Buffy the Vampire Slayer

MSCL may be gone from the tv screen, but there are lots of good (and bad) new productions airing each week. Talk with other MSCL fans about your favorite shows or the shows you hate. Of course you can also discuss TV show DVD releases here.
Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 14th 2003, 3:06 pm

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about this yet - as long as they don't make Faith into some boring, goody-goody, redemptionista shadow of her former sassy self, then it should be good. The best part about this news is that we won't have Dawn the Vampire Slayer forced upon us - ugh!

It looks like most of the regular Buffy cast will not be regulars on the Faith show, but you never know what will happen. Their contracts are tied to Buffy, so it's possible that ME will renegotiate if they want to bring them along. From what I have read, Faith's series will NOT take place in Sunnydale due to the Buffy season finale (see below for the spoiler regarding that) and Willow, Xander, and Spike are almost certainly not going to be regulars. I don't know if that means Dawn is a possible regular or what though.

Buffy season/series finale spoiler & Spike/Angel spoilers below (nothing too spectacular, believe me)

The Hellmouth in Sunnydale will be closed in the S7 finale which is why there will be no need for a Slayer in Sunnydale.

Spike will not be killed in the finale (unclear on exactly what will happen s JM has said "you will hate" what Joss has decided to do for the finale).

Angel will appear in the finale (DB has not explicitly confirmed this, but he has made statements that imply it will happen).
Natasha aka candygirl :: MSCL.com

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.
You could have sex with me if you really want to help...I guess that's a "no"?

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Future of Buffy

Post by lance » Feb 14th 2003, 6:48 pm

Huh,

The buzz I heard was that James Marsden definately wants to be involved with something Buffie like beyond this season. Not a legal contract to continue on but perhaps an emotional one is the quote I am hearing.

As to Faith, hmm I understand your sentiments on this score. Yet to me it would be boring if she just played the same attitude from third season, no character growth. If she is to carry on the work of slayers, and a much reduced council, the responsibility might change her a bit.

Totally my speculation at this point.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 14th 2003, 6:57 pm

I'm pretty sure this is the quote you are thinking of:
Buffy (TV): James 'Spike' Marsters turned up at Creation's Sci-fi Media Convention this weekend in Sacramento, where he was asked what will happen at the end of the season:

"I finally found out myself what Joss is planning...and I'm SURE as hell not gonna tell you guys...but I will tell you guys that the end of this season is going to be...very romantic...very heartbreaking...and you guys are probably going to HATE it".

Has he signed on for a further season? "Contract wise... No... Personally.... Yes".
Info at the Buffy Cross & Stake website states, "At the end of Season 7 you will realize why JM would not be included [in the Faith spinoff]."

Here's hoping that we'll still see Spike (and Clem) next season!

Look, if this is weird for you, being tutored? I don't mind helping you a little longer.

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy

Post by lance » Feb 15th 2003, 1:49 am

Spike and Clem,

Yeah, I do hope we get see them again next season. Clem is another one of those irregular charachters that I have grown to like. Hopefully he will escape all the mayhem planned for the end of this season.

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Buffy

Post by lance » Feb 19th 2003, 10:25 am

Another Tuesday another episode of Buffy,

So crew what did you think? I thought the ritual that led to the opening of the portal was pretty slick. I guess Xander will have to fix the house...again.

Best,

Lance Man

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

buffy

Post by lance » Feb 25th 2003, 10:16 pm

Well,

Ya knew this was going to be a lighter Buffy episode before the coming of the final fight for the series. What do you think?

Personally I liked the episode. Yes it was goofy and a bit campy but still good. I like the fact that Xander and Anya are still coming back to each other. I do hope that they work things out. Principal Wood almost went after Spike. So in the final fight will Spike be a liability or will Principle Wood? My money is on the principal.

What about that first segment before the intro when Anya broke up Andrew's musing in the bathroom. Hello! Did you catch that one?

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Feb 26th 2003, 4:38 pm

It's official now - this is the last season of Buffy! Yahoo reported the story here and they got the info from an Entertainment Weekly interview with SMG.

Sammi
Substitute Teacher

Post by Sammi » Feb 26th 2003, 7:13 pm

I loved Faith when she was on Buffy, the season she left is the season I stopped watching. I was looking forward to a possible spinoff, but it is now reported that she has joined the cast of show that will air on Fox next fall.
http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archi ... 314,85288,

GaryEA
So-Called Addict

Post by GaryEA » Feb 26th 2003, 11:30 pm

I don't watch Buffy - the only episode I've ever seen is the musical - but I thought you guys would be chatting about the apparent close of the show in May.

Anyway, whilst looking for other info, I found a piece, dated 2/25, on Zap2it.com regading the fate of the series. It also confirms to a degree what Sammi just said.

Here is the story in it's entirety. I've italicized the part that conflicts with previous rumors...
Gellar Will Exit 'Buffy' in May
Tue, Feb 25, 2003 05:39 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Concluding months of Internet speculation, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" star Sarah Michelle Gellar will indeed be hanging up her wooden stakes come May at the conclusion of the show's seventh season.

While Gellar has given Entertainment Weekly an exclusive regarding her departure for its March 7 issue, sources close to the UPN series confirm to Zap2it.com that the actress will not be part of the cast should "Buffy" return in the fall.

Much about the fate of the show remains up in the air. Core cast members Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas Brendon have both said they believe it's the final year for the show, but no official word has come down from "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon, UPN or producer 20th Century Fox.

Rumors of a possible spin-off still run rampant, although the most likely candidate -- based on the character of Buffy's fellow slayer Faith -- now seems iffy at best since actress Eliza Dushku (who plays the recurring role on both "Buffy" and "Angel") has signed on for the FOX drama pilot "Heroine" about a young woman who finds that she can go back in time and relive single days.

Gellar's last appearance, and for now, the season finale, of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" will air at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, May 20.
So if Dushku is going to Fox, a Faith series possible is pretty much out of the realm of possibility, UNLESS something happens to the Fox show (cancellation) and UPN rushes a Faith program to the air.

Gary

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Post by lance » Feb 27th 2003, 9:39 am

GaryEA wrote:I don't watch Buffy - the only episode I've ever seen is the musical - but I thought you guys would be chatting about the apparent close of the show in May.

Anyway, whilst looking for other info, I found a piece, dated 2/25, on Zap2it.com regading the fate of the series. It also confirms to a degree what Sammi just said.

Here is the story in it's entirety. I've italicized the part that conflicts with previous rumors...
Gellar Will Exit 'Buffy' in May
Tue, Feb 25, 2003 05:39 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Concluding months of Internet speculation, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" star Sarah Michelle Gellar will indeed be hanging up her wooden stakes come May at the conclusion of the show's seventh season.

While Gellar has given Entertainment Weekly an exclusive regarding her departure for its March 7 issue, sources close to the UPN series confirm to Zap2it.com that the actress will not be part of the cast should "Buffy" return in the fall.

Much about the fate of the show remains up in the air. Core cast members Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas Brendon have both said they believe it's the final year for the show, but no official word has come down from "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon, UPN or producer 20th Century Fox.

Rumors of a possible spin-off still run rampant, although the most likely candidate -- based on the character of Buffy's fellow slayer Faith -- now seems iffy at best since actress Eliza Dushku (who plays the recurring role on both "Buffy" and "Angel") has signed on for the FOX drama pilot "Heroine" about a young woman who finds that she can go back in time and relive single days.

Gellar's last appearance, and for now, the season finale, of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" will air at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, May 20.
So if Dushku is going to Fox, a Faith series possible is pretty much out of the realm of possibility, UNLESS something happens to the Fox show (cancellation) and UPN rushes a Faith program to the air.

Gary
Well that just stinks!

:evil: :evil: Thanks though for the information Gary and Candygirl. So this could be the last year for the Buffy/Angel universe for quite sometime to come.

Bummer.

Lance Man

Nostradamus
Marshall Wannabe

Post by Nostradamus » Mar 19th 2003, 4:36 am

Finally got caught up today with "Conversations..."

I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm still uneasy about the mechanics of the Slayerettes. I can see the large numbers if each one is destined to have a brief reign as the Slayer, but how do you account for those who die before they become Slayers? Were they ever truely destined for the job? Then again, this may just reinforce the theory that Buffy's reincarnation threw a serious wrench into the Slayer Continuum.

Buffy's vision quest back to the creation of the first Slayer kinda parallels the genetically engineered "super soldiers" of X-Files lore.

Spike's donning of the old leather reminds me of the Westerns in which the pacified gunman comes out of retirement one last time to ice the new bad guy. Will Principal Wood's revenge be satisfied?
I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.
-- Clarence Darrow

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it.
-- Mark Twain

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 19th 2003, 1:55 pm

I agree that the appearance of the Slayerettes has thrown quite a wrench into the Jossverse. It's strange how some potential slayers (Kendra) were trained from a very young age, while others (Buffy) had no training at all until they were called to their destiny. Buffy's post-mortem life definitely had an effect on the world (sorry to sound so grandiose, but it's true!), although I think that the Scoobies had convinced themselves last season that the piggyback demon was the only consequence.

Even though they have said at several points that the Slayers die young, that doesn't mean one day or even one year - they are usually called around 15 and die in their 20s - so that wouldn't explain why the Slayerettes are all around the same age unless they were going to take turns wearing their Slayer crown each week. I believe that the key part of the phrase is that they are all POTENTIAL slayers, meaning most of them may never be called to become the slayer. Perhaps that is why not all of them were previously approached with a watcher to train them (as Kendra was) - being the Slayer is tough enough as it is, but imagine devoting the better part of your life training and learning to deal with the weight of that destiny only to be passed over or become too old to be called. Let's say one of the SITs becomes the next Slayer - since all the girls are about the same age, that means the probability of any of them becoming the next Slayer is slim to none unless she dies in the next year or so.

Conversations was a great episode though.

:D

Can't wait until next week - new episode!!

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 20th 2003, 1:16 am

Nate Fillion from Firefly will appear on Buffy for the last five episodes.

SPOILERS

Nate will play Caleb, a fallen preacher who will wreak havoc on the Slayerettes and injure Xander, blinding him in one eye. Yes, you read correctly. And we're not talking a little scratch on the cornea. This is not getting a "kiss makes the boo boo all better" kind of treatment either. Xander's injury will cause him to challenge Buffy's leadership, pointing out that they all follow her orders and they pay the price. (All those pirate jokes from the S6 Halloween episode will now come back to haunt him.)

lance
Ed Zwick Wannabe

Buffy

Post by lance » Mar 20th 2003, 9:35 am

Hey all,

Nostradamus and Candygirl

Their is some great speculative fiction out there about past slayers. Check out Tales of the Slayers parts I & II that explores a great deal of the mythos surrounding slayers and their supporters. These are young adult books but are a fun read.

Best,

Lance Man

Natasha (candygirl)
MSCL.com Team
MSCL.com Team

Post by Natasha (candygirl) » Mar 20th 2003, 11:03 pm

These are the kind of books that aren't carried at all the local bookstores (and even then I'm embarrassed to browse through the young adult section - all those Sweet Valley High memories come flooding back) but I will see if they have any of the books at the local libraries.

:D

Have you read any of the Watchers Diaries?