am thinking about watching that trainwreck of a man on 20/20. Robert Blake.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 26th 2003, 10:33 pm

I admit that I watched Sorority Life last season.

:oops:

I think the most interesting aspect of last season was how the actives kept harping on the actions of the prettier pledges living in the house. Jordan and Candance were "spoken to" about their actions (e.g. getting drunk in public *gasp* at bars!) by the pledgemaster on more than one occassion, despite the fact that the other pledges were often with them, just as drunk, and almost as rambunctious.

Believe me, I'm not saying that anyone is innocent in this - EVERYONE was portrayed as pretty immature, but I thought it was ridiculous that only a few girls got in trouble for doing stuff that the entire pledge house was doing. Just goes to show - girls feel so threatened by anyone they perceive as prettier!
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 27th 2003, 9:57 am

I watched the first season, as well. I got into it during the marathons, b/c it was so funny to watch how girls cut each other up. Not funny, but you know what I mean. It's terrible how girls treat each other. Especially, like candygirl mentioned, girls that are perceived as prettier/smarter/more popular.

I watched a few minutes of Fraternity Life last night, before my husband took over control of the remote. (He says I watch the weirdest things. As if! Last Friday night I was watching Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and he thought I was crazy!)

I couldn't really stomach it. The questionaire part really bugged me. "Do you have a girlfriend?" "Would you not join if she told you not to?" What? What is that supposed to mean?

I don't think that I will watch Fraternity Life. I just couldn't relate at all. And it reminded me of why I didn't like most college-aged boys.
"I have all these dreams where I know exactly what to say. And you tell me, you know, that you forgive me."

K-man
Liberty High Graduate

Post by K-man » Feb 27th 2003, 2:46 pm

I admit that when I stumbled across Sor. Life as it began I thought "what a cool idea for a show". But then when i watched i got real bored real fast. Maybe it was the girls. Not sure but I just didn't like it. No way could I stomach a whole marathon of this.
Daddy sold the farm and they've killed my trees. K-man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 27th 2003, 2:52 pm

I thought the girls were catty and petty, but it turns out so are the guys! Did you catch the moment last night when one of the actives said of a previous pledge (who depledged due to his girlfriend), "Alex's girlfriend is a BITCH!!!! And I've only met her twice."

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

As far as asking the pledges if they have girlfriends or not, let's read the underlying message: "Can we tell you what to do? Or do you already have someone bossing you around?"

:roll:

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 28th 2003, 2:31 am

Something interesting to readhere

TomSpeed
Marshall Wannabe

Post by TomSpeed » Feb 28th 2003, 10:04 am

I'm shocked. Next thing you know someone will say pro wrestling is fake, too.
TomSpeed

Patty: If Rayanne's not seeing you, and we're not seeing you, who is seeing you?
Graham: And how much of you?
Angela: Dad!
Graham: Oh, I'm sorry! I asked a question about your life, didn't I? Woah, what came over me?
http://www.last.fm/user/TomSpeed/

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 28th 2003, 10:33 am

I always thought the girls were acting so that they could be on TV, but I never thought MTV would treat Sorority Life like the Real World.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 28th 2003, 10:37 am

candygirl wrote:Something interesting to readhere
It would be nice if they spelled "financial" right. :roll:

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 28th 2003, 12:26 pm

TomSpeed wrote:I'm shocked. Next thing you know someone will say pro wrestling is fake, too.
WHAT? YOU LIE!

Aww, you're raining on my parade man.

:wink:

After reading the brief article, I thought I'd comment...
The sorority depicted is a local sorority which is not affiliated with any National Panhellenic Conference group or any other national organization.
So was it a fake sorority, or just some lone cathouse trying to play house?
MTV employees enlisted the prospective members before recruitment and told them that they would receive a "rush wardrobe" and be on national TV if they would go through recruitment and pledge Sigma Alpha Epsilon Pi.
Does that seem like bribery to you? Or just greed being fulfilled? Besides, if you were a part of a real sorority, would you want those girls in your house?
The sorority itself received considerable finanacial compensation for signing the contract which allowed MTV to film the sorority and its activities.
I often seek finanacial help during tax time, which is a combonation of getting my records in order and getting a facial. Very soothing.
The pledge house was rented by MTV. The property was landscaped and decorated for the purpose of the 10-week segment. At the end of filming, the women had to move out.
I'm sorry, but nobody in the universe was under the impression that the girls would stay there forever. That would mean that they never left college.

However, if a large chain link fence with no door could be erected around the faux-Greek house, with the girls inside, the world would indeed be a better place. :D

Gary
Last edited by GaryEA on Feb 28th 2003, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Feb 28th 2003, 2:55 pm

GaryEA wrote:
The sorority depicted is a local sorority which is not affiliated with any National Panhellenic Conference group or any other national organization.
So was it a fake sorority, or just some lone cathouse trying to play house?
I think that the sorority depicted on Sorority Life was a local sorority, and therefore not a member of the NPC. That was the only way they could get a sorority to do the show, as that website alluded to, it was against the rules of the NPC to show the pledging process on TV.

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 28th 2003, 7:02 pm

Thanks Megs. I'll be honest in saying that I have clue what's behind sororities or fraternities, how they run, or even what it's like being a part of one. My college didn't have any.

Gary

Megs
Lifehead

Post by Megs » Mar 1st 2003, 10:43 am

GaryEA wrote:Thanks Megs. I'll be honest in saying that I have clue what's behind sororities or fraternities, how they run, or even what it's like being a part of one. My college didn't have any.

Gary
Me neither, G. I just read that somewhere. I am totally not a sorority type.